PDA

View Full Version : Hollowgram crank bolt washers

Jad
03-11-2016, 07:51 PM
I just replaced my BB30 bearings, which was the first time I took the Hollowgram crank arms off since buying the bike. When I took the arms off, I found the existing crank bolt washers crushed/pushed down into some of the threads meant for the crank puller. Maybe they weren't the right size?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can ride for the time being without washers. I think they're for preventing aluminum against aluminum, so any thoughts/experience about whether it would be alright to just grease it up, tighten, and ride until I can get some washers? Much thanks in advance.

carpediemracing
03-11-2016, 09:12 PM
The washer is super thin - ironically the picture I found was on Paceline.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/cannondale/776735d1362225333-hollowgram-fixing-bolt-washer-screen-shot-2013-03-02-6.49.10-am.png

If you can get one pretty quickly I think it'd be fine. I'm pretty sure I've done a "round" (meaning between crank arm changes or BB changes) without the washer, inadvertently.

Macadamia
03-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I was sold a hollowgram sans washers, it was fine for the 6 months or so of use that I had it. I put a lot of grease on the bolts for what it's worth.

Jad
03-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks--yeah, they are very thin. I did see that graphic also, along with the Hollowgram owners manual pdf--when I was figuring out how to change out my BB30/remove the Hollowgram crankset, etc.

But I wonder if the issue is just aluminum against aluminum seizing? Maybe in that case, it would just be a matter of keeping the contact greased. In any event, I can just get some new bolts that come with the washers.

Jad
03-11-2016, 09:42 PM
I was sold a hollowgram sans washers, it was fine for the 6 months or so of use that I had it. I put a lot of grease on the bolts for what it's worth.

Oh ok--great to know, thanks! I'll slather some grease on the bolts until washer time. Did you happen to find washers without needing to buy the bolts?

*Oh wait--I see that you used it that way for the time you had it, so probably never needed washers.