PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lube Advice

FuerteTi04
06-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Time to hit the shop and buy some more lube. I live in Denver where it's dry. Our trails are spectacular so dust isn't too bad. What's the best chain lube? What's the best oil/lube for the other mechanics, cables, etc? Thanks for the opinions!

stevep
06-11-2006, 01:34 PM
whatever one is on the left in the display. figure out how it works best...
and then use it... 2 oz should last a year.
not wax shiite

terrytnt
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro-link my friend... it's one of the all around best lubes albeit somewhat pricey

znfdl
06-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Rock 'n Roll Gold is the only way to go.

quehill
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
In dry conditions-
Pro-Link works great and keeps the chain spotless.
Boeshield works even better, but the chain gunks up a little more over time.

In wet/ muddy conditions-
I still haven't found anything better than White Lightning Race Day, but you have to clean and relube the drivetrain after every ride. (Which you really ought to do anyway if you're riding in the muck)

I use Tri-flow on the mechs themselves (derailleur pivots and the like), Pro-Link on cables during the dry season, and Dumonde liquid grease on cables when it's wet.

Cheers!

toaster
06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
IMHO, instead of debating brands, cleanliness is number one priority then use as little lube as possible.

This is a little different from using grease. Grease goes into areas that are sealed from the elements. Clean and very, very lightly lubed points are out in the open and subject to environmental contamination. The drive chain being the primary area of concern, usually.

The worst scenario, but often practiced, is riding your bike with lube on your chain then after some mileage adding some more lube and then repeating the process over and over again. If the chain is cleaned and flushed with a solvent, dried, and lightly relubed at the roller/pin areas regularly then it will last longer along with the other components in the drivetrain.

Kevan
06-11-2006, 07:05 PM
they say Boeshield ain't a lubricant, but honestly I think the stuff is terrific for the chain. The drive stays pretty clean, is easy to relube and wipe clean.

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Do a search of this forum and if you can read all the posts on this subject in less than one day I'd be shocked. TONs of great info. Bottomline...it seems to be a "regional" dealio. Talk to your shop, use what the wrenches have on their benchtop ;)

keno
06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
now that I've invested a substantial portion of my retirement income in RockNRoll Gold lube you come out with generic advice? Did I get dropped like you incorrectly claim happened to you on Saturday at TTown. BTW, the mudlisde iced latte you faded me to was great and did allow me to read well into the night.

keno

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Bubbalah...you are REGIONAL :) Some may claim otherwise.
My pleasure, but it's still not coffee.

keno
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
a coffee maven I ain't, but will attest to fly's cappa, but what about the lube? Remember, I'm on a fixed income.

keno

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Easy, just wipe the excess off of Manets chain ;) badump bump.

chrisroph
06-12-2006, 08:26 PM
4 parts spirits to one part motor oil.