PDA

View Full Version : Triple to Compact???

SoCalSteve
06-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi all,

Can this be done without changing out the whole drivetrain? Or, if not, what components need to be changed out at a minimum to make it work properly?

Oh, btw, its a D/A 10 speed triple drivetrain.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

Marburg
06-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Should be just the cranks (and BB, of course). And maybe the front der?

Oh, snap. Will you need to change the front shifter too? I've only done the conversion on Campy...

eddief
06-11-2006, 10:51 AM
you should be able to adjust your triple front d to do the trick by setting the limits to work with the compact double and moving it downward to be adjacent to the large ring on the compact. Depending on what bb technology you are using you may or may not have to replace your existing bb. You could install a compact double on a triple bb, but a narrower double bb would make sense especially if you are concerned about q factor. But I believe you could just slap on the compact crank with a compatible bb technology and ride off into the sunset.

Maybe a couple links out of the chain too.

You should be able to shift the double with the triple shifter.

Sandy
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

Can this be done without changing out the whole drivetrain? Or, if not, what components need to be changed out at a minimum to make it work properly?

Oh, btw, its a D/A 10 speed triple drivetrain.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

A better question than how you might do it, is WHY would you want to do it? What possible gains wouuld you obtain? Certainly not gearing. Maybe a few grams of weight? The "look" of a double versus a triple? Possibly better shifting (probably not).

So, I respectfully ask- for what purpose? What do you really gain that has any significance at all ??

Sandy

SoCalSteve
06-11-2006, 11:50 AM
A better question than how you might do it, is WHY would you want to do it? What possible gains wouuld you obtain? Certainly not gearing. Maybe a few grams of weight? The "look" of a double versus a triple? Possibly better shifting (probably not).

So, I respectfully ask- for what purpose? What do you really gain that has any significance at all ??

Sandy

Sandy,

I will respectfully answer you...I am just "toying" with the idea. I'm not saying that I WILL do it, just if it is feasible (for not alot of swapping). But, to REALLY answer your question, I've had a signifigant weight loss these last few months and I just dont need a triple anymore. I may just be able to get away with a 53/39 double, actually. But, I wanted to leave my options open. So, I guess its "ego" more than anything else.

Respectfully,

Steve

dave thompson
06-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually, the triple front dérailleur will work quite well with the compact cranks, providing it's set and adjusted properly.

SoCalSteve
06-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Can you just go from a triple to a double 53/39????

Thanks again,

Steve

Dekonick
06-11-2006, 03:34 PM
If you have Campy I believe you dont have to change the shifter - they work with doubles or tripples. I have no experience here - but I believe that is the case. I suppose Shimano would be the same wouldnt it?

BoulderGeek
06-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I just had mine done. Went from Campy Chorus triple to FSA carbon compact double.

BB was pulled in favor of the integrated FSA ExoBB.

Triple front der was retained, moved down, limited in swing.

Chorus mid-cage rear der was retained.

My reason was looks and ego. Plus, I wanted a 175 crank, not the 172.5 that was on the triple.

Serotta PETE
06-11-2006, 04:13 PM

Thanks again,

Steve

yes, change BB also and the stop on front der will keep the triple lever/shifter to performing as a double.

PETE

palincss
06-11-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks again,

Steve

I assume your triple is a 130, probably 30-40-52. How about for starters you just ignore the granny? That change is free and the gearing isn't that much different from what you'd get with a 39-53.

Rapid Tourist
06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
To add to what palincss said, I think you can adjust the limits on your front derailleur to prohibit it from shifting into the smallest chainring. You could ride it that way and see if you miss having the granny. Just a thought.

I know this doesn't answer your original question...