PDA

View Full Version : rain bike?

fogrider
03-12-2016, 08:13 PM
So I get my butt out on a bike today and it's been wet lately...this morning was suppose to be dry but the ground was wet and there were some showers and lots of folks were on their good bikes...Parlee, a few Specialized Tarmacs, lots of carbon rims...one guy had a Trek Emonda with full DA. do they only have one bike?

Tickdoc
03-12-2016, 08:16 PM
So I get my butt out on a bike today and it's been wet lately...this morning was suppose to be dry but the ground was wet and there were some showers and lots of folks were on their good bikes...Parlee, a few Specialized Tarmacs, lots of carbon rims...one guy had a Trek Emonda with full DA. do they only have one bike?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Today we had the same....mist, fog, and wet streets. Most were on their good bikes. One on his master light beauty, and a friend who usually rides steel on his Tarmac, or his rain bike as he calls it.

sandyrs
03-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Hard as it is to believe for us here who agonize over every detail, most cyclists don't think about their bikes that much.

Edit: I'm with joosttx too, bikes are tools and unless you're riding an irreplaceable 1960 Alex Singer you should be comfortable enjoying your bike in most weather situations. I understand wanting fenders in the rain though.

joosttx
03-12-2016, 08:55 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1533/24909557904_76ecde685a_c.jpg

I always wonder why ride a crappier bike when you can ride the bike you love. parts can be replaced. I personally love seeing cyclists on nice bikes jamming in the elements

fogrider
03-12-2016, 09:20 PM

I always wonder why ride a crappier bike when you can ride the bike you love. parts can be replaced. I personally love seeing cyclists on nice bikes jamming in the elements

I would never recommend riding a crappy bike anytime...but some bikes are better equipped for the rain. Yes bikes are tools, but carbon rims in the rain and wet dirt just gets in everything, from the chain and derailleur cables and shifters.

rwsaunders
03-12-2016, 09:22 PM
No sense in denying yourself the pleasure of riding a nice bike when it's wet outside. From my point of view though, fenders make the heart grow fonder, and I've made the effort to ensure that my rain bike is equally as functional and just as fun to ride as my other bike.

joosttx
03-12-2016, 09:22 PM
I would never recommend riding a crappy bike anytime...but some bikes are better equipped for the rain. Yes bikes are tools, but carbon rims in the rain and wet dirt just gets in everything, from the chain and derailleur cables and shifters.

Fascinating observation. :)

weisan
03-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I was going to ride my nice steel serotta regular road bike this morning but then my ride leader texted me to say we gonna start the ride 2 hrs later to allow a passing shower to go by. I was already all dressed up and loaded up in the car but after getting the latest update, I went back into the garage to fix a few things and burned time. While waiting, I decided to ride the Merlin Ti cross bike that has 32mm compass tires, full fenders and even a rack in the back as it sometimes serves light touring duties, thinking that it will pick up its rain bike duty today. Sure enough, the roads were wet and there were puddles everywhere because it been raining over the last few days. I thought I made the right choice in swapping out the bikes but not long into the ride, maybe 10 miles in, I realized the rear wheel had been rubbing on something, I thought maybe the fender or the brakes. The group stopped for me to take a look and we discovered that the problem was with the hub, that the cones have come loose and allowing the wheel to wobble side to side. At that point, without the proper tools, I knew it's gonna be a tall order to keep pace with the group the rest of the way on our 50 mile ride so I asked them to carry on without me. After everyone was gone, I "rolled up my sleeves" figuratively speaking, flipped the bike upside down, and attempted some emergency roadside repair. With my "bear claws" (read fingers) and some makeshift tools that I have, I managed to tighten the cones up enough to eliminate the wobble. I wasn't sure how long that's gonna hold as I made my way back to the car and since I am no longer among the hammerheads, I conveniently switched into "tourist" mode and rode at my "preferred" pace, taking my time to enjoy the scenery of our beautiful Texas Hill Country. The temperature remained cool at around 60s, I had my pink Rapha wool jersey on, the nice cushy ride provided by the bigger volume compass tires (courtesy of etu-pal), the fenders kept both my feet and the back of my $$ jersey (did I already mention Rapha?) clean and dry...about 35 minutes later I came upon the intersection where I would leave the hill country and get back on the city road leading back to the car about 2-3 miles down the road. I was having such a good time that I was reluctant to give it up and just call it a day so I checked on the rear wheel again, after confirming that everything seemed to be holding together, I decided to turn around and do the same loop one more time. By the time I got back to my car, I ended up with 35 easy miles of pleasurable riding. All was not lost. :p

Mzilliox
03-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Im kinda new to cycling, I live in Oregon. I have so much trouble wrapping my brain around the average cyclists fear of rain. Am i missing something?

gasman
03-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Im kinda new to cycling, I live in Oregon. I have so much trouble wrapping my brain around the average cyclists fear of rain. Am i missing something?

Some people live in locals where they can wait a few hours and know the sky's will clear. We don't have that choice in Oregon. I've met many a cyclist who moved here in the summer and wondered why everyone had a rain bike. :confused:

Then rains start and they know why having a full-fendered dedicated rain bike is really a necessity in the PNW.

CPP
03-13-2016, 01:13 AM
When I'm riding my rain bike, it becomes my nicest bike!

beeatnik
03-13-2016, 02:30 AM
Got a rain bike 4 years ago. I've ridden it in the rain 2x.

ripvanrando
03-13-2016, 03:25 AM

I have done 200KM or longer rides in 34F rain with and without fenders.

Fenders and good rain gear are under appreciated. I ride thru the winter and on cold rainy days, I never see another rider but come the first nice day, I'll see hundreds of riders

Rain on an unfendered bike causes a lot of mud and sandy junk to accumulate in places where it should not be causing more wear and tear and thus, requiring a more intensive cleaning. For instance, a 50 mile ride in the rain w/o fenders means the chain has to come off for a thorough cleaning and either wax or lube depending on the bike. Your clothing gets really dirty w/o fenders. The fendered bike might need a quick wipe down but probably it will look just fine.

Motorists who do not expect to see a cyclist in the rain are my only fear of rain.

johnniecakes
03-13-2016, 05:27 AM
OK l will admit it, I don't take my best bikes out in the rain for a few personal reasons. I don't want to think about getting water and grit in the bottom bracket shell of my steel Crown Jewel or Corsa Extra. Percentage wise I have hit deck more in the rain than when dry. So I use one bike for both the trainer and rain, just change the back wheel. I use a CAAD 8 with the same Ultegra group that is on the other bikes. No worries, it's all good

zank
03-13-2016, 05:41 AM
I only have one road bike. I'll ride my cross bike with road tires if it's a lousy out for a long stretch. But usually not. I prefer my road position out on the road.

shovelhd
03-13-2016, 06:39 AM
I only have one road bike. I'll ride my cross bike with road tires if it's a lousy out for a long stretch. But usually not. I prefer my road position out on the road.

My cross bike fit is very close to the road bike but I'm up a bit higher due to the taller head tube. I'd rather ride it on salt laden sand strewn winter roads though.

Mzilliox
03-13-2016, 09:40 AM
i agree with this, and of course i have fendered bikes and rain gear here in the PNW. True I don't like my decreased vis in the rain, but otherwise i still don't get how many roadies won't get wet. Theres always bright colored rain gear to help. Now I'm not talking a downpour, but how often is rain a true downpour? Get out and ride... its really fun in the rain. You won't melt, and neither will your bike (can't vouch for plastics).

have fun out there, its raining today, i'm gonna go for a ride... on my Weigle:confused: hey, its fendered.

I have done 200KM or longer rides in 34F rain with and without fenders.

Fenders and good rain gear are under appreciated. I ride thru the winter and on cold rainy days, I never see another rider but come the first nice day, I'll see hundreds of riders

Rain on an unfendered bike causes a lot of mud and sandy junk to accumulate in places where it should not be causing more wear and tear and thus, requiring a more intensive cleaning. For instance, a 50 mile ride in the rain w/o fenders means the chain has to come off for a thorough cleaning and either wax or lube depending on the bike. Your clothing gets really dirty w/o fenders. The fendered bike might need a quick wipe down but probably it will look just fine.

Motorists who do not expect to see a cyclist in the rain are my only fear of rain.

etu
03-13-2016, 09:57 AM
i agree with this, and of course i have fendered bikes and rain gear here in the PNW. True I don't like my decreased vis in the rain, but otherwise i still don't get how many roadies won't get wet. Theres always bright colored rain gear to help. Now I'm not talking a downpour, but how often is rain a true downpour? Get out and ride... its really fun in the rain. You won't melt, and neither will your bike (can't vouch for plastics).

have fun out there, its raining today, i'm gonna go for a ride... on my Weigle:confused: hey, its fendered.

you almost got me out today... but i think i'm going to put my fendered rain bike on the trainer and see if i can break my record of 2.5 hours. old dvds of doped riders from the last decade might make this possible.

Mzilliox
03-13-2016, 10:05 AM
you almost got me out today... but i think i'm going to put my fendered rain bike on the trainer and see if i can break my record of 2.5 hours. old dvds of doped riders from the last decade might make this possible.

nice! just digesting a big breakfast and watching replay of paris-nice, then ill get out. Maybe if i owned a trainer i would ride inside more...:bike:

John H.
03-13-2016, 10:51 AM
For me, a rain bike is an evolution.
1st- I would make do with my everyday bike.
2nd- I would have a backup bike for this. Maybe a bit crappier or heavier. Maybe just a cross bike. I commuted on a couple different cross bikes in the 90's.
3rd- the backup bike gets a set of removable fenders.
4th- backup bike gets a set of permanent fenders.
5th- replace with a purpose built bike with permanent fender braze-ons and mid reach brakes. At this point the rain bike is 90% of what the nice bike is.
6th- replace with a ti version- also fender braze-ons (for Honjos) and mid reach brakes.
This is where I am right now- Here is a picture of my current rain bike. Eriksen with fenders, mid reach brakes, and flaps that almost touch the ground.
I had this frame made in 2012. This was when we still had wet winters in Northern California. You NEEDED a bike like this is you wanted to train in the winter.
The past two winters have been so dry that people forgot about this.
Winter is back in Norcal. People are thinking about proper rain bikes again.

Houston is in denial- he rags out his cross bike in the dirt and grit with no fenders. I have told him that the smart kids stay on the road with full fenders.
When he comes to his senses, he will get a rain bike with full fenders.

It is hammering rain right now- I am motivating myself to kit up and go out in the rain!

Mzilliox
03-13-2016, 10:53 AM
For me, a rain bike is an evolution.
1st- I would make do with my everyday bike.
2nd- I would have a backup bike for this. Maybe a bit crappier or heavier. Maybe just a cross bike. I commuted on a couple different cross bikes in the 90's.
3rd- the backup bike gets a set of removable fenders.
4th- backup bike gets a set of permanent fenders.
5th- replace with a purpose built bike with permanent fender braze-ons and mid reach brakes. At this point the rain bike is 90% of what the nice bike is.
6th- replace with a ti version- also fender braze-ons (for Honjos) and mid reach brakes.
This is where I am right now- Here is a picture of my current rain bike. Eriksen with fenders, mid reach brakes, and flaps that almost touch the ground.
I had this frame made in 2012. This was when we still had wet winters in Northern California. You NEEDED a bike like this is you wanted to train in the winter.
The past two winters have been so dry that people forgot about this.
Winter is back in Norcal. People are thinking about proper rain bikes again.

Houston is in denial- he rags out his cross bike in the dirt and grit with no fenders. I have told him that the smart kids stay on the road with full fenders.
When he comes to his senses, he will get a rain bike with full fenders.

It is hammering rain right now- I am motivating myself to kit up and go out in the rain!

now thats fit for rain all day.. love it as usual. lovely ride. Ti with fenders equals fear not water.

JLP
03-13-2016, 10:57 AM
You guys are thinking backwards. In Seattle we have "bikes" and "non-fendered bikes." Rain bikes are simply bikes.

John H.
03-13-2016, 11:00 AM
This is a really good point.
You WANT to ride a nice rain bike- so you save the non-fendered bike for dry and sunny days.
Like I said, folks in Norcal are scrambling and re-calibrating. They have not needed to worry about the rain for a couple years.
Seems like there is an influx of new riders who have never even considered this.

You guys are thinking backwards. In Seattle we have "bikes" and "non-fendered bikes." Rain bikes are simply bikes.

After a few years riding here, you end up with a really nice bike because otherwise all your nice bikes sit in the garage.

Scooper
03-13-2016, 11:04 AM
My main bike (the one I use for more than 90% of my riding) is also my rain bike. The frame is 953 stainless steel, and I mount SKS Raceblade Long fenders that I can install/remove in less than a minute for riding in the rain.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/cimg7829sm.jpg

ergott
03-13-2016, 11:15 AM

I know someone that could make you a wicked good road bike that will accommodate full fender coverage.

Life's too short to be cleaning the bike up after a mildly wet morning. What a mess.

The more I ride, the more my commuter/rain bike is becoming my "A" bike.

:beer:

Bradford
03-13-2016, 11:54 AM

I think you are setting up a false premise. My choice isn't between a crappier bike and a nice bike, it is between two nice bikes that have different attributes.

I've been switching between my Legend, IF touring bike, and tandem for 12 years now. I tend to fall into ruts where I ride one a lot for a while then end up riding the other for a while. Every time I switch back to another bike, my first reaction is to think "boy I love this bike, I should ride it more."

My dad once told me that there is no such thing as an ugly women, its just that some are better looking than others. I'd say there is no such thing as a crappy bicycle, at least not in our garages, just some ride differently than others. If you rain bike is actually crappy, go get yourself a nice rain bike.

unterhausen
03-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Central PA gets quite a bit of rain, but not so much that rain bikes are common. I'm trying to talk myself into going out in the rain right now. I like to have fenders and lights on my road bikes -- it makes sense to be prepared. Plus, on the rare occasion that I'm in better shape than someone that thinks they are fast, riding past them with lights and fenders can drive them insane. Which is one of the simple pleasures in life. It's like passing your minute man in a time trial. Which another thing that is more fun if there are fenders on your bike.

jlwdm
03-13-2016, 12:41 PM
In the past I lived in Western Washington for over 40 years and never had fenders except on a bike as a kid. The hardest part was leaving the house but once I was out the rain was not much of a bother.

I never thought about having more than one bike until I got on this forum. Although I have three bikes I don't have a rain bike.

I did build a Spectrum for Seattle - a road bike that takes wide tires and fenders. Even though family is in the area and my wife has a house there the Spectrum has only seen 50 miles in 5 plus years. I need to get some fenders it.

I think I might head to Seattle soon (mother's taxes and a friend's father's funeral) and try to get a few rides in. Maybe in the rain.

Jeff

rwsaunders
03-13-2016, 01:00 PM
I tried to find a recent photo of my rain bike on a rain day but then I remembered that I don't stop to take a lot of photos in the rain. From two Saturdays ago...at least it was pretty cold that day.

bironi
03-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Hey we all have personal preferences and that's fine by me.

Matthew
03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I have three very nice road bikes. If it is raining I simply stay inside. I have a spin bike in the basement. If I absolutely feel like I have to ride I will hop on that. I am in agreement with one or two posts above. I freak out about water and grit getting into the frame and gunking things up. I would rather just stay inside and not stress over the maintenance. If I am caught in the rain then so be it, but if I know it is coming I will just stay home!!

Bstone
03-13-2016, 01:10 PM

I guess I have one main bike and four rain bikes.

Or three main bikes and one rain bike.

Or

Ralph
03-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I admit it. I won't ride in rain, or start out when roads are sloppy wet. Or anytime cars are using their wipers. No need to. Just wait a while, or next day. Almost all of our rain is in afternoon. It's rarely raining in AM.

Cornfed
03-13-2016, 01:43 PM
The only reason I'll avoid riding in rain, if possible, is because I have to wear glasses when I ride. PITA to have to keep wiping them off.

That said, it's pouring here right now and if I weren't laid up recovering from a rain-induced injury, coincidentally, I'd be out in it right now. I think your tolerance for rain is in proportion to your need to ride (e.g., commuting or touring) and/or the time since your last ride.

Gummee
03-13-2016, 03:34 PM
My 'rain bike' is my Langster running fixed. Less to go wrong...

Today I got caught in the rain on my normal 'road' bike. I got wet. It got wet. I'll get cleaned up, lubed up, then I'll go again.

M

pdmtong
03-13-2016, 03:51 PM
As John noted, rains are back in Norcal (finally). I won't ride if it is raining, but won't be stopped if the ground is wet or there is a chance of rain. I purposely looked for and found a s-works tricross maybe six years ago because it would both let me line up for some CX and also take full fenders, including the buddy flaps that almost touch the ground.

riding with full fenders and flaps is so much nicer than clip-ons. packable rain shell, and we are good to go.

I have not yet found a solution to keep a steady pour out of my shoes.

pdmtong
03-13-2016, 03:53 PM

hold on here, mosaic disc in the wet and mud is one thing. C60 R11 bora ultra in the wet and mud is another.

unterhausen
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I found that if the air temp is above 60F or so, I don't mind riding in the rain at all. OTOH, I used to refuse to ride in the rain below 47F. I think I might have solved that lower temperature problem, but I'm too wimpy to test.

spinarelli
03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
For me it's the wind not the cold temperature. I really hate riding in the rain while being blasted by crazy winds. I commute all year round and during the winter I just wear more marino layers and goretex.
I have a rain bike and I make sure I wipe it down when I get home. I also make sure everything is cleaned and lubed weekly.

I found that if the air temp is above 60F or so, I don't mind riding in the rain at all. OTOH, I used to refuse to ride in the rain below 47F. I think I might have solved that lower temperature problem, but I'm too wimpy to test.

victork
03-13-2016, 07:54 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/573527d4682f20bd7d9d228ace207f82.jpg
My rain bike. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russian bear
03-14-2016, 01:01 AM
It doesn't rain here so I just built up another dry weather bike.