PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Obama!

Mikej
03-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Chain reaction and wiggle are going to be busy -

http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/US-To-Raise-De-Minimis-Level-for-Import-Taxes,9081

Elefantino
03-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Between this and paying $1.799 for gas - in California - last week, I don't know what I'll do with all this extra money.

Joachim
03-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Between this and paying $1.55 for gas - in South Carolina - last week, I don't know what I'll do with all this extra money.

:)

MattTuck
03-09-2016, 10:39 AM
I guess the LBS industry doesn't have a lobbying group.

Mzilliox
03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I guess not, but the LBS has lost this battle a long time ago lobby groups or no, they must offer service to stay relevant just like every other small business owner in america these days. the internet will win at anything when it comes to price, but Service is something people still value. the LBS job/challenge is to help the customer realize they are integral to cycling enjoyment. Some pull it off while those who choose to do less falter. I know plenty of good bike shops that do fine. and the ones i know of who seem to be struggling, well, when ya walk in there you sort of figure out pretty quick why that might be...

kramnnim
03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Wow. I can finally thank Obama and mean it.

PaulE
03-09-2016, 10:59 AM
The big boys who are importing into the US use real customs brokers and pay the correct amount of import duties, which in many instances is zero or de-minimus. So what gets to the LBS has the right duty on it, compared to the random and often incorrect duty that individual consumers face, not to mention the customs broker administrative fee. Do a search of "bicycle" here (http://rulings.cbp.gov/) and you can see hundreds of ruling on what is dutiable and what isn't. If you read through some of these rulings, it also apparent that the big boys know how to request these rulings.

I think this is great news for the consumer.

eddief
03-09-2016, 10:59 AM
apologize for donald comment. Yea! cheaper tires.

PaulE
03-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Will raise the limit on Cuban cigars for individuals returning from a trip to Cuba from $100 to the full $800 limit!

eBAUMANN
03-09-2016, 11:02 AM
siiiiiiiiick

tuscanyswe
03-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Not a good idea imo.

So if EU did the same (and the rest of the world for that matter) we can all now always shop cheaper from another continent? Okay so most of the stuff is made in asia anyways so its hard to evaluate the increased shipping required but it seems dumb at first glance.

Seems to me that swedish businesses (others ofc as well) could now sell parts to usa without 25% swedish vat and then i as a customer in Sweden could buy it back from the usa with no import charges (if EU did the same), possibly cheaper even tho it travelled around the world!?

Bradford
03-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Let's keep Obama and Trump out of this thread or it is not long for the world.

Knock yourself out talking about economic theory and the demise of the LBS, but let's keep clear of the politics.

eddief
03-09-2016, 11:31 AM
will remove.

Let's keep Obama and Trump out of this thread or it is not long for the world.

Knock yourself out talking about economic theory and the demise of the LBS, but let's keep clear of the politics.

bikerboy337
03-09-2016, 11:41 AM
This

is

awesome....

might be getting divorced soon though as my wife will kill me for buying more bike parts...

kramnnim
03-09-2016, 11:51 AM
So, how exactly does this affect the average forumite? We will be free to buy from the UK without fearing a letter from DHL requesting a duty fee?

Mikej
03-09-2016, 11:55 AM
So, how exactly does this affect the average forumite? We will be free to buy from the UK without fearing a letter from DHL requesting a duty fee?

AFAIK - under $800 usd is clear. It used to be $200

Gsinill
03-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Still need a law that rules out DHL as shipping carrier ;)

dustyrider
03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Not a good idea imo.

So if EU did the same (and the rest of the world for that matter) we can all now always shop cheaper from another continent? Okay so most of the stuff is made in asia anyways so its hard to evaluate the increased shipping required but it seems dumb at first glance.
:confused:
Seems to me that swedish businesses (others ofc as well) could now sell parts to usa without 25% swedish vat and then i as a customer in Sweden could buy it back from the usa with no import charges (if EU did the same), possibly cheaper even tho it travelled around the world!?

13 miles away some of the finest peaches grow. In order to purchase these peaches at our "local" grocery store, they are picked, boxed and shipped ~300 miles to Denver. These peaches are then shipped back to the valley they were grown in to be stocked at the "local" grocery store. How can they be competitive with cost directly from the orchard you ask? I have no idea...but they are.

regularguy412
03-09-2016, 08:52 PM
This

is

awesome....

might be getting divorced soon though as my wife will kill me for buying more bike parts...

Yes. Well,, maybe. But at least you'll be better able to afford the attorneys' costs and still have the bike stuff. :p

MIke in AR:beer:

jh_on_the_cape
03-09-2016, 08:54 PM
I guess not, but the LBS has lost this battle a long time ago lobby groups or no, they must offer service to stay relevant just like every other small business owner in america these days. the internet will win at anything when it comes to price, but Service is something people still value. the LBS job/challenge is to help the customer realize they are integral to cycling enjoyment. Some pull it off while those who choose to do less falter. I know plenty of good bike shops that do fine. and the ones i know of who seem to be struggling, well, when ya walk in there you sort of figure out pretty quick why that might be...

There is a recent article in Bicycle Times about LBS and consumer direct bicycle sales in EU vs USA. It is pretty interesting.

Dustin
03-09-2016, 09:03 PM
So if you buy something from Europe for $825, do you risk import duties only on $25, or for the full $825?

SoCalSteve
03-09-2016, 09:13 PM
I've spent waaaaay too much $$$ on Shimano groups over the years from the UK. Never once have I been hit with any import taxes. What will change?

ultraman6970
03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Well thats the thing, if the shops use exclusively their local posts offices, then would be good, but remember too that pretty much DHL pays the import taxes plus their fee to move your stuff out of customs, now with thise pretty much DHL is screwed because they wont be able to come with crap like.. "hey we paid the importation fees"... now we have a better argument to fight for that extra fee dhl asks sometimes.

We need to find the thing exactly how it is in the books now in case dhl wants to charge the import taxes.

https://global.ups.com/wp-content/themes/upsglobal/assets/pdfs/De-minimis-infographic.pdf

http://www.dhl-usa.com/en/important_information/030816.html

Still need a law that rules out DHL as shipping carrier ;)

tiretrax
03-10-2016, 11:04 AM
So if you buy something from Europe for $825, do you risk import duties only on $25, or for the full $825?

Full amount. Buy in batches.

tuscanyswe
03-10-2016, 11:15 AM
13 miles away some of the finest peaches grow. In order to purchase these peaches at our "local" grocery store, they are picked, boxed and shipped ~300 miles to Denver. These peaches are then shipped back to the valley they were grown in to be stocked at the "local" grocery store. How can they be competitive with cost directly from the orchard you ask? I have no idea...but they are.

Yeah terrible, i guess it happens everywhere. Its a shame what we do to our world in order to save our precious money. But I do get that most people including myself don't have money to throw around just because so we will usually shop where its cheaper.

I just dont think governments should pass rules or laws that make it easier for us to do so if it can be helped.

bobswire
03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah terrible, i guess it happens everywhere. Its a shame what we do to our world in order to save our precious money. But I do get that most people including myself don't have money to throw around just because so we will usually shop where its cheaper.

I just dont think governments should pass rules or laws that make it easier for us to do so if it can be helped.

I kinda agree but admit to taking advantage of savings,I also feel governments need to step in and regulate auto use to real need not convenience or boredom. Yet for some Governments are already a burden their supposed God given rights and freedoms. Me thinks we are headed into sh�t storm of sorts.
Oh and BTW Ribble has a 10% or more off sale on Shimano..... http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano/?utm_source=Email_marketing&utm_campaign=Thursday_Mar_10_2016&utm_medium=Ride_Shimano

shinomaster
03-10-2016, 12:38 PM
I get $$$ stuff from Japan ( pottery) and the UK all the time and have never paid for duties ( knock on wood)!