PDA

View Full Version : wheelsmith spokes

AngryScientist
03-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Finally got around to starting a wheel build last night. I've been using sapim spokes in the past, but went with wheelsmith this time. IMO, much nicer finish on the silver spokes, much brighter than sapim. I'm using DB14 spokes, which, also IMO, have a nicer, more elegant butting than the sapim spokes.

the DB14 is also 2/1.7/2mm vs the sapim race at 2/1.8/2.

i'm a convert.

Grant McLean
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I've been a fan since the mid 80s, probably have built 50 pairs of wheels
for myself with those spokes over the years, Wheelsmith is the only brand i use on my own bikes.

-g

ergott
03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't know what is different in the metallurgy, but they are different.

I have to do more stress relieving to them than Sapim or DT. The finish is definitely better.

I like them!

dsillito
03-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Interesting. I'm also in the middle of measuring up some components (and finding online numbers) for some wheel builds, and am considering what spokes to go with. I'm literally typing with hubs and vernier caliper sitting on the desk in front of me.

I'll take that into consideration, especially since the hubs I have are ridiculously shiny White Industry MI6. Might as well go all the way and try to blind people in the sunlight.

I'll also be soliciting some wheel building advice, as soon as I can formulate my question in a non-confusing way. Scientist style. :D

ergott
03-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Another thing. You can tell a Wheelsmith spoke from DT/Sapim with a magnet. Wheelsmith spokes won't be attracted to my magnet when I'm collecting the cut bits from the spoke machine.

bikinchris
03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
I do not hesitate to use Wheelsmith spokes. Probably the finest made today. DT seems slightly lower in quality, but not by much. I don't like DT's long bend below the head as much. I'm not a big fan of Sapim spokes. They seem much more brittle. I keep a stock of DT and Wheelsmith spokes in my most commonly used sizes.

AngryScientist
03-03-2016, 12:30 PM
still waiting on all the parts for the rear wheel, but hopefully i'll have the front finished up tonight. this is a silver-silver-silver build, and the wheelsmith spokes are the best i've handled, for sure.

Cameron
03-03-2016, 01:33 PM
They're also made in the USA which I appreciate. Figure most of you guys know that already, but if not :beer:

oldpotatoe
03-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Finally got around to starting a wheel build last night. I've been using sapim spokes in the past, but went with wheelsmith this time. IMO, much nicer finish on the silver spokes, much brighter than sapim. I'm using DB14 spokes, which, also IMO, have a nicer, more elegant butting than the sapim spokes.

i'm a convert.

WS double butts you mention worked great but I've seen too many WS thin center section spokes give up their integrity, in that tightening nipple moves rim opposite direction, center section 'gives up'. Seen that 5-6 times. I like DT but use Sapim now. Tighter fit on small spoke hole hubs like DA and Record plus I like their 'mechanical' secure lock nips more than the 'chemical' ones.

Plus better $ and I can one-sey, 2-sey numbers in 1mm increments so Sapim for me. 'Brittle', not sure what that means. Started using Sapim 2years ago(about 125 or so wheels), DT for 30 years before that.

ryker
03-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Sapim also has the D-Light, 2.0/1.65/2.0.

PacNW2Ford
03-03-2016, 05:16 PM
They're also made in the USA which I appreciate. Figure most of you guys know that already, but if not :beer:

Note that DT Swiss also has a USA spoke manufacturing plant.

Andy_K
03-03-2016, 07:50 PM
I used to always use DT Swiss spokes. Then I read where Peter White said he switched to Wheelsmith (though I can't seem to find his explanation) and so I decided to switch for my next wheel build since the price is about the same.

Frankly, I haven't had any problems with either one. I'm just a hobby builder and have only built about 10 sets of wheels (three pairs with Wheelsmith, I think). The only spokes I've broken were ones that I cut with a chain that jumped off the inside cog of my cassette.

I buy my spokes from Universal Cycles and while they carry both DT Swiss and Wheelsmith their local stock (at the Portland store) seems to be mostly DT Swiss, so I may go back.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
I used to always use DT Swiss spokes. Then I read where Peter White said he switched to Wheelsmith (though I can't seem to find his explanation) and so I decided to switch for my next wheel build since the price is about the same.

Frankly, I haven't had any problems with either one. I'm just a hobby builder and have only built about 10 sets of wheels (three pairs with Wheelsmith, I think). The only spokes I've broken were ones that I cut with a chain that jumped off the inside cog of my cassette.

I buy my spokes from Universal Cycles and while they carry both DT Swiss and Wheelsmith their local stock (at the Portland store) seems to be mostly DT Swiss, so I may go back.

Peter got all twisted because DT made the bend on j bend spokes, longer..He whined about how it was a death nell for wheelbuilding made him so angry, he would never, ever, ever use DT again...I used them pre and post new design and it really didn't make any different. DT has since gone back to a shorter bend. Not sure when but I didn't see any differences on wheel builds.

If interested he also has a tirade on his web site about last gen Centaur, cart bearing hubs..I called him about that once just to discuss it, got yelled at on the phone, interesting...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.php

I think he has too much time on his hands.