PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people properly adjust their cleats??

CSKeller
03-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Sorry for the rant but I see people selling cranks that are all scratched to hell!!
What is with that?? I will never buy a crank from anyone that has all of the badging rubbed off and some of these people also have their heels rubbing the damn chainstays....···??!!

I have ridden the same pair of cranks since 2001 with well over 40,000 miles on them and they look almost as beautiful as they day I bought them. I commute on my bikes so at times I need to wear huge, insulated shoe covers and I still have no crank rub...ever.

I enjoy cycling and I enjoy caring for my equipment...I respect and care for my tools so they last a very long time and look great.

I just don't understand those that don't care for their stuff yet they want top dollar when they go to sell it.

Sorry for the rant...I'll be finished with my master's very soon then I can ride my bike a lot more and be happier! :banana::bike:

weisan
03-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Thanks>>>I will never buy a crank from anyone that has all of the badging rubbed off and some of these people also have their heels rubbing the damn chainstays....���??!!

CS pal, would you kindly refer these people to me, please? :D

I don't mind scratches on crankarms...at all, as that has ZERO impact on its functionality and life span.

But I get your point.

Feel better now?
Oh good.
:)

leftyfreak
03-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the rant but I see people selling cranks that are all scratched to hell!!
What is with that?? I will never buy a crank from anyone that has all of the badging rubbed off and some of these people also have their heels rubbing the damn chainstays....���??!!

I have ridden the same pair of cranks since 2001 with well over 40,000 miles on them and they look almost as beautiful as they day I bought them. I commute on my bikes so at times I need to wear huge, insulated shoe covers and I still have no crank rub...ever.

I enjoy cycling and I enjoy caring for my equipment...I respect and care for my tools so they last a very long time and look great.

I just don't understand those that don't care for their stuff yet they want top dollar when they go to sell it.

Sorry for the rant...I'll be finished with my master's very soon then I can ride my bike a lot more and be happier! :banana::bike:

Well, I know you mostly posted this for the sake of venting, but there actually is a serious, legitimate answer to your complaint...

As you say, you enjoy cycling and enjoy caring for your equipment, and I concur, but the most important piece of equipment is your body. And every body is unique! In my case, my feet orient toes out/heels in, and even with the extra long axle version of Dura-Ace pedals, the heel of my right foot still grazes my cranks. Straightening out my foot would result in knee injury and widening my stance further would cause in hip injury. I'd much rather have cranks and shoes with slight worn patches than be unable to ride my bike!

Good luck completing your degree!

ultraman6970
03-12-2016, 04:52 PM
IMO the problem with the shoe rub is due to some situations.

1 - for some reason some guys love to have their feet at close to the crank as possible, why? well dunno, is like the wider tires are quicker disease :D you cant find 23s in stores no more :)

2 - a lot of guys need support in their arches and instead of fixing that problem they adjust the shoe close to the crankset, or they have problems in the hips or something...

3 - They dont know any better :P (just being mean :P)

biker72
03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Well, I know you mostly posted this for the sake of venting, but there actually is a serious, legitimate answer to your complaint...

As you say, you enjoy cycling and enjoy caring for your equipment, and I concur, but the most important piece of equipment is your body. And every body is unique! In my case, my feet orient toes out/heels in, and even with the extra long axle version of Dura-Ace pedals, the heel of my right foot still grazes my cranks. Straightening out my foot would result in knee injury and widening my stance further would cause in hip injury. I'd much rather have cranks and shoes with slight worn patches than be unable to ride my bike!

Interesting. My left foot is perfectly straight in the pedal. The right foot is heel in. I don't hit the crank but I'm close. When I walk both feet are straight and parallel.

Drmojo
03-12-2016, 05:08 PM
I suggest buying cranks from only those lucky enough to have perfect bio-mechanics. Few humans have exact body symmetry, thus walking, running or cycling will all be less than "picture perfect."
Just like those unsightly blemished cranks.

Tickdoc
03-12-2016, 05:23 PM
I see some pretty f'cked up pedal strokes out there. We have one guy in our group with a left foot that is pidgeon toed in and downward. He is older and cranks along with guys half his age without complaint, but I hate riding behind him because I get fixated staring at that janky ass foot!

It is frustrating when you see messed up labels and scratches.

It also a shame that campagnolo has to lightly imprint their logo on cranks in the exact spot where most heel rub takes place. Heaven forbid you should want to polish up something without taking the logo off.

paredown
03-12-2016, 05:37 PM

Good luck completing your degree!

I was assumed it was differing bio-mechanics. I have fairly straight stance on the pedals and no rub.

I do have a slightly damaged left knee though, from a lot of miles BITD with a not-quite straightly nailed on cleat, just to underscore your point.

I love pedals with a little float.

verbs4us
03-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Part of the problem may not be cleats but with the evolution of outboard bearings, the "standard" Q has gotten larger and larger, while Homo sapien hips are pretty much the same. In the 1970s, I think the standard SR crank had a Q around 142 or so. Today's cranks start around 150 and go up. To compensate, people move cleats inboard.

joosttx
03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
i rubbed my logos off on duraace cranks with my heels in 3 months. I could give !? $#. But now I feel bad that i may ruin someone day by not having a tighty bike. i am sorry OP. when I descend on fire roads and trails i grip my thighs to my seat for better stability. As a result my heels rub my crank. (No capitalzation errors here)

I havent notice any performance loss. Again, when you see me with my logos rubbed off of my cranks please dont take it like I trying to piss you off. i am just trying to shred the best way I can. :)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/24510799323_20b20fd090_h.jpg

Cicli
03-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Yeah, who cares.

Its not like these people come to your house in the middle of the night and do that to your bikes.
There are bigger things to worry about than other peoples bikes.

rnhood
03-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Yea, its no big deal. My foot often lightly rubs the crank arm and the decals are gone (after 47k miles). I am only interested in performance and not fashion or looks so it doesn't bother me.

pbarry
03-12-2016, 06:22 PM
A rant about folks with big feet devaluing their possessions with every pedal stroke.. Love it! :hello:

ultraman6970
03-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Pretty much this is it.

A rant about folks with big feet devaluing their possessions with every pedal stroke.. Love it! :hello:

Steelman
03-12-2016, 06:28 PM
According to fitter Steve Hogg, many people tend to ride with their saddle set too high.

Shoes rubbing on the crank arm is one sympton of this.

Peter P.
03-12-2016, 06:36 PM
What is with that?? I will never buy a crank from anyone that has all of the badging rubbed off and some of these people also have their heels rubbing the damn chainstays....���??!!

Is your master's thesis on why can't people properly adjust their cleats? :)
That oughta be a real sleep inducer.

bobdenver1961
03-12-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm with you I won't buy visibly worn or damaged cranks. It takes alot longer to find nice cranks but well worth it.

I rode a set of 105 cranks for 20 years and not a mark. I'm one who takes care of all my stuff.

fogrider
03-12-2016, 07:58 PM
sorry dude, I'm one of those that put rub on my cranks...my foot just has to point out. I've had this looked at and the cleats are such that they are all the way in to put the shoe as far away from the crank as possible, but they are angled so the heel is as close to the crank as possible. otherwise my knee is not happy. they are adjusted so they don't rub when pedaling, but I get some rub when I un-clip.

velomonkey
03-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Joosttx is my brother from another mother. But . . . I'll say it - I'm totally fine rubbing my crank. Heck, when I was younger I'd rub my crank like 5 times a day (come on - had to do this one).

Anyhoooooo, cleats are properly adjusted, the SISL2 cranks just have a different Q factor and get some rub whereas my Campy cranks don't. Same pedal, same shoes, same cleat - different crank - one has rub the other doesn't. Has little to do with taking care of stuff or adjustment.

It also shows she aint no garage queen, too.

CSKeller
03-12-2016, 10:14 PM
All of you guys bring important points and most importantly...make me laugh and realize I'm silly! (Stressing out about class and not enough riding:crap:)

But it ends this weekend!! :banana:

weisanpal - you made me laugh so hard I almost spit my water all over my laptop!!

leftyfreak - great points about biomechanical issues...gotta keep those knees happy so you can keep on riding! :)

verbs4us - excellent point about the increase in Q factor over the years due to outboard bearings. I can't recall seeing many cranks rubbed on older bikes...although you don't see too many older (70s and 80s) bikes around.

joosttx & velomonkey - just keep on shredding! I like you guys just the way you are! :beer:

Steelman - another excellent point about rubbing being a symptom of a different fit issue. Something to be aware of...

and maybe this may help all those that rub too much!!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d9/9b/d6/d99bd61f8d2fbaa97ff6f9687898d7e8.jpg

Mzilliox
03-12-2016, 10:16 PM
I have a hell of a time getting my cleat position right, Its not easy for us who are new to technical bike fit aspects. but I don't rub my cranks wrong...

cloudguy
03-12-2016, 11:50 PM
Why do people feel the need to share their weird neuroses on the internets?

My dura-ace logo is completely rubbed off my crank. I checked and my foot never rubs (straight as an arrow) when I'm in the saddle, but when I'm out of it on a climb (happens a lot around here), I guess my foot goes all kattywompus. Or maybe its just the fact that I'm rockin my bike from side to side?

bikemoore
03-13-2016, 02:55 AM
Because some of us have big feet and pedals don't come with foot size variable spindle lengths to accommodate size 48 shoes while keeping the cleats in the right position relative to our feet

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ripvanrando
03-13-2016, 03:13 AM
The bone in my right ankle sticks out owing to a collision with a 120 mph hockey puck.

I'll make sure to include a super closeup photo on the pair of Lightning cranks that I intend to sell just in case Felix Unger is interested.

ergott
03-13-2016, 04:34 AM
Don't forget some of us ride all year long. That means shoe covers in the winter. I'm not adjusting my cleats/shoes to prevent rub with covers.

:beer:

Ti Designs
03-13-2016, 05:31 AM

The key part of that is "when they go to sell it". I can't sell my bike stuff, I know what I've done to it. To me the bike is a consumable, but some parts last longer than others. Tires and chains wear out quickly, cranks wear out much slower, but they do wear out. Selling my used bike parts is like selling a half eaten sandwich - ewww!

Adjusting cleats is about taking care of the hips, knees and ankles. I'm much more concerned about those wearing out.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2016, 05:37 AM

That often has nothing to do with it. Hip/leg/knee/ankle alignment and how it translates to a bike pedal and crank sometimes means the shoe will occasionally rub on the crank. 'Some' crank designs don't help either but for most, it sure isn't 'lazy people not taking care of their stuff'.

R3awak3n
03-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Joosttx is my brother from another mother. But . . . I'll say it - I'm totally fine rubbing my crank. Heck, when I was younger I'd rub my crank like 5 times a day (come on - had to do this one).

Anyhoooooo, cleats are properly adjusted, the SISL2 cranks just have a different Q factor and get some rub whereas my Campy cranks don't. Same pedal, same shoes, same cleat - different crank - one has rub the other doesn't. Has little to do with taking care of stuff or adjustment.

It also shows she aint no garage queen, too.

I dont think I have seen any SISLs that have actually been used extensively without rubbing marks.

It adds character.

I am really good with my equipment but all my cranks look used. If the cranks are silver then after a few year I will just polish them, problem solved.

Mikej
03-13-2016, 06:35 AM
My reason is fatigue- I tend to get sloppy after some serious mileage and output. I also use 3m car bra on my cranks - especially MTB cranks. I also know that everything is going to be ok, new drive trains seem to be introduced monthly...

ripvanrando
03-13-2016, 06:38 AM
I neglected the 49 mega shoe size reason.

alancw3
03-13-2016, 08:47 AM
speed play actually has a long spindle version of their pedals for people that need them.

etu
03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
this thread is offensive in kind of a funny way.

verbs4us
03-13-2016, 11:35 AM
speed play actually has a long spindle version of their pedals for people that need them.

And if you get the Ti spindle model, the spindle is shorter by a few mm--ostensibly to improve cornering. I did some research a while back and the cranks on the market today that give you the lowest Q (not as low as the venerable Super Record, but close) are White Industries VBC and TA Carmina. The latter is hard to find in the US, but Bilenky in Philly is an importer. Both use square taper, I think JIS. Not for weight weenies. TA has classic good looks and requires a second mortgage. TA Chainrings are reported to last forever.

thirdgenbird
03-13-2016, 11:40 AM
According to the website, white industries cranks have a 150mm Q factor. All Campagnolo UT cranksets have a 145.5 Q factor.

Edit: I can't find an official spec, but it looks like power torque have the same 145.5 q.

cinema
03-13-2016, 11:51 AM
in the beginning when i used 3 bolt cleats with poor float adjustment every pair of cranks i had were scratched. that's because i am pigeon toed.

i switched to spd and use max float now and am able to mount the cleat so that most of the time my feet don't rub the crank, but sometimes they do. with more float i can mount the cleat further out but also still turn my toes in when i'm not paying attention which is most of the time.

verbs4us
03-13-2016, 02:12 PM
According to the website, white industries cranks have a 150mm Q factor. All Campagnolo UT cranksets have a 145.5 Q factor.

Edit: I can't find an official spec, but it looks like power torque have the same 145.5 q.

Thanks--i think the Q for the WI depends on the spindle. WI I think recommends 113. For a recent build I was able to use a 108, shaving 5 off the Q

FlashUNC
03-13-2016, 02:27 PM
If you want pristine cranks, buy new cranks.

m_sasso
03-13-2016, 03:24 PM
And if you get the Ti spindle model, the spindle is shorter by a few mm--ostensibly to improve cornering. I did some research a while back and the cranks on the market today that give you the lowest Q (not as low as the venerable Super Record, but close) are White Industries VBC and TA Carmina. The latter is hard to find in the US, but Bilenky in Philly is an importer. Both use square taper, I think JIS. Not for weight weenies. TA has classic good looks and requires a second mortgage. TA Chainrings are reported to last forever.

The newer range OX series of Sugino crank sets have Q of 145mm with outboard BB bearings. And notice no crank rub, that is because they have only twisted +/-4000K, however those pedals are a mess and have been changed.

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/800x600/80-img_2926aa_9c86c75b63e5a85239de66b6647fab3e5506911 9.jpg

buddybikes
03-13-2016, 04:46 PM
I liked the rubbed look, makes it look like I actually ride.

This is a pretty rediculous thread, complaining that people aren't takng care of their equipment and actually have the gawl to sell it used because some of us have duck feet.

verbs4us
03-13-2016, 05:11 PM

Found the PDF: Campy calls the 145.5 Q "nominal." Any idea what that means? Anything like "the car gets 32 mpg, but in real life, you'll get 25 mpg"?

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_30_Technical%20manual%20-%20ultra%20torque%20crankset%20-%20Campagnolo_REV01_02_15.pdf

PacNW2Ford
03-13-2016, 05:52 PM
The newer range OX series of Sugino crank sets have Q of 145mm with outboard BB bearings. And notice no crank rub, that is because they have only twisted +/-4000K, however those pedals are a mess and have been changed.

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/800x600/80-img_2926aa_9c86c75b63e5a85239de66b6647fab3e5506911 9.jpg

Yeah, but there is some kind of speck near the pedal end... I am so not ever buying those from you! You should take better care of your stuff! I can't believe you USED them! :D

pdmtong
03-13-2016, 10:21 PM
heel rub? what about that 4" lag bolt that I ran over? it jumped up and took a piece out of my Chorus carbon arm. Rubbed or clean, go ride your bike...

cachagua
03-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Somebody must make crank bras, right?

You know, like car bras. Buy a car with a front end so beautiful that you can't stand the thought of a pebble nicking it -- and to prevent that, drape it with a big floppy flap of faux-naugahydette that entirely masks the beauty you bought it for.

thirdgenbird
03-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Found the PDF: Campy calls the 145.5 Q "nominal." Any idea what that means? Anything like "the car gets 32 mpg, but in real life, you'll get 25 mpg"?

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_30_Technical%20manual%20-%20ultra%20torque%20crankset%20-%20Campagnolo_REV01_02_15.pdf

Nominal value in that context means that it may not be exact. I'm guessing they are covering themselves for minor manufacturing tolerances. There isn't a lot of room when you are specing down to 0.5mm. If you measure a seatpost or bar, it usually won't measure the same as it's nominal dimension of 27.2, 25.4, 31.8 and so on.

Manufacturers will have an allowable tolerance but it's not usually posted. I do believe Thomson posts their tolerance on their website. This can be an equal plus or minus, just one of the two, or it may not the same +/-.

Willy
03-14-2016, 04:09 PM
This is great - now I know why my crank is scuffed - I was blaming myself for being sloppy and leaning the bike against something that scared it but alas it was just my shoes.

dpk501
03-19-2016, 12:46 AM
props to those who get on the bikes and rubs one off...:D

dsillito
03-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Don't forget some of us ride all year long. That means shoe covers in the winter. I'm not adjusting my cleats/shoes to prevent rub with covers.

:beer:

I was wondering when this would come up. That is what happens with me. I won some rather bulky shoe covers in a draw once, so I use them. Combined with the grit from the road that gets thrown up onto them, it makes for a potent sandpaper that never wears out.

Seramount
03-19-2016, 04:02 PM
hmm, just noticed that the Ultegra logo on the right crank arm is missing a couple of letters.

to help the OP with his neuroses, I busted out some polishing compound and buffed off all of the logo.

looks all nice and clean now.

no charge to help a bro out...

steamer
03-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I like signs of wear on a bike. I think it looks good. Less sterile and more interesting. Nothing is more boring than a pristine bike. Signs of use are like the patina of wood, leather and similar things we live and work with.

Elefantino
03-19-2016, 04:34 PM
"They were like this when I bought them."

End of problem.

Matthew
03-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Man, I just sold a pair of excellent condition 7800 Dura Ace cranks for $100. I could have charged a small fortune since they didn't have any rub marks on them. Damn! I have to admit I don't care for roughed up cranks either but understand that everybody is different.

false_Aest
03-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Milan - San Remo was today.

</winter-bitch-threads>

benb
03-19-2016, 05:55 PM
I used to have issues with scraping my cranks. (I wear 46-48 shoes depending on brand, and in normal shoes I wear 2E width.)

I've always had cycling orthotics.. but only the latest pair is really good. No more scraping the cranks with my shoes.

It is still hard to avoid scraping them when wearing booties but I'm not really even doing that anymore, but booties have also gotten thinner over the years. The pair I had 15 years ago was like 1/4" thick neoprene, it made it really hard.