PDA

View Full Version : MOOTS RSL max Tire size, and vs Colnago C60question.

SuperColnago
03-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Trying to decide between MOOTS RSL and C60 for my retirement bike.

Inclined to MOOTS at the moment, scared to drop that much on Carbon. I currently ride Colango Tecnos and Merckx Corsa Extra TSX, quite happily.

1. MOOTS RSL, what is the max tire size capable?
2. Any thoughts on Colnago C60 vs MOOTS RSL?

All contributions gratefully accepted, your wisdom is helpful
Cheers, stay upright!

adhumston
03-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Trying to decide between MOOTS RSL and C60 for my retirement bike.

Inclined to MOOTS at the moment, scared to drop that much on Carbon. I currently ride Colango Tecnos and Merckx Corsa Extra TSX, quite happily.

1. MOOTS RSL, what is the max tire size capable?
2. Any thoughts on Colnago C60 vs MOOTS RSL?

All contributions gratefully accepted, your wisdom is helpful
Cheers, stay upright!

I don't have much to contribute as far as experience between the 2 (though I do have a C59 that's great), but I'm curious as to what scares you about carbon?

ariw
03-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Love my C60, did a Guru fit before buying, which helped a lot.

Ari

fa63
03-12-2016, 02:01 PM
http://moots.com/bike/vamoots-rsl/

On this page, the note under the geometry table says "max. tire width 27 mm". Then there is another note in the frame specifications table that says "max. tire clearance 25 mm". Given most 25s end up measuring closer to 27 once mounted on now-ubiquitous wide rims, I would say 27 is probably a good number. I would say pick up the phone and give them a call to be safe.

I have never ridden a Moots RSL, but I did ride a Colnago C60 for a day and wasn't blown away by it. I would suggest trying one out in person if you can before spending that much money on a frame.

sw3759
03-12-2016, 02:28 PM
yeah that was my main worry when I purchased my RSL a few months ago.it as more room that thought it would have actually. currently have a23 rim with 25 Pro race 2 on it.tire measured with a caliper at 27mm wide.i have 5 mm of clearance from the seat tube.more in other areas.
RSL fork has even more room

velomonkey
03-12-2016, 03:00 PM
I got a firefly and a colnago (albeit a C59) - so I can talk from experience.

Colnago is static - it is what it is. Not sure I would discount Carbon over Ti, but I get what you're saying.

If Ti is your thang and this is a 'retirement' bike - why seek clarification online? Go custom. Eriksen, Hampsten will both give you exactly 100% what you want and it will last a lifetime and it will be AWESOME. Cost won't be radically different than a moots and every single variable will be what you want.

Moots makes a great bike. HUGE bikes (said in a Trump voice) - the best.

But reading what you are laying down I'm thinking something else.

fa63
03-12-2016, 03:02 PM
I agree with the above. Plus buying an Eriksen is like buying a Moots, only better :)

joosttx
03-12-2016, 03:10 PM
I love my C60. It the fastest best handling road bike I ever owned and the first completely carbon bike. It really opened my eyes to what modern carbon fiber can do.

Regarding clearance there is plenty of room for a 25mm tire. My limitation is with the campy brakes I have. It still fits a 25mm tire but its tight. I am riding a FMB carbon tubular on a Bora Ultra 2 35mm wheels.

I would get a C60 over any ti bike for road riding. Never thought I would write that before I owned one.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7772/17741990114_bb18c416b9_c.jpg

gngroup
03-12-2016, 04:16 PM
I have a Hampsten Ti (Eriksen built) and a Colnago C59. For pure road riding and the occasional gravel/dirt section, it doesn't get much better than a Colnago. Like Houston, I am running 25mm Veloflex Roubaix tubulars on mine with plenty of clearance. On the other hand, if you want more of 'adventure' bike that can do both road and dirt and fit bigger tires, I'd consider custom Ti. Plenty of options already mentioned.

uber
03-12-2016, 04:22 PM
I have both an Eriksen and a C60. Both outstanding, but obviously the two materials feel different. The Eriksen with a 44mm head tube and 1" chain stays is plenty stiff, but still has the buttery feel of Ti. This C60 is one of the nicest riding carbon frames I have ridden. It feels race like but is comfortable. When given a choice, I usually take the C60. My advice is to prolong your retirement long enough to buy both. Wasn't that helpful? Feel free to email me directly
should you have more questions.
Bill

SuperColnago
03-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, it really helps.
Up here in Ottawa, Canada, VERY few MOOTS, and less Colnago C60s, have yet to see a C60 in a store or on the road!
NO dealers local stock these bikes, so have to do a lot of research like this just to get a 'feel"!
Found someone local with an RSL, so going to see one in person for the first time!
Cheers, keep the counsel coming!
Never had a carbon bike, so just a personal bias....
Stay upright...

Idris Icabod
03-12-2016, 06:07 PM
I've got a C59 and an 11 year old Moots Compact SL. I'd choose the Moots.

SuperColnago
03-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Interesting, fairly priced wrt MOOTS and Colnago...

enr1co
03-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I have both an Eriksen and a C60. Both outstanding, but obviously the two materials feel different. The Eriksen with a 44mm head tube and 1" chain stays is plenty stiff, but still has the buttery feel of Ti. This C60 is one of the nicest riding carbon frames I have ridden. It feels race like but is comfortable. When given a choice, I usually take the C60. My advice is to prolong your retirement long enough to buy both. Wasn't that helpful? Feel free to email me directly
should you have more questions.
Bill

Have a Hampsten Ti and Colnago C59. Both purchased like new, previously owned to be able to afford both.

Uber summarized it well- just two great, different materials that will deliver a smile whatever you choose to ride during your retirement days

You deserve it -find a way to buy both.

tiretrax
03-12-2016, 07:46 PM
I think Moots makes a VaMoots DR to accept wide tires. I'd go with a custom Eriksen fit by Kent in Steamboat. Just meeting him is worth the trip.

Enr1co - is your Hampsten made by IF, Eriksen, Moots or in house?

enr1co
03-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Enr1co - is your Hampsten made by IF, Eriksen, Moots or in house?

In house build by Max Kullaway

SuperColnago
03-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Need to buy both is what is sounds like......I just might

beeatnik
03-12-2016, 11:44 PM
If you want a Ferrari, get a Ferrari. If you wan't an RSL get an RSL. Don't get a Pagarando.

Oh, they'll fit "27s" as long as you don't get some ridiculous ENVE or Hed Belgium Plus Plus Plus that measure 29mm at the spoke hole.

j_gantzer
03-13-2016, 12:13 AM
For the last few years we called out 27mm as the max tire size. This year we did not change the tire clearance, but we decided to call it out as 25c instead because we had a couple of cases where if you tryed to run a very specific combos the tire would be close to the brake caliper and/or sear tube. Campy brake, Michelin 25 tire and enve rim combo seemed to be particularly problematic. With the RSL we are trying to balance short stays with good clearance. Overall almost any 25 will fit and most 27s. We go off measured size not what it says on the side wall.

JG @ Moots

SuperColnago
03-13-2016, 12:22 AM
For the last few years we called out 27mm as the max tire size. This year we did not change the tire clearance, but we decided to call it out as 25c instead because we had a couple of cases where if you tryed to run a very specific combos the tire would be close to the brake caliper and/or sear tube. Campy brake, Michelin 25 tire and enve rim combo seemed to be particularly problematic. With the RSL we are trying to balance short stays with good clearance. Overall almost any 25 will fit and most 27s. We go off measured size not what it says on the side wall.

JG @ Moots

Thanks JG as long as I can get 25s in there....

beeatnik
03-13-2016, 12:29 AM
"25s" that measure 27:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1573/24861687785_9fe1525b08_o.jpg

JMacII
03-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Let me second/third/fourth whatever the idea they you go custom. Why anyone would drop C60 coin on a factory frame is beyond me. Go Parlee or Spectrum or whomever for a custom carbon/Ti warbird. Good luck.

FlashUNC
03-13-2016, 11:39 AM
C60 all the time, every time.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2016, 12:47 PM
I agree with the above. Plus buying an Eriksen is like buying a Moots, only better :)

:confused:

Matthew
03-13-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't think you could go wrong either way. I have a Moots Compact and a Colnago EPS. I Love both. Of course, my Moots is a standard tube Compact and not an RSL so there is that difference. I have only had the Colnago since last fall but it is growing on me very quickly. Stiff but very smooth. The Moots is just a great all around ride. Not terribly stiff but I don't think it is a noodle either. I never thought I would say this but I think the Colnago may be the nicest road bike I have ever had. Matt

doomridesout
03-13-2016, 01:22 PM
I haven't ridden the Colnago, but I've spent time on both the Moots Compact and an RSL. I'm not a big guy but I'm not a total punter when I'm in good shape, and the difference in stiffness is noticeable. I actually prefer the smaller tubed bike-- it's stiff enough to move quick but is significantly more comfortable-- I actually found the RSL too stiff to want to make into a "lifetime bike". The Compact (now the CR), on the other hand-- probably the nicest bike I've ever had. I sold mine to get a used Hampsten GPTi and I have to say I'd go back if the opportunity presented itself.

The Colnago is probably nicer, I'm afraid to say... Top quality carbon can be tuned to jump when you stomp on it but still ride smooth over bad pavement. The RSL certainly doesn't move around underneath you when you go to jump out of the saddle, but that stiffness is noticeable in road feel too.

I hope this helps... The RSL would probably be great for you if you're a bigger guy or very strong, but the Colnago likely does just about everything better.

fa63
03-14-2016, 05:33 AM
:confused:

Kent was the founder of Moots. Now he builds under his own name (I am sure you know this, but I wrote it for the sake of others that may not).

Eriksen's full custom frames cost less than a stock Moots.

I think a Kent is better than Moots for these and other reasons, but of course opinions vary.

oldpotatoe
03-14-2016, 05:44 AM
Kent was the founder of Moots. Now he builds under his own name (I am sure you know this, but I wrote it for the sake of others that may not).

Eriksen's full custom frames cost less than a stock Moots.

I think a Kent is better than Moots for these and other reasons, but of course opinions vary.

NOT trying to turn this into an Eriksen VS Moots thread but even tho both are ti frames, their biz models are very different.

Kent is teeny and direct to the customer. So, since he doesn't have to sell to a dealer, who then sells to a customer, I'm not surprised be can sell a custom for the same $(I am sure you know this, but I wrote it for the sake of others that may not).

Kent does great work, but saying Kent is 'better' is like saying aluminum CR bolts are 'lighter' than steel..yes they are but that doesn't mean steel is 'heavy'.

If the OP wishes to actually ride a Moots vs a Eriksen, that may be easier.

;)IMHO, of course.

fa63
03-14-2016, 05:51 AM
I really wasn't trying to take a jab at you or anything with my sentence in the parentheses.

And I agree we shouldn't turn this into a Moots vs. Eriksen thread.

Cheers.

joosttx
03-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Let me second/third/fourth whatever the idea they you go custom. Why anyone would drop C60 coin on a factory frame is beyond me. Go Parlee or Spectrum or whomever for a custom carbon/Ti warbird. Good luck.

I use to think the same thing until I bought a C60. My intent was to take advantage of the high dollar buy the frame from europe and then sell it after riding a few months for about what I paid for. Well, the bike was so nice that I didnt. again its the best road bike I ever owned.

I honestly dont see a need to buy a custom road/racing bike. Bikes like the F8 or the C60 are better than anything out there that I have tried that serve that purpose.

velomonkey
03-14-2016, 06:47 AM
I use to think the same thing until I bought a C60. My intent was to take advantage of the high dollar buy the frame from europe and then sell it after riding a few months for about what I paid for. Well, the bike was so nice that I didnt. I would be a stock Colango C60 into the realm of any custom bike no problem. Again its the best road bike I ever owned.

I honestly dont see a need to buy a custom road bike. Bikes like the F8 or the C60 are better than anything out there that I have tried.

I'll go one further: had a C59, got rid of it, had a bunch of carbon bikes and came back. Colnagos are very unique - he designs and engineers his bike to a different spec than most everyone else (e.g., cares not at all on weight and most everyone else does). The result is immediately reflected in the ride. Then there is the paint - oh the paint.

SuperColnago
03-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Excellent wisdom gentlemen, many thanks, still deciding, getting a ride on an RSL locally, a 2015.......
Cheers

huck*this
11-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Bumping this old thread. How did you make out?

adub
11-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I hope whatever you got clears 28's and has disc brakes :)