PDA

View Full Version : Lacing/building a wheel off a Campy Shamal Ultra rim question

weisan
03-05-2016, 04:03 AM
I scored on a used gold Shamal Ultra rim yesterday at the local co-op.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1227/3560/1600/New2007Wheels_12_0003.jpg

I have never laced a wheel using G3 pattern before.

So a couple of questions:

1) How do I determine the correct spoke length?

2) Is there a special dedicated hub, spoke, nipple for this?

oldpotatoe
03-05-2016, 05:15 AM
I scored on a used gold Shamal Ultra rim yesterday at the local co-op.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1227/3560/1600/New2007Wheels_12_0003.jpg

I have never laced a wheel using G3 pattern before.

So a couple of questions:

1) How do I determine the correct spoke length?

2) Is there a special dedicated hub, spoke, nipple for this?

If that's the rim, you are only going to be able to use that hub and those spokes. You won't be able to morph that rim onto a different hub. If you look at the rim, you will see they use specific nipples, into specific spokes, laced to a specific hub.

weisan
03-05-2016, 05:27 AM
thank you old pal.

aw....thst's too bad. :o:D

Ralph
03-05-2016, 06:30 AM
I know of two people in my area who can and do fix those wheels...who know where and how to get parts. Imagine the same where you live. With questions contact JimIngram@aol.com.

weisan
03-05-2016, 06:32 AM
I know of two people in my area who can and do fix those wheels...who know where and how to get parts. Imagine the same where you live.

Thank you Raiph pal, I won't give up so easily.

Just to make a point.

Old pal, I know in the past you have commented about the silliness of Mavic with their proprietary wheel system which makes repair and replacement parts difficult. Would you say the same with the Shamal, campy?

oldpotatoe
03-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Thank you Raiph pal, I won't give up so easily.

Just to make a point.

Old pal, I know in the past you have commented about the silliness of Mavic with their proprietary wheel system which makes repair and replacement parts difficult. Would you say the same with the Shamal, campy?

Yes, along with any wheelouttabox. shimano, Fulcrum, any. The nice thing about Campag/Fulcrum/shimano, is they use really nice hubs, something that mavic hasn't figured out(road wheels). BUT proprietary wheels, after the manufacturer doesn't support them any longer, makes the hubs expensive pen holders.

Pretty easy to make a 1500 gram tubular wheelset using a variety of hubs/rims made today. And when the rim is no mas...rebuild. Yes, not triplett spokes and gold stuff(altho that's not impossible) and all but also...less $. Certainly less than $1100-$1200.

Record hubs, Velocity Escape rims, Sapim Race and Laser spokes..About $700....