PDA

View Full Version : Thnx 4 torx, sram

Dead Man
03-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for turning a quick and easy stem swap into a 1.5 hour long project as i dig through my entire ····ing garage looks for lost torx bits, so i can get your piece of crap plastic garmin mount out from in front of the faceplate

····ing retards

eBAUMANN
03-09-2016, 04:34 PM
been there...but then i realized that torx is a superior tool interface...and i stopped hating it :p

FlashUNC
03-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Torx is mo betta.

Dead Man
03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Could be - I'm still about 120 credits shy off my engineering degree

My frustration comes from the fact that every bolt on every bike I have is metric hex, except ONE.

choke
03-09-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm with you....Torx may be better on paper but not in practice IMO.

Just replace the offending bolt with a hex head one.

DFABob
03-09-2016, 10:15 PM
You should switch all your screws to flat heads. Then the only tool you'll need will be the fixed blade knife between your teeth...

lhuerta
03-10-2016, 12:57 AM
retards

....really?? Not cool ! In case u haven't been keeping up we r a bit more evolved in this group.

martl
03-10-2016, 01:35 AM
i never loved metric hex anyway. Especially on alloy bolts. On anything smaller than M6, they are a pita.

carpediemracing
03-10-2016, 03:52 AM
I hate when I can't find a tool, but that's on me.

For Torx I only use them really for the Ergo lever bolt (I think?). There might be one other spot.

I bought a folding tool, pretty high quality, US made, brand escapes me (but it's in a green "body" with black Torx tools), and leave it in my bike tool box. It's been good to me, easy to find, and works with the Ergo levers as well as something else (I remember using one of the larger sizes, for what I just can't remember, might have been a non-bike thing).

ldamelio
03-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Carpiediem-you have the Park folding tool. All a home mechanic needs for Torx. I've supplemented mine with some bits for the torque wrench and a three way. To the OP - major over-reaction. Campy 11 has been Torx since 2009, many other brands also use these. Not a big deal in reality, hypothetical advantages ciited above. Not like you need hundreds of dollars worth of special tools for this or like it's completely proprietary to SRAM. It's a common mechanical standard.

Cicli
03-10-2016, 05:48 AM
I would replace all hex head with torx if I had a chance. Far better too engagement.

adhumston
03-10-2016, 06:17 AM
So one can assume you feel the same way about Campy?

oldpotatoe
03-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Thanks for turning a quick and easy stem swap into a 1.5 hour long project as i dig through my entire ����ing garage looks for lost torx bits, so i can get your piece of crap plastic garmin mount out from in front of the faceplate

����ing retards

Poor choice of words, IMHO

For soft, aluminum(which is present in spades on most bolts on all 3 groups these days) bolts, torx far better. Just but a Torx set, put along side your metric allen set and US sized allen set, the real oddball when it comes to worldwide bolt sizes. About $15

For Fuzz, right below..well said!!

"mellifluous prose"..had to look that one up...

fuzzalow
03-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Such drama. And over the most pressing and critical issue of our day...and expressed in such mellifluous prose. Solutions? Don't loose the bits, keep a neater workplace, save the eff-bomb for true effect.

yakstone
03-10-2016, 06:44 AM
Such drama. And over the most pressing and critical issue of our day...and expressed in such mellifluous prose. Solutions? Don't loose the bits, keep a neater workplace, save the eff-bomb for true effect.

Exactly.

chiasticon
03-10-2016, 06:52 AM
just taking any occasion available to bash sram, I guess? plus curse and throw some slurs around?

and all because you can't keep track of things? seems fair.

Raffy
03-10-2016, 07:15 AM
America, what are we offended about today???? :facepalm:

On topic, I hate that I have to have a different bit for my Zipp stem but I do appreciate the more positive engagement and less likelihood of stripping Torx offers.

shovelhd
03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
I would replace all hex head with torx if I had a chance. Far better too engagement.

If I could get Torx Ti hardware for every bolt on my bike, I'd do the same.

FlashUNC
03-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Maybe express the unhappiness with a company's bolt head choice with something other than a slur?

Just spitballing here.

TimD
03-10-2016, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure I care much about engagement at 6 N-m. That I have to duplicate multiple tools, fit them in a tool box, and switch back and forth is a pain. Obviously conversion to an all-Torx universe isn't going to happen in one moment...

The design of the interface isn't great, either; there are multiple opportunities to use the 'wrong' bit which 'sort of works' but leaves a damaged fastener behind - which was a big part of the 'problem' that the Torx interface was intended to 'solve'.

martl
03-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Come to think of it, have we heard Mr. Trumps and Mrs. Clintons stance on the matter yet? :D

Tony
03-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Doesn't sound like Dead Man. Must have had that burger and one too many beers, decided to do some work on his bike : )

Mikej
03-10-2016, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Dead Man;1933026]Could be - I'm still about 120 credits shy off my engineering degree

Ha ha - I get it!

carpediemracing
03-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Carpiediem-you have the Park folding tool.

FWIW I bought it at a hardware store. I think it's a Gorilla Grip. It seems like the same as the Park, just a little less.

Dead Man
03-10-2016, 10:53 AM
This thread has far exceeded my wildest dreams.

Thanks boys.

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Leonardo-Dicaprio-Cheers.jpg