PDA

View Full Version : Trek 5200 gravel conversion

DrSpoke
03-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Well, I've volunteered to help a friend convert her Trek 5200 for light duty off-road use. Though I have some experience w/Shimano on my mountain and gravel bikes, I'm not very knowledgeable about the older road groups. Specifically, I want to install a cassette with much lower gearing and a long cage RD compatible w/the shifters. I'm also looking for ideas on tires.

For the cassette, I'd like to have at least a 34t low and perhaps a 36t. They are available from SRAM in various models and Shimano in their mountain bike groups. So the 1st question is whether the Shimano mountain cassettes, such as the M771, have compatible cog spacing for use with road shifters.

Next up is the rear derailleur. My assumption is that I would convert to a long cage Shimano road derailleur, probably an Ultegra RD-6700 or perhaps a 105 RD-5700. But, a 2nd question would be whether there are Shimano mountain RDs that are compatible with the Dura-Ace shifters.

Next up are tires. I'd like to use the largest that will fit. It looks like there is quite a bit of clearance w/the 25s so think I'll be ok with a 28c and maybe a 30c. Does anyone have experience as to what the largest tire that may fit? And I'm looking for ideas for a reasonably priced tire, I assume in a 28c. I would like something durable, of course, but also with some tread, if possible, and reasonable weight.

The budget is unknown but I'd like to keep prices reasonable if possible. I am, of course, am open to other ideas I've not considered.

Currently the bike is set up with: Crankset = FSA SL-K compact 50/34, Shifters = Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7800 10-sp, FD = Generic, RD = Shimano Dura-Ace RD-7800, Cassette = Shimano 105 CS-5700, Chain = Shimano Ultegra CN-6701, and Tire = Continental SuperSport 700x25c.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

oldpotatoe
03-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Well, I've volunteered to help a friend convert her Trek 5200 for light duty off-road use. Though I have some experience w/Shimano on my mountain and gravel bikes, I'm not very knowledgeable about the older road groups. Specifically, I want to install a cassette with much lower gearing and a long cage RD compatible w/the shifters. I'm also looking for ideas on tires.

For the cassette, I'd like to have at least a 34t low and perhaps a 36t. They are available from SRAM in various models and Shimano in their mountain bike groups. So the 1st question is whether the Shimano mountain cassettes, such as the M771, have compatible cog spacing for use with road shifters.

Next up is the rear derailleur. My assumption is that I would convert to a long cage Shimano road derailleur, probably an Ultegra RD-6700 or perhaps a 105 RD-5700. But, a 2nd question would be whether there are Shimano mountain RDs that are compatible with the Dura-Ace shifters.

Next up are tires. I'd like to use the largest that will fit. It looks like there is quite a bit of clearance w/the 25s so think I'll be ok with a 28c and maybe a 30c. Does anyone have experience as to what the largest tire that may fit? And I'm looking for ideas for a reasonably priced tire, I assume in a 28c. I would like something durable, of course, but also with some tread, if possible, and reasonable weight.

The budget is unknown but I'd like to keep prices reasonable if possible. I am, of course, am open to other ideas I've not considered.

Currently the bike is set up with: Crankset = FSA SL-K compact 50/34, Shifters = Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7800 10-sp, FD = Generic, RD = Shimano Dura-Ace RD-7800, Cassette = Shimano 105 CS-5700, Chain = Shimano Ultegra CN-6701, and Tire = Continental SuperSport 700x25c.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

-Yes...match the shifters to the cogset-10s=10s, as an example. MTB-road spacing the same.
-Yes, any shimano MTB 9s rear der will work great with any(except 11s) shimano STI levers.
-Go to a decent bike shop and if they want to make the sale, they'll try various tires to see what fits. Don't be that guy tho..finding out and then walking out and being a MO cowboy.

DrSpoke
03-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info - just what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking at a RD-M591 SGS for a RD. And, I've got an old XT 11-36 10-sp cassette (CS-M771) & chain I can use to test fit and function. If it all works, and I assume it will, I'll buy a new cassette and chain.

As far as tires, I've got a bunch lying around though most are on thru axle wheelsets. But I think I can try the 30c just for clearance. One of our friends has a wheelset with some 28c tires already mounted that he set up for a similar purpose. So I can try those and hopefully buy them from him.

I agree re bike shops. Thankfully, I've got a great one a few miles from me - BikeBling. And am on good terms with the owner and most of the staff. I do use mail order but it seems I walk out of there w/a lighter wallet almost every time I'm in there - which is often.

dave thompson
03-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Make sure you choose a rear derailleur that's rated for 36t. Some are rated for 34t.

David Tollefson
03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
In spite of the Ultegra and 105 RDs being long cage, all it does is increase the total capacity, not the largest rear cog compatibility -- they're still rated to 28T if I remember right. Going to a 9-speed MTB long-cage will work just fine with the 10-speed road shifters, and up the largest cog to 34, if not 36T.

FlashUNC
03-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Been a while since I had my 5200, but I'd be surprised if 28s fit.

Ken Robb
03-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Assuming Shimano short-reach brakes I would be surprised if 700x30mm tires would fit. Of course the frame/fork might be more limiting than the brakes. OTOH I know riders in Escondido don't have much mud to worry about so minimal clearance for tires may be acceptable.

oliver1850
03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
I'd be surprised if you can fit larger than 28s on a 5200. I have an early 5500 here that I can throw some 28s on to check if you want. Calipers may make some difference but Shimano generally has the most clearance.

Hilltopperny
03-08-2016, 12:36 PM
I used to have a 5200 and it would fit 28s. I don't see it fitting anything larger. I have a pilot that I now use for gravel/adventure and it has clearance for 32s, but it's certainly tight in the rear.

DrSpoke
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
In spite of the Ultegra and 105 RDs being long cage, all it does is increase the total capacity, not the largest rear cog compatibility -- they're still rated to 28T if I remember right. Going to a 9-speed MTB long-cage will work just fine with the 10-speed road shifters, and up the largest cog to 34, if not 36T.

Thanks, that was sort of what I was thinking re the road RDs. That said, I'm running an 11-36 11-sp with a RD6800 on my gravel bike. So hopefully an 11-36 10-sp will work w/ the mtn RD and if not an 11-34 should be adequate. Plus, I've got an 11-36 to try first.

DrSpoke
03-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the input on tires. I tried a Schwalbe S-One and it seemed to fit, at least in the front, though I couldn't be sure as it was on a thru axle wheel. I should be ok w/a 28c though. Thankfully, a friend has some 28s already mounted that he's been using off-road that I can try before making a decision.

roydyates
03-08-2016, 11:01 PM
My 5200 almosts fits a Conti 4season 28. You can stuff it in there really isn't enough vertical clearance under the front fork. The Conti 28 runs small, and other 28s almost certainly won't fit. My 5200 was near the end of the line. Older versions had a different fork so your fit may be different.

DrSpoke
03-09-2016, 12:32 PM
I think her 5200 is near the end of the line too. Thankfully we have a friend that has a set up Schwalbes already mounted that we can try. I'm pretty sure most 28s will fit. If not, then something like the Open Pave in 27c.