PDA

View Full Version : Altering Bibs

KWalker
03-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Anyone ever had this done/is this possible? I really wish my team bibs were an inch longer as I have the tall guy problem and can't go up a size as they get too baggy. Would a normal tailor do this or does it have to be someone special?

PaulE
03-06-2016, 05:35 PM
I would recommend someone who specializes in cycling/specialty athletic technical clothing. Get in touch with Dan at Hidden Bay Graphics, here (http://www.hiddenbaygraphics.com/sports). I found out about him here on the forum, he converted a couple of pair of tights to bib tights for me, did a great job and I though the price was very reasonable. He'll tell you what's possible and what it might cost before you send him the clothes.

03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
It really depends on which bibs. For most the easiest is to insert a stretch mesh panel in the T-section of the back. The least real tailoring is required that way and as long as the yoke hasn't crept up to push the back of your neck, it works well and looks good.

If that doesn't work, you can simply add inserts just below the apex of the straps in front. For that one, even sporting goods tailors don't usually get it right, so the best approach is to sew up a tube from some lycra from some old bibs (or use the straps from the old bibs if they are similar dimensions) and attach the insert in a cut in the bib straps on each side, using just safety pins. Do 3-4 safety pins on each side so they are held very solidly (using just one or two pins lets them pivot around and they will neither feel right nor will they emulate how they will feel after being stitched in). This is easy to do yourself if you have a sewing machine and any idea how to stitch lycra. It's really easy. Then you can either stitch the inserts in yourself or you can give them to any tailor who will have everything perfectly positioned.

One thing, if these are new bibs, wear them a few times first. Most bibs stretch in quite a bit, and in particular in the shoulder straps. They may fit you just fine after 4-5 wearings and washings.

Lastly, remember the old Assos line: They need to fit you when bent over, and that typically reduces the length of shoulder straps that you need.

KWalker
03-07-2016, 04:08 PM
The problem is total leg length so it would have to be in the legs.

OtayBW
03-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Oh boy - I think you'd loose the integrity of the design if you added inseam length. I'd be inclined to boot it for another manufacturer who cuts their bibs the way you want them. But, GL...

Benneke
03-07-2016, 04:48 PM
A normal tailor would not be able to do this because they typically work with thread that doesn't stretch. For the same reason, most tailors are ill-equipped to work on any athletic clothing. Additionally, it would be very difficult for them to source fabric that would work with your bibs.

93legendti
03-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Sounds like an uphill struggle, but maybe trimming knickers or tights and adding an elastic grip hem above the knee might work. Seems like it might be hard to get the length right...

regularguy412
03-07-2016, 08:43 PM
The style and construction of late has been to use a slightly tighter band around the bottom of the leg to keep the short from riding up (instead of using 'grippers'). I'm no seamstress, but sure seems like it would be possible to just add some lycra or wide elastic around the bottom of the leg as is shown in this pic of Gore Power 3.0 shorts. This would serve to lengthen the inseam a bit without getting into the deconstruction of the inseam. I happen to have 2 pairs of these Gore shorts and they fit great. The extra band of fabric appears to be just literally zig-zagged onto the outside of the main part of the leg of the shorts.

Mike in AR:beer:

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360093333/gore-tmpows9956-frt-2014.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

berserk87
03-10-2016, 09:16 AM
I just saw this advice via Lennard Zinn's Velonews column, coincidentally:

Dear Lennard,
I’ve had cycling gear altered in the past. If you’re worried about finding someone that can handle some of the exotic fabrics, here is my recommendation:

Locate your nearest dance studio; they can connect you with a tailor who can work on Lycra. Some of those dance recital outfits make Assos look cheap.
— John"

54ny77
03-10-2016, 09:19 AM
i prefer bibs that extend to the knees.

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/legacy.images/smosh-pit/092010/drib-adult-bib.jpg

cmbicycles
03-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Here is a previous thread on the topic with a couple suggestions.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=170715

TiminVA
03-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I would recommend someone who specializes in cycling/specialty athletic technical clothing. Get in touch with Dan at Hidden Bay Graphics, here (http://www.hiddenbaygraphics.com/sports). I found out about him here on the forum, he converted a couple of pair of tights to bib tights for me, did a great job and I though the price was very reasonable. He'll tell you what's possible and what it might cost before you send him the clothes.
Are they fairly responsive? I contacted them several days ago and still no response.