PDA

View Full Version : paint removers and anodizing

vqdriver
03-08-2016, 12:21 PM
is there a particular chemical i should steer clear of in order to remove paint over anodizing? i'm looking to remove paint without touching the anodized finish underneath.
i've heard oven cleaners will strip anodizing so whatever's in those i should avoid?

alternately, what paint remover is known to be anodizing safe?

thirdgenbird
03-08-2016, 12:26 PM
I want to help, but feel I need more context.

What are you removing paint from that is also anodized? Can it be taken apart further? Is this a painted logo over ano?

ultraman6970
03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Here you have a couple of recommendations, I would call the manufacturers to be sure.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/274098-paint-stripper-anodized-finished.html

Dead Man
03-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Ive never seen acetone hurt anodize, nor lacquer thinner.. Both are powerful paint removers.

Greased Lightening will remove anodizing... fyi

03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Depends on which metal was anodized.

vqdriver
03-08-2016, 01:37 PM
I want to help, but feel I need more context.

What are you removing paint from that is also anodized? Can it be taken apart further? Is this a painted logo over ano?

this was originally a silver ano. previous owner did some kind of swirl paint thing that's chipping off in places.

material is aluminum

i have a gallon jug of acetone here from the paint store. i may just dunk this in an acetone bath

thirdgenbird
03-08-2016, 01:41 PM
The acetone bath sounds like a great solution.

nicrump
03-09-2016, 08:58 AM
if the paint is 2k automotive stuff like most OE bike finishes, acetone wont do it.

this on the other hand will strip 2k paint but wont hurt the ano finish beneath.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-1-2-gal-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripping-Gel-HCG73803T/100141801

but... looking at that pic again, it is probably not a catalyzed paint.

bianchi10
03-09-2016, 09:09 AM
product called Jasco Epoxy remover that will take off the clear coat and the logos without effecting the anodizing. Get it at home depot

bshell
03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
any chance a heat gun would work?

vqdriver
03-09-2016, 10:57 AM
i've got acetone here, so i'll give it a go. if it doesn't work, i can head over to home depot and try the citristrip or jasco.
on a related note, how do i dispose of the used acetone? i assume i can't just dump it down the drain. is the citristrip envrio-safe, meaning sewer safe?

thanks for all the input .

Dead Man
03-09-2016, 11:04 AM
I'd think a tank of paint-infused acetone would probably need to be taken to your local transfer station's hazardous material day (ours only has certain days they'll take hazardous materials)

but if you just use rags, they'll dry out before you can even pick them up off the garage floor and throw them away

wallymann
03-09-2016, 11:06 AM
petroleum-based strippers should be fine for anodized metals.

vqdriver
03-09-2016, 08:03 PM
acetone worked like a charm. honestly, i didn't want to deal with chemical waste so instead of a bath, i wrapped it in a rag and doused the rag. let it soak for a bit and then worked it over by hand. some parts easier than others, but i managed to get it all.
it appears whoever painted it took steel wool to it to roughen up the finish prior to painting. good idea for painting it, but it did ruin the ano finish underneath anyway. but i still prefer this 'rugged' silver to the paint so there's that.

so with no clear coat or ano, will aluminum oxidize or anything? probably good as is, yes?