PDA

View Full Version : Training for a 100 mile charity ride??

skiezo
03-14-2016, 04:28 PM
I am planning on doing a 100 mile charity ride this year.
At 52 I can do 50 miles fairly easy but that extra 50 just seems like so much further.
I have about 4 months to work up to this milage. I am looking for some training suggestions to help me reach the 100 mile goal.
What type of training would others suggest to help me achieve my goal.
I have been riding for 30+ years and did the local crit scene in my younger days.
I can get out a few times during the week and have the weekends free.
Thanks Brian

1centaur
03-14-2016, 04:52 PM
The cliche advice for someone who has never ridden a century is to work up to 75 in training and then just gut it out on the day of the century. Your experience is so much greater than that it seems that the mental side will be the harder part.

My advice would be to turn your easy 50 into a 60 several times, then do a 75 to see if you can stand it more than a month before the 100, and if you can then do a few 60-70s and try to psych yourself up for the one time ride. A mistake would be to burn a lot of that enthusiasm up in 75-ish rides, because you don't need them physically so they'd just tax you mentally.

AngryScientist
03-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Hi Brian.

The biggest difference between 50 miles and 100 is that you're going to need nutrition to get you to the century mark. Most of us in good shape can ride 50 miles on just water, but much past that, you need to understand what your body needs to re-fuel and make that happen.

Other variables are important. temperature and elevation gain; wind can be a factor too. Riding a flat 100 in 60 degrees and a hilly century at 90 and two majorly different animals.

that said, if you can ride 50 easily now in similar terrain and conditions to the century you want to tackle, you're well on your way. 50 mile rides mean your fitness is good, i'll leave the specific training advice for others who are better at planning than me, but i dont think you'll have a problem, good luck!

Russian bear
03-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Keep increasing your long rides. The things to worry about on longer rides are going to be fueling and comfort. Get your food dialed in (200-300 cals/hr), drink plenty of water/electrolyte mix and have a good pair of bibs. There's plenty of time if you can do 50 miles already.

Add 5 miles to your long weekend ride every week or even every two weeks. I'd also suggest finding some friends to ride with you if you can, long days in the saddle are much better with some company.

verbs4us
03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Wow! "a few times a week and the weekends free." You're golden. I've done five or six centuries for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, usually in hilly terrain (Nashville, Vermont). My background is similar--Cat 3 when Eddy was still riding, pushing 60. Most charity rides are not races--they don't require high power output. They more require endurance to just be in the saddle for 7 hours or so. How comfortable is your fit? If there's a problem (numb hands, achy knees, stiff back, etc) consider getting a good fit early in the training so you train in the new fit. For me, I'm very sensitive to millimeter-scale tweaks in saddle angle/fore-aft and height, so I spend a lot of trial and error time whenever equipment changes. Ditto for cleat positions.

I find that consistency is training is more importance than long rides spaced too far apart. In other words, a few 30 or 30 milers during the week and one long (60 mile or more) ride on weekends will do it.

What is the terrain of the ride and the expected weather conditions? I live in hilly terrain in the east, so that helps me ride in the hills when it's hot and steamy. The guys from Florida don't like the hills, and the guys from SoCal don't like the humidity.

Rest is also key. Overtraining can be worse than undertraining if it leads to a pre-event injury or sickness that sidelines you.

Overall, once you find what "works" in training--food, favorite socks, liquid, most comfortable bibs, etc--stick with it. Don't switch variables at the last minute. You want to forget about all your gear, make it disappear and enjoy the ride!

OtayBW
03-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Hi Brian.

The biggest difference between 50 miles and 100 is that you're going to need nutrition to get you to the century mark. Most of us in good shape can ride 50 miles on just water, but much past that, you need to understand what your body needs to re-fuel and make that happen.

Other variables are important. temperature and elevation gain; wind can be a factor too. Riding a flat 100 in 60 degrees and a hilly century at 90 and two majorly different animals.

that said, if you can ride 50 easily now in similar terrain and conditions to the century you want to tackle, you're well on your way. 50 mile rides mean your fitness is good, i'll leave the specific training advice for others who are better at planning than me, but i dont think you'll have a problem, good luck!I think this is good advice. I would only say that if you ride 50 now easily in this ~same terrain, you are more than well on your way. With 4 months to get ready, I'd say that you will do it easily with no problem! Aside from the hydration/nutrition, it's really no big whoop. It's often more of a mind thing, but you will be ready. Enjoy it!

SoCalSteve
03-14-2016, 06:02 PM
I was a professional cycling coach for Team In Training for many years. I trained people who had hardly ridden a bike before to do a century ride after 12-14 weeks of training.

You are much more than half way there. Most of what everyone has said up til now is correct. My 2 cents ( fwiw ).

Train to 80 miles adding about 5 miles a week until you hit 80 ( maybe 85 if your feeling good ). Figure out routes where you can stop at approximately 20 mile intervals. Get off your bike briefly, fill up water bottles ( nature break if need be ) and eat some high carb foods such as fig newtons and pretzels.

Get back on your bike quickly after these short SAG stops. This will more than likely be how the course will be laid out. If possible ride with people. If possible do an event ( metric century or something close ) before the actual event. This will give you a chance to get a feel for what it's like when 5000 plus people are sharing the same roads with you. If possible learn to properly pace line in a group so when the event is on, you can feel comfortable riding with strangers and pacelining. This also has the added benefit of making your ride feel shorter as you won't burn up as much energy riding behind a big dude.

I'm sure there is more, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Good luck to you!

sitzmark
03-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Skiezo - as others have said, you've got this. Having confidence from actually completing 100 is all you lack at this point. Once you check that box centuries become almost a "rinse and repeat" activity.

I have ridden the same century every year for 7 years (going on 8). Going into that first century 8 years ago, I was also early 50's and hadn't ridden a bike since I was 30. So you're starting from a much stronger place. The course for that event is 100 miles and 6,000-6,500 feet of climbing depending on the tracking device. It seemed daunting for me, but I jumped onto a "typical" 12 week training program that increased total miles every week and topped out with a 75 mile ride the week before the event. Going into the final week all riding was reduced ("tapered") to "stay fit and loose" and allow the body to fully recover before the event - plenty of rest, hydration, fuel leading into the final 2 days and then do the ride. The actual ride wasn't easy, but it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I had anticipated. I now ride 4-5 or more century(+) events every year.

The century that started it all for me is held every October, so I've ridden it in 90*F+, 34*F/ raining/snowing, and everything in-between. Every year seems to present a different challenge, but I know what to expect and it's all but routine now. Wind and whether I ride paceline or solo affects my pace more than anything. Other centuries have different elevation profiles, which change things up a bit, but my general "rhythm" is pretty much the same - stop around 50, 75, and maybe 90ish if it's blisteringly hot, then finish up.

When you do the ride, pay particular attention to when your body feels challenged or isn't responding as you'd like. Probably will correlate with hydration and fueling deficiencies, which you can experiment with in subsequent training and (try) to avoid the next time around. Most important have fun and enjoy the ride.

Bradford
03-14-2016, 10:34 PM
In addition to the excellent advice above, it always helps me to think of it as five 20 mile rides in a day rather than a 100 mile ride. Take the brakes, hit the bathroom, have something to eat, then ride another 20 miles.

Don't let the age thing worry you, plenty of us in our 50's can get through these rides without any problems, just a little bit slower than the young guns.

fogrider
03-14-2016, 10:51 PM
the things to watch out for with a century with 6,000+ feet of climbing is the climbing. if you're one of these thin guys that can climb, then no problem. if not, then be sure to train hard, but on the century ride, go easy on the climbs. make sure you save for the last 20 miles. and remember if you're going to be out in the sun all day, be sure to use sun screen!

OtayBW
03-15-2016, 04:42 AM
Don't let the age thing worry you, plenty of us in our 50's (or older...) can get through these rides without any problems, just a little bit slower than the young guns.
Fixed it for you...:beer:

Ray
03-15-2016, 05:12 AM
My first century resulted from a wrong turn on a charity ride - I was planning to do the metric, missed the turnoff, and found myself on the full century route. I'd never done more than 65 before that. I just paced myself a little bit more than I had been, ate plenty, and ended up feeling great when I finished. I was around 40 at the time, so I had a bit of age on my side, but I'd say if you're comfortable doing 50 now, just work up to being able to do 65-70 semi-hard between now and then, and you'll be fine. I always found when I was riding those distances that I'd always hit a wall at SOME point on a century ride. I never knew when it was gonna come - sometimes after 30 miles, sometimes after 60, sometimes around 80, but it always happened. But I'd always get through it and then feel fine for the rest of the ride. I only remember one century ride where I was hurting at the end of the ride, and that was in the middle of a weeklong tour where we were doing about 70-80 every day, it was about 98 degrees on the century day, and humid, and THAT one was real hard to finish. But go in rested, eat and drink enough, and don't try to stay with people that are faster than you can maintain. You'll do fine.

These days I only ride about 30-35 tops, but I did lots of long rides for a lot of years and it's not hard - you just have to put in the miles. If you enjoy the riding enough, that's not hard to do...

-Ray

Hilltopperny
03-15-2016, 05:28 AM
Leading up to my first solo 100 mile ride, I made an effort to do two 60 mile rides a week as well as the the usual 20 to 30 mile rides mixed in. When it came time for the 100 mile ride I just paced myself. The first 50 miles of my route there was about 5000+ feet of climbing with headwinds, but the next 50 were spent descending the majority of the ride with a tail wind. Nutrition and hydration were key to finishing without any issue. I did three solo 100 mile rides last season after a major reconstruction of my foot and ankle. The last was in December. Good luck and enjoy it :beer:

carpediemracing
03-15-2016, 05:34 AM
I am planning on doing a 100 mile charity ride this year.
At 52 I can do 50 miles fairly easy but that extra 50 just seems like so much further.
I have about 4 months to work up to this milage. I am looking for some training suggestions to help me reach the 100 mile goal.
What type of training would others suggest to help me achieve my goal.
I have been riding for 30+ years and did the local crit scene in my younger days.
I can get out a few times during the week and have the weekends free.
Thanks Brian

I have full confidence you can do it. 52 by itself is not a concern, unless you have other specific health concerns.

If you can do 50 you'll certainly be able to do two 50s. Take it easy, don't worry about pace, ideally work with others (esp if you did the crit scene, you'll understand that).

If you start earlier in the morning you may do your first 50 by, say, 10 AM. After that it'll seem pretty straightforward to do another 50 before the end of the day.

I tell people, half seriously, that I could run a marathon tomorrow. The question is just when do I think I could walk again after that. Based on running a fake 5k on zero training (no running at all, get on a treadmill and hit the 5k button and go as fast as I can), it might be a month, because after doing a fake 5k absolutely cold I had problems walking for a week, and for a few days I could barely move.

You have the advantage of already having the conditioning to ride. It's just a matter of extending the range a bit.

As far as shorts etc go, if you're good you're good. Just remember to stand often. You don't have to stand a lot, just often. And move your hands around.

You may find that some heartier foods will help, ones with protein and/or fat as well as easily burnable sugars. If it's a supported ride you'll find PB&J and some other stuff at rest stops. I like peanuts for example, and fattier carb foods (Pop Tarts come to mind, although I haven't had one in a while). Gels and such only get me so far, and they seem overly sweet after a while.

skiezo
03-15-2016, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Im sure I will be fine. The last century for me was 20 or so years ago. That was on a steel basso ascot in 8 speed.
When I had my fit at the barn I stated that this build would be for distance and comfort. I think that they hit the geo dead on. With a few small tweaks from the builder it is spot on so far. Tho not many miles on it yet. Still need to get the steer tube cut to length also. Here is the bike I will be riding on.
http://i.imgur.com/DGSdLxal.jpg
Here is the geo that it was built to.
http://i.imgur.com/Po14Wy2l.jpg
Im 5'11" with a 31" inseam,long torso, so I have trouble finding stock bikes with the proper fit.

Not sure if I will ride the HED tubulars or a set of HED alloy clinchers.
There will be 4 of us riding in a group so that will help as well.
Here is the web site for the ride as well.
http://www.thechocolatetour.com/

Thanks Brian

merlinmurph
03-15-2016, 07:36 AM
The things to worry about on longer rides are going to be fueling and comfort.

52? HA! You're in the prime of your life, according to this 62-year-old. ;-)

I would agree that fueling and comfort are #1. I find that on longer rides, my issues aren't necessarily my legs. Usually, it may be the niggling pain in the shoulders or neck, my butt, or not eating/drinking enough.

You're way ahead of the game, you'll do great. Just get some long days in and enjoy the ride.

josephr
03-15-2016, 08:41 AM

some other forum members may think this to be heresy, but I'm going to recommend clinchers just because the "if anything goes wrong" factor...easier road side repair and if you end up with multiple flat issues, the sag wagons' volunteers will have plenty of spare tubes.

I'd say 4 months to go from 50 to 100 will be much easier than going from 20-62. I'd go ahead and sign up for some metric centuries and even some 80 milers in the next couple of months...make sure you get in 15-25 mile flat recovery rides on Sunday.

verbs4us
03-15-2016, 10:43 AM
A note about fueling...my experience with charity rides is they tend to be very well supported. One year at the starting line for a JDRF ride, I was chatting with a rider more experienced on the course, and asked: "What's the hardest part of this ride?" He thought for a minute and said: "It's so well supported, you can actually gain weight."

tv_vt
03-15-2016, 11:19 AM
To paraphrase Mr Berra:
Riding a century is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

kevinvc
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
From what you've said, you could go out and do the ride tomorrow. It's amazing what the body can do in that sort of environment where you're psyched up and riding with a bunch of other people.

Of course, how you feel the next few days after the ride will be largely affected by how much you train, so keep doing what you're doing and use the remaining weeks to gradually build up the lengths of your rides as much as you can.

There's a supported century that I do every year that has folks who are definitely not regular cyclists. I've chatted with several people who say they barely take the bike out of the garage a dozen times a year, many on really heavy "low end" bikes, and lots who are clearly not at high fitness levels. And these are people who I've met at the end of the ride after they've completed it.

My assumption is that you won't have any problem with the ride. You might feel fatigued at the end, but you already have enough of a base that the fun and excitement will be more than enough to get you to the finish.

One thing to keep in mind on this type of ride is that there will be people of all skill levels. Don't feel compelled to try to keep up with faster riders. You will likely find others who ride at a similar pace to you and it can be fun riding and chatting with new friends along the way. Personally though, I do not fall into a paceline with groups of strangers on this kind of ride. It just takes one person to cross wheels or grab a handful of brake to take you out and unless you have familiarity and trust established with the others, a charity ride is probably not the place to start.

Another common mistake is that you shouldn't feel obligated to stop at every rest area and eat something. Some of these rides have support stations every 15 miles or so with snacks at every one. If you don't need a break or some fuel, stopping and eating that many times along the way is a good way to get over-full. Your digestive system doesn't really like to work hard when your overall body is stressed. Eating a power bar or handful of cookies every stop is a good way to get bloated and uncomfortable. Fuel is important, but you need to keep it in line with what your body actually needs.

What and where is this ride? There's a decent chance someone else on the forum might be planning on doing it as well.

cdn_bacon
03-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Rode an imperial century for the first time solo. One of the course marshalls forgot to inform me ( as well as other riders) that there was a feed station available. So i biked on.

60 kms on 1 granola bar and 2 bottles of liquid on a 35 C degree day made it extremely difficult. I did manage to get to the next feed zone (and stuff my pockets as well as soak my shirt)

I'm sure I could have kept my pace higher, but talk about going through a range of emotions when you are depleted of energy, have no food, and it's hot outside as well as facing 60 MORE kms until the end. Wasn't my best day I tell ya.

So eat drink and be merry. the rest is a mind game. (except for the burning legs ;)

skiezo
03-15-2016, 11:51 AM
The ride is called the Penn State Chocolate Tour. It is based out of Hershey PA.
Here is a link to the site,
http://www.thechocolatetour.com/

I just went and got some new clincher tires so I will more than likely be riding one of the alloy clinchers that I have. Either the Industry Nine torch I25TL wheels or a set of HED C2 rims built on WI T11 hubs. I agree that it will be easier to be prepared with clinchers over the tubulars.

cdn_bacon
03-15-2016, 01:07 PM
mmmm torch. Either will suffice. It's your mind we're after.

great looking bike though. We'll need a ride repost post 100:banana:

carpediemracing
03-15-2016, 01:38 PM

100000% clinchers, because easier to fix.

Also those tubulars look like Stingers. They are an absolute beeyatch to control if you flat, due the wide rim. I've ridden pretty hard on flat tubular tires on regular rims (just one flat, front or rear, but I've ridden pretty fast on a front flat, catching two guys doing a paceline on a rolling mainly descending road), but the wide rim... I couldn't even make it around an extremely gradual bend. I ended up stopping with my front wheel against the curb on the other side of the road. I race on Stingers but train on clinchers.

Pierre
03-15-2016, 01:45 PM
In addition to what's been said:

1) find some gels that work well and then get 2 caffeinated ones and pound them back 1.5hrs and 45min until the end. You will feel like a beast. Put them in a known location in one of your pockets.

2) chamois cream, use it. If in doubt put a small amount in a Ziploc and put some on at lunch (I would eat first).

3) figure out how many climbs are involved. Any climb in the last third of the ride could be the end of you if you have run out of matches.

4) do not make any changes to clothing, accessories, or bike less than 4 weeks before ride.

As has been said already, you could do the ride tomorrow. The question is how do you want to feel after the ride? If you want to feel just good enough to walk back to your car, just keep doing what you are doing. If you want to feel great, work in some longer rides but don't over do it!!!

Oh, tuck two advils into your flat kit box. Never know when those knee tendons are going to start to flare. Advil will set you straight until you are back home.

Pierre
03-15-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure I'd cut the steerer...bike looks awesome!

vqdriver
03-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Ride your ride.
Stop each sag? Go ahead. Every other? That's cool too.
My first century just felt like 5 20 mile rides. Not easy, but not nearly as hard as the number "100" suggests.
As mentioned, I think fitness wise you're ahead of the curve.
Ill just add that any hardware changes need to happen now, not later. And yeah, clinchers.