PDA

View Full Version : Old P 9sp Campy Racing Triple questions.....

gmcampy
03-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Just installed 9 speed racing triple on bike.

1. Is there a longer B screw available to help with RD wrap? Mech installed what he had on hand but a slightly longer solution would be better.

2. Can the 50 tooth chain ring be swapped out to a 53?

Thank you for your expertise and assistance :)

Glenn

oldpotatoe
03-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Just installed 9 speed racing triple on bike.

1. Is there a longer B screw available to help with RD wrap? Mech installed what he had on hand but a slightly longer solution would be better.

2. Can the 50 tooth chain ring be swapped out to a 53?

Thank you for your expertise and assistance :)

Glenn

1. Yes, standard size screw but your chain 'may' be too long.

2. Yes standard 135mm BCD chainring. BUT if it's a 50/40/30, front der 'bump' may be too low to get chain reliably from 40t to 53..'may' need a deeper inner cage, like Athena triple front der(current, works great even tho '11s') or even a shimano 6603, made for 52/39/30..

oliver1850
03-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Turning the screw around will gain you a bit more effective length.

I might be able to come up with 32/42/52 rings to swap if you want.

thirdgenbird
03-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Turning the screw around will gain you a bit more effective length.

I might be able to come up with 32/42/52 rings to swap if you want.

I know where you can get a set :)

Ralph
03-08-2016, 01:26 PM
And those old Racing T RD's were only a Medium cage. Limited to about 38 teeth difference (or so...depending on length of hanger)....so with a 30-53 spread in front...that's 23 of them. To make a big cassette work in rear....you're going to have to run the chain slack in small to small. or find a Campy long cage RD of same era. They are out there.

Ralph
03-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Considering the constraints of the med cage RD in your triple application, you would be better off using the 50 tooth big ring, and going to a cassette starting with a smaller small cog. Uses up less "difference" and still gives you the same top gear. Shifts better also with the 50.

I run a 30-42-52 Campy triple on one of my bikes with a 13-26 rear cassette (mostly) and med cage. I can run a bigger rear cassette if I add two links to chain, and let it run slack in small to small....which doesn't hurt anything. A 50 tooth ring would work better for me, and use a cassette starting with 12.

gmcampy
03-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Considering the constraints of the med cage RD in your triple application, you would be better off using the 50 tooth big ring, and going to a cassette starting with a smaller small cog. Uses up less "difference" and still gives you the same top gear. Shifts better also with the 50.

I run a 30-42-52 Campy triple on one of my bikes with a 13-26 rear cassette (mostly) and med cage. I can run a bigger rear cassette if I add two links to chain, and let it run slack in small to small....which doesn't hurt anything. A 50 tooth ring would work better for me, and use a cassette starting with 12.

Yeah im running a 12/28 with the 30/40/50 have some minor issues with chain due to frame geo. just have to NOT go little/little or I could blow up RD, LOL The RD is a Record Ti, mid length. So far its all good....we will see...may wind up back with the compact..worth trying out as I already had the setup