PDA

View Full Version : got a tick in my tubulars

Tickdoc
03-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Glued on a new set of corsa cx's for the season on the old ciocc and it sounds like the front tire has a little tick in it somewhere. Only happens at a good pace. (Doesn't seem to be the valve stem).

Spin it as fast as I want and nothing. Ride on it and the faster you go (over say 12mph) it is there.

Just enough to be annoying on an otherwise silent bike. Tell me I don't have to pry it off and reglue. If I have to I will, but I'm riding it tomorrow regardless.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/8B12157B-C5F4-4C9E-B88B-0AAA8D4E3A3B_zpsl05kfrwy.jpg

David Kirk
03-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a spot in the glue that has come undone or a spoke issue.

dave

jtakeda
03-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Aren't you supposed to be the tick doc?

(Valve stem maybe?)

FlashUNC
03-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Is it a tick you can hear, feel or both?

Tickdoc
03-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Is it a tick you can hear, feel or both?

no feel, only hear.

Tickdoc
03-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Aren't you supposed to be the tick doc?

(Valve stem maybe?)

I know, right?

Just because that is my name, I don't want to hear it.:crap:

45K10
03-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Try deflating the tire and then wrap teflon tape around the valve stem, tire and rim puncturing the tape as you go. Wrap it extremely tight.

Re-inflate the tire to 120psi and let it sit overnight, then test ride to see if tick is still present

wgp
03-04-2016, 06:34 PM
(Valve stem maybe?)

Second this - if the stems aren't wrapped, they often tick - but only when there is weight on the wheels; spinning them on their own isn't enough.

NOTE: Looks like 45K10 and I posted at almost exactly the same time!

charliedid
03-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Low spoke tension? (rubbing against each other)

Tickdoc
03-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Try deflating the tire and then wrap teflon tape around the valve stem, tire and rim puncturing the tape as you go. Wrap it extremely tight.

Re-inflate the tire to 120psi and let it sit overnight, then test ride to see if tick is still present

I'll try this first.

thanks!

john903
03-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I had the same issue on the rear, I thought "what the heck is that sound" So check around valve stem, is it real loose in the valve stem hole? I put teflon tape around valve stem and deflated the tire and put a dab more glue on the tire around the valve stem. The sound went away. The next time I glued up some tires I just put a bit more glue around the valve stem and as I inflated the tire I just made sure the tire was really seated well (rolled the wheel around on a broom handle.)

Tickdoc
03-04-2016, 09:22 PM
I had the same issue on the rear, I thought "what the heck is that sound" So check around valve stem, is it real loose in the valve stem hole? I put teflon tape around valve stem and deflated the tire and put a dab more glue on the tire around the valve stem. The sound went away. The next time I glued up some tires I just put a bit more glue around the valve stem and as I inflated the tire I just made sure the tire was really seated well (rolled the wheel around on a broom handle.)

I deflated the tire and the tire pulled fairly easily away on one side of the stem. I applied a little more glue, rolled it around a bit, aired it up to 120, and I guess I'll find out in the am.

Dead Man
03-04-2016, 09:38 PM
little electrical tape pierced by the valve stem will do the trick for a quick fix

That's how I do it on my carbon rims, usually.. haven't had any ticking stems on my short-section anodize'd's

rwsaunders
03-04-2016, 09:41 PM
I deflated the tire and the tire pulled fairly easily away on one side of the stem. I applied a little more glue, rolled it around a bit, aired it up to 120, and I guess I'll find out in the am.

I'd be surprised if that didn't do the trick...been there, done that.

ultraman6970
03-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Ultra uses liquid electrical tape sometimes in the valve.

Cant remember if its vittoria or tufo but one of them have a decal thing that is designed to stop valve ticking.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2016, 05:25 AM
Glued on a new set of corsa cx's for the season on the old ciocc and it sounds like the front tire has a little tick in it somewhere. Only happens at a good pace. (Doesn't seem to be the valve stem).

Spin it as fast as I want and nothing. Ride on it and the faster you go (over say 12mph) it is there.

Just enough to be annoying on an otherwise silent bike. Tell me I don't have to pry it off and reglue. If I have to I will, but I'm riding it tomorrow regardless.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/8B12157B-C5F4-4C9E-B88B-0AAA8D4E3A3B_zpsl05kfrwy.jpg

Sometimes tubies can have a noise like this. Place where the tire is moving or squishing a bit as it rotates. You can take off and re-glue but it also may be the tune in the tire, moving a bit. Or just ride it or take it off and use a spare.

Pretty rig...