PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Tire... Can it be saved?

tbushnel
06-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a nice used Vittoria special Pave tubular that I was getting ready to glue up. I went to put some air in the tire and discovered a leak at the base of the stem. Is this tire done, or is it likely I can patch/repair this.

I won't feel too bad if I can't ride it since I need to practice my tubular repair/stitching etc anyway. But I would like to use it on the road if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
Cheers,
TEd.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

ps: sorry I didnt search the forum prior to posting. Hopefully this hasn't been answered 10+ times before.

ada@prorider.or
06-11-2006, 03:01 PM
it can be repaired a the base on the stem if you put a patch on the inner tyre your selve of course you have to stich it after this
but yes could be done altought you need some experiance to do this

djg
06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, they put a butyl tube in, but you get a new tube and base tape for a lot less than the price of a new tire: http://www.tirealert.com/

(haven't used them yet myself, but I've heard positive things)

06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Tom,

Save old tires, because you can remove the inner tube from a defunct tire, cut out the valve section of the tube, and splice it into the existing tube (or, if the old tube wasn't punctured or repaired, just cut it, feed it through the tire, and have just one splice to deal with). You can't splice butyl to latex well, but this works well. This method means you don't have to worry about whether there's a puncture near the stem, or a failure in the stem mounting, or whatever. One trick about this (and any tubular repair) -- don't cut on both sides of the valve stem. Keep one side intact because this point gets a bit more stress and you want to be sure you don't create a bump or irregular spot in the tire.

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Vote for what 11.4 says...in the bad ol days re-using good tubes was the way to go. I open the seam a few inches away from the valve and work it...takes some effort but sewing around the valve is difficult and this avoids that noise.

tbushnel
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I appreciate the advice. I will save the tire and work on repairing it. I have two further questions. First, are the details of splicing the tube easily explained or is there a good reference? Second, can you use "regular" clincher type latex or butyl inner tubes for the repair or where do you find the spares (other than old tubular tires... unless this is the best source)
Ted.

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 09:05 AM
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-16.html

Call when you get work ;)

dvancleve
06-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Funny but I have a never glued Special Pave that also seems to have developed a leak at the valve. Somebody who seemed to know what he was talking about said he has successfully opening the casing about an inch both ways, pulling out the stem, and carefully gluing a cannibalized stem with that oval of tube still attached over the hole. Ideally it would be a stem from a latex tube but I'm not sure that is likely for me and I have had success sticking regular Rema patches to latex tubes. I have a detailed e-mail somewhere, but that is what I plan to try since worst case it doesn't work and I send it off to Tire Alert (might send a nicer tube along with it).

Doug

I have a nice used Vittoria special Pave tubular that I was getting ready to glue up. I went to put some air in the tire and discovered a leak at the base of the stem. Is this tire done, or is it likely I can patch/repair this.

I won't feel too bad if I can't ride it since I need to practice my tubular repair/stitching etc anyway. But I would like to use it on the road if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
Cheers,
TEd.

tbushnel
06-13-2006, 09:11 AM
for TT, 11.4 or anyone in the know. The article that TT referenced was very helpful in making clear the job ahead of me. My question is whether I can use Vittoria Mastik one (which I have on hand) for splicing the latex tube instead of the "Pastali rim cement" that is mentioned in the article. I would be happy to use the Pastali, but I have no idea where to get it.
Thanks,
Ted.

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I recall using patch glue not rim cement to splice tubes...but the article mentions an issue with that soooooo I don't have a good answer other than to do a test first with a laytex or butyl junk tube and see how that goes.

06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
That article is the only place I've ever seen rim cement recommended for gluing tubes. I've found that the latex glue (basically, rubber cement) that Rema sells to patch tubes will work with their patches, but tends to roll off latex and some butyl tires when you're splicing them. However, it's just a matter of handling, and if you just don't let the tube slide and roll (so that you peel off the upper layer of the splice) you're going to be fine. I've tried various other glues and find that most either are very hard to manage or don't create an airtight seal -- and that includes using rim cements. Neoprene cement works very well, probably the best of anything (that's rubber wet suit cement from a dive shop). That's what I currently use, partly because it is so easy to apply.

tbushnel
06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I'll give the neoprene cement a whirl.
Ted. :banana:

MartyE
06-13-2006, 11:45 AM
The other option if you are sewing challenged is to send
the whole thing off to Tire Alert in Florida
http://www.tirealert.com/ get a whole new tube
and let them do the sewing.

Marty

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 12:58 PM
11.4 soooo knows his stuff. I totally forgot about the Neopren can staring me in the face. SUPER sticky.