PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Core initial impressions?

sandyrs
03-14-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm sure a number of people bought Core jerseys and shorts when they first came out. What are your impressions so far? I'm especially interested in hearing how the fit compares with the Pro Team line. The Pro Team jersey in L and bibs in XL fit me basically perfectly. The Classic jersey in size L was way too loose for my preferred fit. I'd imagine the Core jersey fits somewhere between the two, but where?

AngryScientist
03-14-2016, 09:53 AM
i just picked up a kit last week at the rapha store here in soho.

it's OK. I havent actually worn the bibs yet, as it's still knickers season here, but the chamois appears to be the same as in the better bibs they make, so that's good.

sizing of the bibs appears to be the same as with all the other rapha bibs i own, pro team included.

the jersey is more "club cut" than the pro team stuff, not overly so though. i wear a medium in pro team stuff, and the small core jersey fits me well. wore it last week on that 70 degree day actually.

i wont be buying any more of the core jerseys at full price. there is nothing special about them at all, and are similar in value and construction as cheaper stuff. not bad, mind you, but not great either.

AngryScientist
03-14-2016, 09:54 AM
also - you're super tall. I, on the other hand - am not. the small jersey, is cut quite short IMO, even for me. i suspect in every other regard if you like the L pro team jersey, the M core would fit you well, but be quite short, i would think.

sandyrs
03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
also - you're super tall. I, on the other hand - am not. the small jersey, is cut quite short IMO, even for me. i suspect in every other regard if you like the L pro team jersey, the M core would fit you well, but be quite short, i would think.

Thanks Nick! I have a short torso for my height but much shorter than the Pro Team L would be unseemly off the bike, even if it still worked on it.

jlwdm
03-14-2016, 10:51 AM
I ordered the light blue jersey but sent it back. Sleeves are longer than I like. Material seemed fine but the plain color was not very exciting.

Jeff

sandyrs
03-14-2016, 11:20 AM
I ordered the light blue jersey but sent it back. Sleeves are longer than I like. Material seemed fine but the plain color was not very exciting.

Jeff

Funny, I like long sleeves which is why the Pro Team line works so well for me. But I know they are not everyone's favorite.

bcroslin
03-14-2016, 11:51 AM

I always felt like the super light-weight jerseys were cut really short and from the images I've seen online the core jerseys look a lot like the super light weights.

MattTuck
03-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks Nick! I have a short torso for my height but much shorter than the Pro Team L would be unseemly off the bike, even if it still worked on it.

Dude, do they even have a sample size large enough to know what a normal torso height is for people your height? :)

Dallez
03-14-2016, 12:05 PM
My only Rapha product is the Super Light Weight jersey and IMO it is cut short. I currently wear shorts and it is a little annoying because it wants to ride up. Probably less of an issue with bibs. I hope the core jersey is a little longer. How do the Pro Team jerseys relate length wise relative the Super Light Weight?

beeatnik
03-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Longish sleeves are PRO

ojingoh
03-14-2016, 12:46 PM
My only Rapha product is the Super Light Weight jersey and IMO it is cut short. I currently wear shorts and it is a little annoying because it wants to ride up. Probably less of an issue with bibs. I hope the core jersey is a little longer. How do the Pro Team jerseys relate length wise relative the Super Light Weight?

My super lightweight is shortest, then PT, then classic. I like the classic the most. I have a wide/broad torso.

livingminimal
03-14-2016, 01:23 PM
I would typically wear the XL bibs in Pro Team or Classic....

I bought the Core bibs at the PopUp in XL and they are WAY too snug...sending them back for credit. I couldn't even get them past my knees without concern I was going to start popping seams.

Meanwhile I seriously wear my Pro Team Thermals every day without an issue...not sure I want to ask for XXL core or just use the credit for something else but was a little bummed for sure.

Edit: Circling back on this, in case anyone revisits this thread, I tried to fit in them again and they were actually fine. The key was really getting the grippers past my knees which were inexplicably tighter than any Rapha grippers I'd had before.

Gonna ride in them now and see how they are but yes, the XL do fit me comparably to the classics or pro-teams, just with a hell of a lot more thigh-band grip

bentaco
03-14-2016, 01:25 PM
FYI it looks like they're running a promotion now where you get a free pair of arm warmers with any jersey purchase. In case anyone was on the fence, that makes the core jerseys a pretty decent deal.

metalheart
03-23-2016, 11:26 AM
I need a couple jerseys for late spring into mid-summer (85-95 degrees). I have a discount coupon for Rapha and the Core and Special Edition Classic II jerseys look like good options. Any updates on the Core or comments on the Special Edition Classic II (below)?

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h2f/hd1/8985596952606/CLJ05XXBBK-Product-H116-Front_SMALL

I have one Rapha, a Trade Team (http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/trade-team-jersey/product/TTJ02XXWHTXSM) that fits me just fine. I read somewhere the Trade Team is somewhere between the Pro and Classic in fit?

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/hba/h63/8801826930718/TTJ02-Product-SS14-07.jpg_SMALL

ojingoh
03-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Longish sleeves are PRO

Totally true. The reason is before the short sleeve full zip jersey became a thing, pros would take the long sleeve tops from the team service course and cut the sleeves off. I saw a few pros in this year's MSR rocking the chop.

sandyrs
03-23-2016, 11:41 AM
I need a couple jerseys for late spring into mid-summer (85-95 degrees). I have a discount coupon for Rapha and the Core and Special Edition Classic II jerseys look like good options. Any updates on the Core or comments on the Special Edition Classic II (below)?

Unless the classic jersey ii is a major update on the fabric of the original classic jersey, no way would I wear that thing in 85-95 degree heat. The Pro Team stuff is much more appropriate for that temperature. I imagine the Lightweight or Super Lightweight apparel would work too.

chiasticon
03-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Unless the classic jersey ii is a major update on the fabric of the original classic jersey, no way would I wear that thing in 85-95 degree heat. The Pro Team stuff is much more appropriate for that temperature. I imagine the Lightweight or Super Lightweight apparel would work too.I can't wear the classic or club (both made of sportwool) in anything above 70 or so. unless it's a very relaxed-pace ride. lightweight is ok up until about 80. above that, it's either super lightweight or pro team. the core stuff looks to be very similar to the super lightweight, to me, but I haven't tried it.

for me, the classic/club jerseys only work for brief periods of the spring and fall. or random "cold" days in the summer. they'd likely be daily drivers if I lived in the PNW or san fransisco, I imagine.

madsciencenow
03-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Same comment as above on the wool-based jerseys from Rapha. Mid 60s to maybe 70. This said they work great in lower temps. I like the super lightweight for temps up into the 90s. The aero and climbers jersey are also good for higher temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckfifty
03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
can anyone comment how the core bibs ride? thinking of buying a pair. thanks

bloody sunday
03-23-2016, 04:33 PM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h2f/hd1/8985596952606/CLJ05XXBBK-Product-H116-Front_SMALL

I have one Rapha, a Trade Team (http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/trade-team-jersey/product/TTJ02XXWHTXSM) that fits me just fine. I read somewhere the Trade Team is somewhere between the Pro and Classic in fit?

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/hba/h63/8801826930718/TTJ02-Product-SS14-07.jpg_SMALL

I have the old classic and it was my favorite jersey. bought the core and I love it more. The longer sleeves is actually really nice

bloody sunday
03-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Unless the classic jersey ii is a major update on the fabric of the original classic jersey, no way would I wear that thing in 85-95 degree heat. The Pro Team stuff is much more appropriate for that temperature. I imagine the Lightweight or Super Lightweight apparel would work too.

I wear mine in hot weather and it's perfectly fine in my opinion. I also run pretty hot.

bcroslin
03-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Friend of mine bought the core bibs and jersey. He likes the bibs and said the chamois is the same as in the pro-team stuff. The jersey is roomier and fits a little on the big side. I may pick up a pair of bibs but I'll be skipping the jersey.