PDA

View Full Version : Look HSC5 fork replacement (heresy within...)

a4racer
03-09-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm loving my Look 585 Team build. The only minor complaint I have is that the steerer is a touch too short. 3/4" more steerer and I'd be happy as a clam. That would get me into a more comfortable position. I've looked into getting a replacement Look HSC5 fork and for a variety of reasons, that has come up a dead end. Before you ask, I'm not going to go with a higher rise stem because that would make me look even goofier than I already do. I know, I know.

Crazy thought here, but would an ENVE fork do the trick? Either a 2.0 or 1.0, 1 1/8" straight steerer with 43mm rake...should produce the same geometry as the HSC5 fork...what think ye? Would you run it Enve black, or try to paint it to match?

Thanks all!

Saint Vitus
03-09-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm going down that road as well but for different reasons.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=182203&highlight=hsc5

Depending on which year of production, it seems to be relatively simple as the method that Look used was the same as everyone else more or less. At some point they started using their own "Headfit" system that involves a threaded collar and a circlip to hold and adjust the steerer (this is what I have), I don't know how well or simply a regular fork will adapt to this setup, but I suspect it probably would without too much issue. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 1-1/8" threadless fork to test my theory.

The HSC5 also has the crown race molded in place, so with an aftermarket fork you'd need a proper dimension race to fit onto the steerer. Rake is 43mm and A to C is apx 368mm.

I'm considering a new replacement from Look, but the lead time is very long (up to 6 months!) and I don't have pricing yet, so I may just find something that is close (3T Funda Pro looks tempting) and wing it. Depending on the fork, I'd paint it, but Enve forks look nice as is so I'd probably let it ride as is out of the box (even though my frame is more white then black).