PDA

View Full Version : I guess you could call this a Grail bike

Tickdoc
03-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Vintage steel has one of eddie's molteni tour bikes up for grabs that was ridden in the '75 tdf.

http://www.steel-vintage.com/eddy-merckx-very-own-tour-de-france-bike-molteni-1975-detail/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EM_Molteni&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Collectible+Bicycle

El Chaba
03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I wonder if that's the one he was riding when Thevenet put the screws to him...

tumbler
03-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Interesting. I wonder what a reasonable offer would be on that.

batman1425
03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Great story and bike - but to me, seems like there is nothing in the description that completely establishes provenance beyond it being period correct. Serial number? Pic of Eddy riding it showing a distinguishing mark on the bike that is also present on this one? What was the chain of ownership from the footballer to the current owners?

As my archeaology prof in college used to say, "sensational claims require sensational provenance".

steelbikerider
03-08-2016, 06:42 PM
My size within a cm. Almost matches my normal steel ride.
I wonder if my wife would let cash in an IRA.

Llewellyn
03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Great story and bike - but to me, seems like there is nothing in the description that completely establishes provenance beyond it being period correct. Serial number? Pic of Eddy riding it showing a distinguishing mark on the bike that is also present on this one? What was the chain of ownership from the footballer to the current owners?

As my archeaology prof in college used to say, "sensational claims require sensational provenance".

Yep, I'd want a bit more convincing about the provenance before I paid anything for it.

bicycletricycle
03-08-2016, 08:14 PM
look at that tire clearance, its not a grail bike, its a gravel bike!

R3awak3n
03-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Interesting. I wonder what a reasonable offer would be on that.

I would love to know what the seller is thinking but what are we thinking? 20k? 30k? 50k? 100k? (if moots wants 15k for a 40th year edition this has to be at least twice as much) It is a historical bike with arguably the best cyclist of all times.

velofinds
03-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Wiggins should buy it. He already has Indurain's TT bike.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/exclusive-sir-bradley-wiggins-discusses-his-classic-bike-collection-200546

Black Dog
03-08-2016, 09:23 PM

You meant to say grailvel bike, did you not? :p

By the way it has to be his bike, it has his picture on the head tube!!! Bet his mom put that on their so if he lost it the person who found it would know who's it was.

KJMUNC
03-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Seller also claims to have Rik Van Steenbergen's bike from 1976, but it's one of the Kessels bikes and not a De Rosa. He was obviously well past racing at that point, but still an interesting piece. Wouldn't expect it to approach the Merckx price point....that thing is going to be astronomical.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2016, 06:41 AM

dirt roads were common in racing.