PDA

View Full Version : Shoes, Classic Style/Modern Pedals

dbrk
06-12-2006, 08:53 AM
One of my pet peeves (you mean "another", right?) is that modern cycling shoes add to the Ringling Bros look of bike riders. Since it's largely unavoidable I aim for somewhere between Homer Price and the Aliens Invade in Plastic and while most of my bikes look right with clips'n'straps (and so shoes that look like shoes), clipless road shoes are another story. You can say your black Sidis are fine. This is because you are used to them. Would you wear them to a wedding? I wore my oldschool Reynolds lace ups to mine and everyone thought...well, let's not go there.

Anyway, Adidas has a new shoe that approaches the unoffensive to my overly sensitive eye and since there is nothing at stake (nothing!!) in what shoes people like or don't, I thought I would post a picture for your amusement, invite plenty of "but I really love my Sidis" and take a swipe at the sartorial theosophy of contemporary cycling. These pass my muster.

dbrk

djg
06-12-2006, 09:14 AM
I like 'em, myself.

Dunno 'bout the wedding test. I come from the house of schlub myself. I am wearing running shoes, jeans, and a free (orange--hard to go wrong) bike-to-work t-shirt as I type. Still, I think it's proper dress shoes to a wedding, with the appropriate step-up if it's a formal wedding. That my bike shoes wouldn't cut it doesn't bother me much more than the fact that my tecnica ski boots wouldn't cut it.

Bradford
06-12-2006, 09:22 AM
O You can say your black Sidis are fine. This is because you are used to them. Would you wear them to a wedding?

I wore my Black Sidis at my wedding two years ago. My wife had on her Diadora Chilis. The cleats were a little slippery on the marble stairs of the chapel, but we were glad to have them once we were on the tandem.

By the way, none of the guests seem to mind.

Then again, I do agree that cycling shoes look silly.

Kevan
06-12-2006, 09:35 AM
New things on the horizon...

Would you believe... (http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2006/5/24/1982112.html)

Ray
06-12-2006, 09:39 AM
One of my pet peeves (you mean "another", right?) is that modern cycling shoes add to the Ringling Bros look of bike riders. Since it's largely unavoidable I aim for somewhere between Homer Price and the Aliens Invade in Plastic and while most of my bikes look right with clips'n'straps (and so shoes that look like shoes), clipless road shoes are another story. You can say your black Sidis are fine. This is because you are used to them. Would you wear them to a wedding? I wore my oldschool Reynolds lace ups to mine and everyone thought...well, let's not go there.

Anyway, Adidas has a new shoe that approaches the unoffensive to my overly sensitive eye and since there is nothing at stake (nothing!!) in what shoes people like or don't, I thought I would post a picture for your amusement, invite plenty of "but I really love my Sidis" and take a swipe at the sartorial theosophy of contemporary cycling. These pass my muster.

dbrk
I like the looks of those, but I have to say that I've really come to like the velcro straps on my 'modern' shoes (take your choice of brands). Don't care about buckles one way or the other - they don't add much or hurt anything relative to velcro. Either way, the ability to tighten them up for some sections, loosen them up when its hot and my feet start hurting, etc, would be pretty tough to give up. Another case of function beating out form in my cycling preferences.

-Ray

Jack Brunk
06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
DBRK,

I have a new pair and they are to me, just about the perfect shoe. They look great and are very easy to adjust on your foot. I literally slip the shoe on pull up the laces and go. They use a very nice soft leather which gives the shoe a great feel while on your foot. The sole is very stiff compared to my Sidi Ergo Carbon. So far I give the shoe an A.

Jack

fiamme red
06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
DBRK,

I have a new pair and they are to me, just about the perfect shoe. They look great and are very easy to adjust on your foot. I literally slip the shoe on pull up the laces and go. They use a very nice soft leather which gives the shoe a great feel while on your foot. The sole is very stiff compared to my Sidi Ergo Carbon. So far I give the shoe an A.

JackHow are they sized? I wear a 44 Sidi, what would fit me in these?

dbrk
06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
How are they sized? I wear a 44 Sidi, what would fit me in these?

Jack will have a better understanding of sizing. Mine are on the way, they are saying four to seven days.

dbrk

Jack Brunk
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
My shoe size on the Adidas is 41.5 and 42.5 on the Sidi's.

Jack

fiamme red
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
My shoe size on the Adidas is 41.5 and 42.5 on the Sidi's.

JackA difference of one full size! I'm glad I asked before ordering. Thanks!

jasont
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Whoa, that's a nice looking shoe. I bought a pair of crappy "Cat 1" brand shoes and I'm not really happy with them. I think I'll try to find these.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jack Brunk
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I think they retail for $239.00. I paid $209 for mine compared to a retail of 399 for the Ergo's. I think there a great deal for the value.

Jack

72gmc
06-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice shoe. Did anyone have an opportunity to try them on? We have an adidas store here in Seattle but they haven't carried cycling shoes or clothes for several years now...

Steve Hampsten
06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
What a happy coincidence! I ordered my Adidas not ten minutes ago from a pal, she being a new NW Adidas rep.

Now if we can convince Giro to issue a leather hairnet-style hard helmet we'll be in business.

Bill Bove
06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Geez guys, those Adidas do nothing for me. But heck, they don't have to, you guys like 'em, you bought 'em. Anybody remember the Beta Biker? Those and a Selev hairnet I'd like to get a hold of.

rpm
06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
When you guys get them, post some notes on how they fit. Do they tend to fit narrow, wide, or in-between? And are they real leather or Lorica?

stevep
06-12-2006, 07:56 PM
i think i have a leather hairnet in the garage.
want it?
the bata bikers, however, are long, long gone

stevep
06-12-2006, 07:58 PM
i have seen a guy show up on our rides with bike shoes that look exactly like italian dress shoes...brown leather, clipless attachment..
these shoes could easily be worn to a wedding...
dont know what they are or where they came from, though.
somebody here must have seen them

rpm
06-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Forget the bata bikers. I want the old Avocet touring shoes, the ones with the grooves in the bottom. They were perfect with a set of Phil Wood pedals.

ericspin
01-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Dug up this old thread whilst searching for toe clip and strap info. Are any of you guys still using these Adidas shoeas or anything similar. Still scheming on my fixie build and I am really thinking about toe clips and straps. Have you ever felt the smoooooooooth bearing action of an MKS-RX1 pedal? They have me thankin' about clips and straps and shoes...oh my!

Eric