PDA

View Full Version : Dogma F8 rear brake cable threading

PaulE
03-11-2016, 10:44 AM
So I'm building up a new Dogma F8 and ran into a slight snag trying to route the rear brake cable through the top tube. There is no hole in the seat tube/top tube junction to help you find the end of the brake cable and thread it through the rear cable exit. So I had to thread a wire from the rear brake cable exit to the front entry point to feed the brake cable through. The next issue was that whatever the brake cable is coated with is so slippery, the amount of black tape needed to secure the snake wire to the brake cable made the joint too thick to fit through the rear frame exit.

So I said to myself, self, what can I do here? Then I realized I could just twist the snake wire around the brake cable and gently feed them through the frame. Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about. The rest of the world may have already figured all of this out, but maybe this will save frustration for one other person!

Blown Reek
03-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Or you can just insert the brake cable until it stops and grab it with one of these. 30 seconds and done.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/49/49c16bed-e1b1-4bf2-a397-34383a3e3659_1000.jpg

batman1425
03-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Aside from the new internal frame routing setup kits, that's as good a system as any. Can also put some thread or dental floss in at the seat tube and use a vacuum to pull it across. Tie it to the cable, then pull that through.

I'm weary of the picks. You'll end up putting a big kink in the cable and forcing a bent in half cable through a small carbon hole sounds like a good way to damage the carbon/pain around the exit point.

CiclistiCliff
03-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Feed liner through the ports and then run the cable. Pull liner and enjoy the bike.

CiclistiCliff
03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm weary of the picks. You'll end up putting a big kink in the cable and forcing a bent in half cable through a small carbon hole sounds like a good way to damage the carbon/pain around the exit point.

Have to be a real clutz to damage a frame or kink a cable with picks.

batman1425
03-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Guess I'm a clutz then. Thanks.

PaulE
03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't think the picks would work on the Dogma frame. The curved and angled ones won't get inside the exit hole, the straight one is still fishing in the dark. Dental floss and vacuum would have been the ticket for this!

ultraman6970
03-11-2016, 04:14 PM
If the problem is at the exit, what you can do is to feed an old cable backwards (even derailleur cable works for this), and hope it comes out at the other side if it does then grab a long piece of plastic inner cable casing and pass it from one side to the other one.

Remove the cable, and pass your brake cable.. remove the transparent tube and good to go.

batman1425
03-11-2016, 04:54 PM
You can also use heat shrink tubing or a small crimp style electrical connector to secure the wire to the cable, if tape won't work.