PDA

View Full Version : Splain me somethin Ricky. 2Way wheels

Cicli
03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
So,
What is the difference between two way fir wheels and clinchers?
Neither I looked at had holes drilled and required any rim tape. They looked that like you could just put in some stems and the right tires and go.

Can someone explain it? Do I need 2 way wheels to run tubeless?
I know I need the tires but how about the rim?

batman1425
03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
My understanding is that the 2-way fit wheels have a different hook/channel profile to accommodate mounting and proper bead engagement for tubeless tires. Conventional rims don't.

Though they may not have spoke holes drilled in the rim wall, that doesn't necessarily mean they are tubeless compatible.

For road applications (high pressure) tubeless specific rims are pretty much mandatory less you face catastrophic blow offs. If for cross - you may be able to get away with it, depending on the specific tire and rim valley depth.

Cicli
03-04-2016, 11:25 AM
My understanding is that the 2-way fit wheels have a different hook/channel profile to accommodate mounting and proper bead engagement for tubeless tires. Conventional rims don't.

Though they may not have spoke holes drilled in the rim wall, that doesn't necessarily mean they are tubeless compatible.

For road applications (high pressure) tubeless specific rims are pretty much mandatory less you face catastrophic blow offs. If for cross - you may be able to get away with it, depending on the specific tire and rim valley depth.

I thought that the tire would blow off on account of the tire bead being wrong more than the rim.

batman1425
03-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I thought that the tire would blow off on account of the tire bead being wrong more than the rim.

Takes 2 to tango. The bead are typically made of heavier duty material that doesn't stretch as much under pressure and are made to tighter tolerances. Conversely, tubeless rims are also made to tighter tolerances and the profile/wall is adjusted to allow for mounting and securing the bead.

Stans sells kits for converting standard road rims to tubeless with the caveat that you use a tubeless specific tire. But to me, it isn't worth the risk at road pressures. That's a lot of force pushing on a non-optimized interface. YVMV.

Red Tornado
03-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I have Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels that are "2-way fit". Been running tires with tubes for a few years, but plan is to go tubeless when these tires wear out.
I believe there is something different where the tire hooks into the rim. When I air them up, there is a notable snapping/popping sound as the bead locks into the rim. The bead is also very firmly locked into the rim, much more so than standard rims, when removing the tire. It's not difficult, just takes more effort.
The sides & valley of the rims are also completely sealed off (no holes drilled for spokes/nipples) and the wheels came with a valve "insert" to use with tubeless.

FlashUNC
03-04-2016, 12:03 PM
When I bought my Shamal Milles, I was told explicitly by the shop that unless I was running tubeless, just to get the clincher version, for the reasons mentioned above.

They are different. And running clinchers on 2ways doesn't mean you can run tubeless on the clinchers. Last thing you want is to burp a tire headed around a corner.