PDA

View Full Version : Powertap P1 questions

SoCalSteve
03-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

Anyone here using the Powertap power pedal system? If so, did you come from using a Shimano SPD-SL pedal? Did you notice a different in the feel between the 2 pedals? Ease to engage and/or disengage? Anything else?

I'm thinking about getting a set, but am concerned that because I have been using the Shimano pedal system for soooo many years, that there will be some change in the feel and engagement...( whether good or bad ).

Thoughts?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

PS: I am not a racer ( nor do I play one on TV ). More interested in the leg strength discrepancies between my leg that had the knee replacement and the other ( whole ) leg.

stien
03-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Seems to me that Shimano is the standard to which other pedals are held. I'm waiting until my current looks crack (it happens frequently) and I'm moving over.

And if you're just curious, maybe rent some time or borrow a buddy's setup? Unless you want to train with power, you'll see the imbalance, say "neat!" and then move on.

dzxc
03-04-2016, 02:08 PM
I use them and consider them to be the best power meter on the market. I originally used Shimano, then Look, then used Speedplays for years. Getting back to Look-style is difficult after using Speedplays for so long. I don't think they're difficult to get in or out of though, very comfortable. Though I feel like the amount of rotation required to disengage was more than my Shimanos. But maybe I'm imagining things.

SoCalSteve
03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Seems to me that Shimano is the standard to which other pedals are held. I'm waiting until my current looks crack (it happens frequently) and I'm moving over.

And if you're just curious, maybe rent some time or borrow a buddy's setup? Unless you want to train with power, you'll see the imbalance, say "neat!" and then move on.

I guess we all have a different definition of " training ". By using the power meter and seeing the imbalance, then I can work ( train ) on correcting the imbalance. And, keep using it until the imbalance is corrected.