PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the right stem

dirtdigger88
03-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Ok, lots of you have seen my Legend in the Image gallery, if you have not please check it out. As has been discused in the posts, my Thomson stem is not recommened for carbon steer tubes :crap: If you look at the picture of my bike you can see the look that I am going for, a black stem just will not cut it. who else makes a polished threadless stem, what about a ti stem? I understand that the problem with the Thomson stem is that it can pinch the carbon steerer tube, could I put a shim in to stop the pinch, you know something like Greg Lemond and his Coke can shims? The bike has the perfect "look" that I had envisioned from the beginning, but if I crash and die, what good is having your dream bike. (I guess crashing and dying would not be as bad as crashing and living and being brain dead. . . but I digress). Please help me out. Lets get some of the heavy weights of this site to put their heads together and help me out.

Jason

zap
03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Your right, not to many polished stems.

I wouldn't use shims as it won't distribute the stress any.

For a similiar clean look, take a look at the ITM Uniko white carbon stem. Same weight as the Thomson and you won't have any bolts to strip. You should be able to use your current bar as well.

Regarding Ti, Moots and Seven offer some nice stems but may not be "correct". You might be able to find an Ibis stem on Ebay.

The other option is to buy a suitable stem and strip the external black anodizing using Oven Off and a lot of elbow grease.

Smiley
03-31-2004, 06:14 PM
ITM makes an expensive magnesium stem , I think its like $250 .

dirtdigger88
03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
I just had someone mention the Truvativ rouleur, that comes in polished. Does anyone else out there use a Thomson stem on a fork with a carbon steerer?

eddief
03-31-2004, 06:20 PM
These are exceptional.

IXXI
03-31-2004, 08:22 PM
I run a Thomson on my O2. LBS says there's no truth to the rumor?/fact? that you can't use Thomson on a carbon steerer. (LBS is a big time Serotta dealer/fitter.)

The stem on my naked Legend is black; I have a polished one on my mtn bike. I must say that I thought the only route to go was black for me...until I saw your polished in place. Very very cool effect.

For my purposes, I'm sticking with black because the other accents are black also...post, headset, race x lites. (Yes, I know, post a pic. Am getting on that as I type.)

Needs Help
03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
You can also have a stem cutom made for something like $150 and up.

Jeff N.
03-31-2004, 09:10 PM
I am being told by a reliable source that the Thompson stem is not only OK for a carbon steerer, it is one of only a few that is actually recommended! Jeff N.

BigMac
03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
I can see how some cf steerer vendors could have concerns with this stem, the actually tensioning cam-like device is pretty small. Other than the small tensioning surface area and the fact that the Thomsen stem is industrial fugly, to my admittedly conservative eye at least, this is the best production removable faceplate stem available, imo. Heck, it's even quite reasonably priced relatively speaking.

The question I have is why do we need removable faceplates, industrial-ugly cnc'd designs and weird clamping mechanisms that don't work as well as the simple split-pinch clamp defacto designs. If looks don't matter, a Salsa stem can be had online or from most shops for $29. I'm referring of course to the non-SUL faceplate model, just a simple pinch clamp for steerer and bars. Don't knock it, it does work, plain and simple. Peel off the ugly decal and spray it with RustOleum any color you desire if you please.

Now for the true connoisseur of beautiful AND function AND safe stems, nothing matches a custom filet-brazed steel stem. Most skilled steel brazers will build'em, I personally use Steve Rex custom built stems but if you're not located in NorCal, there are likely better, more localized options. Best of all, a custom stem is always the exact rise/drop and extension for a proper fit and the finish is custom to whatever your heart desires...and/or wallet can accomodate. For a true "polished" look, ask for the stem to be delivered unfinished -- the filets should be filed and sanded smooth but no primer or paint has been applied. Take said stem to your local plater, call custom chopper/Harley shops for good references, and have stem nickel plated. Now you could choose chrome plating which is swell for a museum showpeice or wallhanging but for real riding the glare will be aggrivating in time. Nickel is slightly duller than chrome but will develop a warm patina in time, not unlike polished Ti, just a shade or two lighter. As an added bonus, determine exact height of necessary spacers under stem then have stem builder cut a peice of steel tubing the desired length, same OD as stem clamp, have it plated to match your stem. The result is a single integrated design, almost quill stem look with exception of the pinch clamp ears located at back of stem.

I've attempted to attach an image of the nickel-plated stem and spacer on my Legend which I hope works. I'm about as far removed from being computer competent but here goes. :rolleyes:

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jeff N.
03-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Can't tell, but is your stem split all the way down the rear? Jeff N.

Jeff N.
03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
The Thompson is also out there in SILVER. Jeff N.

BigMac
03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Jeff:
Not clear what your exact question is. There is a 28mm spacer located between the hs and the stem, the actual stem clamp area extends maybe 5mm below where the extension is attached. Because the spacer and clamp are constructed from same steel tubing and the finish is identical, tthey are nearly indistinguishable w/o looking VERY closely. This is what I was referring to as an "integrated" look. Is that what you were asking? Is my explanation about as clear as mud? :crap: Sorry, the picture quality is not great, it would perhaps be clearer from a different point of view. I actually took this image and a similar side profile of entire bike for "Needs Help" several weeks ago when he requested what a large Serotta frame might look like.

Ride on!

Jeff N.
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
OK, OK. Looking at the photo, it looks like the stem and "spacer" are one solid custom-made unit. Jeff N.

IXXI
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Sorry, but to me, Thomsons are some of the best looking out there. I like something on the slightly non-traditional side of things as long as it is super-functional and clean looking. Gives you just enough sumpin to spice up the same old same old.

For me, it depends on the bike: it works on my Legend; it will not work on my lugged Vanilla single speed.

dirtdigger88
03-31-2004, 11:18 PM
I think what appeals to you is largely based on your back ground in cycling. I came from a BMX, MTB back ground. I like the polished BMX bikes of the 70's. I have ridden MTB for since 1985. Thomsom stems are a staple of the MTB crowd, I have one on my FSR. Maybe it is like bringing a bit of the dirt to the road. I know I first got speedplay pedals because of the dual sided entry ala MTB. To me MTB is all about the new bells and whistles that make you go fast and road riding is all about the rich history. Sure 1" threaded steel forks worked just fine, but the latest and greatest carbon fiber ones are pretty darn cool too. I just happen the be a MTBer who LOVES to ride on the road

Jason

jpw
04-01-2004, 05:17 AM
I also heard the rumor that the angels have banned people from riding throught the gateway to heaven on a Legend with a Thomson stem. Even walking it through won't get it past them these days. They have such good taste. No, the Thomson just won't do.

Moots stems are nice, but are not polished. It would be interesting to see Moots introduce that option on their stuff. Bead blast can be a little bit boring sometimes, and when it's marked there's nothing that can be done about it at home.

Tricky.