PDA

View Full Version : Q: Shorter fork - big deal, little deal, or no deal?

Cornfed
03-11-2016, 04:09 PM
OK, I may be a bit OCD here, but if I went from a 375mm curved blade fork to a 367mm straight blade fork, would I notice?

According to Sheldon, I'd increase the head angle by approx 0.4 degrees. (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm); is that enough to really be concerned about?

And if I had to choose, for this particular bike, I'd go for steering over stability. Within reason, of course.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

eBAUMANN
03-11-2016, 04:13 PM
You might notice it initially, but you will likely get used to it very quickly and forget all about it.
I went from 395 to 410 on a cx bike and while it was slightly noticeable at first, it felt totally fine after a couple miles of riding.

bicycletricycle
03-11-2016, 04:15 PM
most likely will be barely noticeable.

eddief
03-11-2016, 04:49 PM
and more weight on your hands. You'll notice.

Mark McM
03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Changing the for length will result in not just changing the head angle, but will also change the seat tube angle, the BB height, and the frame Stack and Reach. For a 0.4 degree change in angle, In order to restore your original position, you'll need to move the saddle back about 5 cm and lower it by about 2 mm, raise your handlebars by about 6 mm. Your reach will increase by a few millimeters as well, and your BB will lower by about 3 mm.

As far as handling, the steering trail will increase by about 3 mm.

None of these are major changes, but it will change how the bikes feels. As others mentioned, it is likely that you'll get used to it quickly, but you'll very likely notice it at first.

Cornfed
03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Thank you all for these detailed responses. I appreciate your time and expertise. One additional question, if I may: would reducing the rake compensate for the steeper head tube angle? Or should I keep the rake the same?

PacNW2Ford
03-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Changing the for length will result in not just changing the head angle, but will also change the seat tube angle, the BB height, and the frame Stack and Reach. For a 0.4 degree change in angle, In order to restore your original position, you'll need to move the saddle back about 5 cm and lower it by about 2 mm, raise your handlebars by about 6 mm. Your reach will increase by a few millimeters as well, and your BB will lower by about 3 mm.

As far as handling, the steering trail will increase by about 3 mm.

None of these are major changes, but it will change how the bikes feels. As others mentioned, it is likely that you'll get used to it quickly, but you'll very likely notice it at first.

You must mean "5 mm", not 5 cm, which is almost two inches...