PDA

View Full Version : $460 Friggin Bibs ??!?!??!!

Dr Luxurious
03-04-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=T%2ECampionissimo+s7+Bib+Shorts&vendorCode=ASSOS&major=4&minor=16

fa63
03-04-2016, 03:00 PM
But it is made of "Type.444 ergoKompressor" calibrated textile.

And it has a "kuku Penthouse".

:D

FlashUNC
03-04-2016, 03:02 PM
If they're better than the S5 fi.13's -- and by all reports they are -- then they're worth it to someone.

GScot
03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
But it has the kuku penthouse. :banana:

I just bought some Assos S7 Equipe from Ribble during their last sale for 1/3 that price. Only one longish ride in but I have to say the bibs are spectacular. Excellent fit for me and the chamois seems perfect. Previous favorites were DeMarchi Contour Plus and some mid range Castelli.

Blown Reek
03-04-2016, 03:05 PM
With a name like Dr Luxurious, I would think this would pique your interest.

Bostic
03-04-2016, 03:06 PM
WHEN TO USE?
Every day is not a Campionissimo day. To get the most out of T.campionissimo, wear them when you are in your best form. Save them for the day when you need every advantage, when you can't afford to compromise.

ripvanrando
03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
The Assos S7 T Centos are much more comfortable than the S5 fi.13 or Mille.

I don't see the need to spend $460 for the S7 Championassosismoskys

shovelhd
03-04-2016, 03:15 PM
This needs to be moved to the boner stem thread.

soulspinner
03-04-2016, 03:18 PM
this needs to be moved to the boner stem thread.

:d

beeatnik
03-04-2016, 03:32 PM
They're $24.76 with a free chamois cream and autographed picture of Fabian. Here:

www.ribblez.com

jtakeda
03-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Pretty good deal when you factor in the GoldenGate and kuku penthouse technologies.

makoti
03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Did you read the features? "Best bib short ever made. Period" That should explain it. I'm surprised they aren't an even $500.

bcroslin
03-04-2016, 04:10 PM
http://labiciclettaproshop.com/images/library/large/assos_f13_bib_whit_11_m.jpg

this dude says they're totally worth it

shovelhd
03-04-2016, 04:28 PM
He's bonerless

mhespenheide
03-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Mathematically, flaws and price are in an inverse relationship.

As flaws approach zero, price approaches infinity. The fewer flaws there are, the more it costs to eliminate any remaining flaws.

(How else do you explain wheels that cost over $2k, the THM Clavicula, and $460 shorts?)

Seramount
03-04-2016, 06:21 PM
every piece of cycling gear I own (5 pairs of shorts, fleece bibs, knickers, two pairs of gloves, windbreaker, 7 ss jerseys, 1 ls jersey, 2 pairs of shoes, two helmets) adds up to just a smidge over $1K...

so, $460 for ONE pair of bibs...?

not gonna happen.

pdmtong
03-04-2016, 07:28 PM
every piece of cycling gear I own (5 pairs of shorts, fleece bibs, knickers, two pairs of gloves, windbreaker, 7 ss jerseys, 1 ls jersey, 2 pairs of shoes, two helmets) adds up to just a smidge over $1K...
so, $460 for ONE pair of bibs...? not gonna happen.

Ignoring the gloves, that's $50 average per item. You are the frugality winner for sure.

MagicHour
03-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I did the exact same thing with T.equipes, and just got mine this week. I've always wanted to try a pair of Assos. I do most of my riding on my trainer at least this time of year, and these are superb-perfect fit and the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn. That being said, not sure if id pay full US retail, unless maybe I had a huge income spike, and definitely wouldn't spend $460 on bibs! That's crazy. :)
I just bought some Assos S7 Equipe from Ribble during their last sale for 1/3 that price. Only one longish ride in but I have to say the bibs are spectacular. Excellent fit for me and the chamois seems perfect.

Dead Man
03-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Yea.. when my $75 on sale bibs leave me with no complaints, I have to wonder W.T.F. $460 bibs can do for me...

But I don't know what I don't know.

Cicli
03-04-2016, 07:51 PM
He's bonerless

Its hard to look tough and ride a bike with a boner.

kitsnob
03-04-2016, 08:04 PM
ASSOS "new" S7 line is better than their S5 line.
I have both the Equipe S7, The S7 Tibiru (which is basically an Equipe with windproof front and thicker material that is lightly fleece backed) and an older pair of S5 F2 13.
Hands down, the new generation is better, not to mention, cut lower in the front to make "taking a nature break" MUCH easier.
The comparison to my Miles Q36.5 bibs is very, very close!
What I really like about the S7 is the lack of stitching at the inside of the thighs . this is ASSOS proprietary Golden Gate patented system.
Did I pay retail?
HELL NO ... I did buy somewhat local if you count Competitve Cyclist local and it was with something else I bought that I was able to use their discount which usually does NOT apply to ASSOS.
Want REAL CHEAP $ on ASSOS ... Try all4cycling
http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/index.php
The top of the line Championisimo is $323.00

http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/bib-shorts-assos-tcampionissimos7-black-pm-57956.html

Hands down worth the $ (but NOT at retail!)

ripvanrando
03-04-2016, 08:38 PM
The chamois on the S7 Centos (not sure about the other S7 models) floats.

This means the friction when you pedal is more dispersed between the underside of the chamois and the short rather than the top chamois and the rider's tender bits. Its brilliant even if i can't explain it..

I wore a pair of these S7 on a nonstop 760 mile ride (PBP) and although some credit goes to lantisipetic and the leather saddle, these shorts are more comfortable than the S5 versions to me. Not even close....new game....truly

The straps are much more comfortable on the S7. My nipples get sore wearing S5 shorts on longer Brevets.

I buy them from England....stupid expensive still....maybe $225

pdmtong
03-04-2016, 09:15 PM
The chamois on the S7 Centos (not sure about the other S7 models) floats. This means the friction when you pedal is more dispersed between the underside of the chamois and the short rather than the top chamois and the rider's tender bits. Its brilliant even if i can't explain it.

Think of it as MIPS for your other head.

Uh, did I just type that?

happycampyer
03-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Where have you been? These came out in the fall of 2013. The price seemed to drop since then:

$519 bib shorts, anyone? . . . (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136067)

HenryA
03-04-2016, 09:38 PM
I thought this was a joke, but then I looked at the link and searched for "kuku Penthouse" and there it is. I'm not sure if that or the price is the more outrageous.

Russian bear
03-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Those bibs are kind of like a one off concept car you see at an auto show. Assos threw every technology they had without taking $$ into account. They probably sell very few, but they are not the bread and butter of the line up. As an Assos fan, I'd like to try a pair someday, but I'm happy with my S5 Unos. If anything i will buy a pair of S7 Equipes next.

pdmtong
03-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Those bibs are kind of like a one off concept car you see at an auto show. Assos threw every technology they had without taking $$ into account. They probably sell very few, but they are not the bread and butter of the line up. As an Assos fan, I'd like to try a pair someday, but I'm happy with my S5 Unos. If anything i will buy a pair of S7 Equipes next.
I have it from a reputable source that the equipes deliver the greates bang for buck of the four choices - think of it as chorus for bibs.

ripvanrando
03-05-2016, 05:14 AM
I thought this was a joke, but then I looked at the link and searched for "kuku Penthouse" and there it is. I'm not sure if that or the price is the more outrageous.

I don't seem to benefit from the KuKu penthouse but my hands are not Trump-like.

The Cento has the Kuku chamois while the Equipe and "entry level" Neo Pro do not.

The material is a bit different between the Equipe and Cento but the big difference is the cut. The Cento is more like the old S5 Mille that I love whereas the Equipe is cut more like the F1.13. I like them both but when doing long bevets or long hot rides, I swell a little and the slightly extra cut of the Mille is appreciated but when I first put them on they feel a little loose. The Centos do not have that same bagginess on me but remain comfortable as the distances ridden increase. I don't think Assos brands the T.Centos as the endurance/long distance short but that is what it is to me.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2016, 05:40 AM
http://labiciclettaproshop.com/images/library/large/assos_f13_bib_whit_11_m.jpg

this dude says they're totally worth it

somebody had to be fair and balanced with Assos ads.