PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open Pro VS DT R1.1

SoCalSteve
06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

I know this is probably very hard to quantify, but, I am just curious how people feel about both/either rim. In terms of ride quality, handling, etc.

Oh, and please, when and if you answer, please tell me your height, weight and what size and type tires you are using. I am sure that those all play a very important role in how your interact with the rims.

I have wheelsets with both and I am finding that I am liking the Open Pro's more than the DT's. I am not sure why, but the OP's just feel more solid to me. More sure footed(if that makes sense).

And, if possible, what you think of the CXP 33's in relationship to either of those box style rims.

As always, thank you all in advance for your knowledge, experience, wisdom and generousity,

Steve

soulspinner
06-12-2006, 05:19 AM
I think my dt rims ride a little more firmly and are a little stiffer but catch a tad more side wind. I missed a bunnyhop and ruined a dt rim. I wonder if my open pro would have survived. The thing about the open pros is the click mine developed after 6000 miles. Annoying. Nicer riding though...

dirtdigger88
06-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Steve- I think the two rims are basicly interchangable

I dont see one with any advantage over the other- in looks or performance

the last two sets of wheels I had built were on open pros- the next set (be ergott no less) are going to be on dt's

my height, weight, tire choice and penis size mean nothing. . . . :D

Jason

keno
06-12-2006, 06:39 AM
I have some DT 240 32 hole hubs dying to be laced into some rims. I already have Velomax Orion IIs (which, despite my differences with Velomax prior to Eaton acquisition, perform well) and a set of Nimbles on DT 240s. Am considering the RR 1.1s, but would consider other rims that might give me a different ride. I'm not looking to replicate what I already have and work well. The OPs just don't do it for me, but are fine on my fixie and the rollers.

keno

ergott
06-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Don't forget that DT redesigned the 1.1 and now have double eyelets. They now have double eyelets instead of single eyelets. This makes them a more rubust design and they weight more now two. Time will tell, but I see the new design as being an improvement despite the weight gain.

Avispa
06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Mr. keno,

You may want to check this thread:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17095

obtuse
06-12-2006, 07:42 AM
having built them both dozens of times, i can tell you that in terms of building them; the dts feel a little softer and springier. in terms of ride quality the open pros do seem to ride a bit more solid despite requiring a bit less tension to build a perfect wheel. i concur with what socalsteve says.

they both make great wheels. the dts are a bit lighter and are particularly great when they're tied and soldered. it seems to give them that extra bit of side to side stiffness they seem to lack.

obtuse

531Aussie
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
I only had one rear DT, and I thought it was a little too flexy, but i WAS 190lbs at the time. The wheel builder at my local shop also finds the DTs a little 'soft', as he calls them. When he read the specs on the DT (he was impressed with the joinining, the weight, the double eyelet and the looks) he was looking forward to getting them, but said he was a little disappointed with the flex he noticed when building.

I have an Open Pro as a front wheel, and it's fine, but I prefer CXP33s for stiffness. In my opnion, the CXP33 provides noticeably more stiffness for only an extra 40-ish grams

I'll tell ya what I REALLY don't like, and that's very light, double-butted spokes. I recently had some DT Revolutions (32 x 292mm = 150g, 32 x 292mm Champions = 241, without nipples) on 2 front wheels (Open Pro and a CXP33), and they were too 'whippy'. There were times when the front of the bike was handling so strange that I thought the headset was sticking, and/or the front tyre was going flat. Could just be me

mls
06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
has anyone tried wheels w/supercomp spokes and
what are your opinions

Elefantino
06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Steve:
I have Open Pros (32-spoke) on one bike and Rolf Sestrieres (with DT hubs) on another. Both are running Maxxis Columbiere tires, 700x23. The rides are very similar in the comfort department; the Sestrieres obviously spin up much more quickly. I have also found that the Open Pros are far less likely to go out of true. I can smash potholes and when I stop and get all anal looking at the rim, nothing.

I had CXP-30s on a CSi, and found them also to be bomb-proof. They also spun up more quickly than the OPs but were a bit rougher.

I had Campy Neutrons on an Atlanta and really liked them. Should have kept them.

FWIW.

Matt Barkley
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
DTs Hands-Down. "Can you get any closer to Campy?" :) - :beer: :beer: Matt Barkley