PDA

View Full Version : Help: Campy 11 cassette lockring rubs inside of chain stay (DT Swiss hub)

Wayne77
03-13-2016, 04:38 PM
My cassette lockring is rubbing against the inner surface if the chain stay on my Ridley Noah. If anyone can give me some ideas here it would be much appreciated. I have a campy 11 cassette (12-27) on a DT Swiss 240S hub (Reyonolds branded hub from some 46/66 tubulars). There are no spacers behind the cassette. The face of the axle end-cap barely protrudes beyond the lock ring, but it is almost even, so I suspect that is the problem. However, I can't figure out how to solve the issue. The lock ring is cinched down tight, and the campy cassette cogs are all spaced evenly...its a Campy factory cassette on a std DT Swiss/Reynolds hub.

Is the 240S/Campy 11sp free hub simply not compatible with some frames that have thicker stays? Any ideas how this cab be fixed?

Maybe DT swiss makes a different axle for Campy where maybe my wheels that were purchased with a Campy cassette came incorrectly configured with a Shimano axle?

Do they make spacers you can put inside an axle end cap? OI just need something to get the axle end cap to protrude more from the face of the lockring.

Scratching my head...

kramnnim
03-13-2016, 04:56 PM
I had this problem, stuck some spacers between the end cap and the end of the axle.

Cicli
03-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Is the wheel centered between the chain and seat stays?

ultraman6970
03-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Is the last cog in the right place?? it needs to fit in the indentations of the previous cog.

The spacer solution is easy, a 2 mm washer and good to go.

There's lockrings that are basically flat as a washer, you can try to locate one or grind yours flat mechanically.

oldpotatoe
03-14-2016, 05:37 AM
My cassette lockring is rubbing against the inner surface if the chain stay on my Ridley Noah. If anyone can give me some ideas here it would be much appreciated. I have a campy 11 cassette (12-27) on a DT Swiss 240S hub (Reyonolds branded hub from some 46/66 tubulars). There are no spacers behind the cassette. The face of the axle end-cap barely protrudes beyond the lock ring, but it is almost even, so I suspect that is the problem. However, I can't figure out how to solve the issue. The lock ring is cinched down tight, and the campy cassette cogs are all spaced evenly...its a Campy factory cassette on a std DT Swiss/Reynolds hub.

Is the 240S/Campy 11sp free hub simply not compatible with some frames that have thicker stays? Any ideas how this cab be fixed?

Maybe DT swiss makes a different axle for Campy where maybe my wheels that were purchased with a Campy cassette came incorrectly configured with a Shimano axle?

Do they make spacers you can put inside an axle end cap? OI just need something to get the axle end cap to protrude more from the face of the lockring.

Scratching my head...

I wonder if you might have a shorter RH axle end, like a shimano 10s one?

Call DT in Grand Junction and ask for axle end dimensions.

(970) 242-9232

Wayne77
03-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guy, much appreciated. The wheel is definitely centered. I checked the last cog interface with the other cogs and it looks fine. I like the spacer solution - I'll give that a shot. oldpotatoe, thanks for the contact info - I'll be calling DT Swiss.

Anyway, I haven't had any issues with this exact same whee and cassette with a steel Zanconato. It has much thinner stays at the drop outs though. The Ridley stays are pretty fat...so it may just be the Ridley has very little tolerance.

For now I'm good - I switched to a Powertap/Enve wheelset and no issues. Interestingly the powertap GS hub which has DT Swiss 240s internals and freewheel fits just fine. Other dimensions might be slightly different. Also, this hub has a Sram 11 cassette (rather than Campy 11). Maybe the Sram lockring is thinner. It appears to curve inward at the edges. I have above 1.5mm clearance now.