PDA

View Full Version : source for "conical" campy pedal washers/inserts? for alloy centaur UTs

wallymann
03-10-2016, 10:52 AM
both of the tapered pedal washer/inserts came off of my centaur UT cranks when i unthreaded my speedplays. this has happened before and in those earlier instances the washers came off the pedals w/o much fuss, but this set was a different story.

this time getting the washers off the pedals, i marfed the washers up a bit...so the cranks are now useless unless i get some replacements.

any suggestions? i've googled and found nada for parts, but i did find this picture so you can see what they look like:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12800304_10207890234325643_8841378528566819525_n.j pg?oh=d898280e9544fc8fb01eb6ee94f98528&oe=57500ABF

drewellison
03-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Some years ago, I bought a whole bag full of thin stainless washers from McMaster or someplace like that. They're not pedal washers, but they were soooo close to the correct dimensions. They are a little small, so you have to screw them on to the pedal axle - they don't slide on.

Send me a PM with your address and I can drop a couple in the mail to you.

Drew

ultraman6970
03-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Sue speedplay :P

wallymann
03-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Some years ago, I bought a whole bag full of thin stainless washers from McMaster or someplace like that. They're not pedal washers, but they were soooo close to the correct dimensions. They are a little small, so you have to screw them on to the pedal axle - they don't slide on.

Send me a PM with your address and I can drop a couple in the mail to you.

Drew

thanks, man...but flat washers wont work...these are "engineered" inserts with a conical profile, so whatever i use will need the proper countersink taper to work w/o destroying the crank.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12809567_10207892817910231_3514716419120261642_n.j pg?oh=ad5caba2bcad3be04d43eea6a1809d46&oe=578E8969

Plum Hill
03-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Call Campy?.

FlashUNC
03-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I had this happen and just pushed the washer back in, mounted a pedal and it was fine. As long as the washer fits back in the slot, I think you're good to go.

batman1425
03-10-2016, 08:54 PM
At the risk of causing a stir - what would possess a company to create a conical interface that requires an adaptor to work with most (if not all) pedals on the market? I don't see the value here other than selling a lot of "special" conical washers when you lose/break them.

It's not like this is a brake shoe where you need a conical surface to set the angle. Are they suggesting that most pedals don't have good enough tolerances to mate squarely with the arm?

batman1425
03-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Followup - was looking into this more, and there is a thread across the hall that suggests that the washer is supposed to be bonded into the arm, and if it comes out, that is considered a failure and a warranty issue. Which is why spares weren't listed as a part number - it's not supposed to come out.

May be difficult to get a replacement if that is the case.

wallymann
03-10-2016, 09:02 PM
I had this happen and just pushed the washer back in, mounted a pedal and it was fine. As long as the washer fits back in the slot, I think you're good to go.

inserts marfed up when removing from pedals, no can do.

ultraman6970
03-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Honest question, you cant epoxy that thing back into the crank?

bicycletricycle
03-10-2016, 09:15 PM
This happen to me as well but my washer got lost somehow, I have been thinking of using my mill to turn that conical recess into a standard flat and machining up some thick pedal washers to match.

Really annoying

wallymann
03-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Honest question, you cant epoxy that thing back into the crank?

inserts marfed up when removing from pedals, no can do.

FlashUNC
03-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Explain marfed. Marfed how? Physically will not fit back into the gap? Because I really had no issues once there was an inteference fit and tension from the pedal torqued back into the arm.

wallymann
03-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Explain marfed. Marfed how? Physically will not fit back into the gap? Because I really had no issues once there was an inteference fit and tension from the pedal torqued back into the arm.

perimeter torn up by vise-grip teeth, also slightly warped. they may be salvageable...what do i have to lose?!

FlashUNC
03-10-2016, 09:43 PM
As long as it'll fit back in, I think you'll be fine.

Plum Hill
03-10-2016, 09:55 PM
I just looked at my alloy Centaur crank.
The "washer" appears to be stainless steel. It's probably an engineered answer to keep crank spindles from digging into an alloy crank arm.

ceolwulf
03-10-2016, 10:18 PM
I just looked at my alloy Centaur crank.

The "washer" appears to be stainless steel. It's probably an engineered answer to keep crank spindles from digging into an alloy crank arm.

This is correct and they are in fact intended to stay put but often don't. Of mine so far one out of six has come loose.

ultraman6970
03-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Had to google marfed because did not know the word :)

If the thing fits try to glue it back with epoxy? when dry put a pedal from the back and see how it goes, that will take care of the excess material moving around, unless you have access to a pedal chase thing.

Ralph
03-11-2016, 06:37 AM
If only slightly messed up....seems like pedal tension would hold it in place and make it fit. Maybe no need to glue it in.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Followup - was looking into this more, and there is a thread across the hall that suggests that the washer is supposed to be bonded into the arm, and if it comes out, that is considered a failure and a warranty issue. Which is why spares weren't listed as a part number - it's not supposed to come out.

May be difficult to get a replacement if that is the case.

It is part of the crank arm, it is not a part, no part number but I'd call Campagnolo NA and ask. If less than 3 years..warranty. If pruchased thru a normal US retailer..Campagnolo NA, if from UK-talk to them.

Aero-X
08-10-2023, 06:11 PM
I just came across this thread via google search. I ran into the same issue. Bought a used CP 10spd Veloce cranks from eBay recently. The drive side is missing a conical pedal washer. So I guess this part isn't a standard pedal washer. What to do? Thanks.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2023, 06:19 AM
I just came across this thread via google search. I ran into the same issue. Bought a used CP 10spd Veloce cranks from eBay recently. The drive side is missing a conical pedal washer. So I guess this part isn't a standard pedal washer. What to do? Thanks.

Just use any pedal washer but in reality, as long as the pedal, when turning, doesn't touch the crank arm..no need. Some of these inserts were more critical on Campag carbon cranks..where having the insert become unbonded and unscrewing was an issue but not really for metal cranks..

BTW-a lot of crank bolt washers will work too. I have a few brass ones I can send you.

Aero-X
08-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Hi Peter, thanks for the help. Just sent an email to your gmail.

So if I don't use any washer, how does the pedal spindle sit properly against the countersunk pedal hole? Would the spindle dig into aluminum?

Nomadmax
08-11-2023, 10:31 AM
Just about any pedal washer is going to deform into the shape of the original washer when you tighten the pedal. I'd put one on there and call it good.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2023, 06:38 AM
Hi Peter, thanks for the help. Just sent an email to your gmail.

So if I don't use any washer, how does the pedal spindle sit properly against the countersunk pedal hole? Would the spindle dig into aluminum?

Depends on the pedal but probably not. Particularly with pedals that have an allen end to remove rather than 15mm pedal washer 'flats'. As I mentioned in the email, I have some 'generic' pedal washers, I can you two for shipping $.