PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Request: True Temper S3

ANAO
03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Can anybody offer some comparative feedback on S3 tubing vs. a standard Columbus Spirit or Platinum OX tubeset?

What are the practical differences in ride quality?

Thanks.

EricEstlund
03-03-2016, 08:56 AM
All three are great tubes. Assuming the same dimensions, there won't be a difference in ride quality. In reality, one can't assume the same dimensions (exactly) because the tubes are drawn to different wall thicknesses. OX Plat and S3 are the same alloy, but drawn to different thickness and butt profiles.

All are very good, and offer an in- set range. All will build a great bike assuming they are appropriate for your use. More than the material it's much more important to choose a builder or firm that knows what they are doing and trust them to pick the specific balance of tubes for the bike and the ride as designed.

scho74
03-03-2016, 11:41 AM
i had a gunnar roadie that was a blend of true temper ox and something else, and i'm currently riding a stoemper taylor that's s3. they feel different but only because they're built up completely different. my stoemper is a little lighter and feels stiffer, but honestly, if they both had the same components i wouldn't know the difference at all.

don'TreadOnMe
03-03-2016, 12:27 PM
I had an S3 road bike a few years ago that was really great *except for the top tube. It was ovalized vertically, and too whippy side-to-side. High speed descents and cornering were less fun b/c of it.

I had another frame built w/same geometry and PlatOX, and while it was a lot more stable along the front triangle, it didn't *feel as nice.

If I had one more chance w/that one, I'd get all S3 tubes, 'cept for that toptube.

Duende
03-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I had an S3 road bike a few years ago that was really great *except for the top tube. It was ovalized vertically, and too whippy side-to-side. High speed descents and cornering were less fun b/c of it.

I had another frame built w/same geometry and PlatOX, and while it was a lot more stable along the front triangle, it didn't *feel as nice.

If I had one more chance w/that one, I'd get all S3 tubes, 'cept for that toptube.

Interesting observation. I have an s3 bike and am feeling some flex on descents that is out of my comfort zone too. I was thinking it was the head (standard not 44) tube or the carbon fork though...

eBAUMANN
03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
One thing that is pretty important to consider here is what kind of frame we are talking about.

S3 can be a little harsh for CX/gravel bikes...or really any bike that is gonna see miles on some rough ground.
It helps to have some body-mass to help smooth things out.
I know some folks in the 140-150lb range on S3 cx bikes who regularly comment on how much the bike can beat them up over the course of a 45min cx race.
Just what I heard.
I have a couple frames with S3 tubes in the main triangle that feel fine to me, i weigh 175 so i like to think im just heavy enough to subdue whatever jackhammery tendencies the frame might have otherwise.

OX platinum is a nice tubeset but definitely a bit of a weight penalty compared to spirit or S3.
Youll see it used for mtb and touring frames for this reason. Just a little more robust, not exactly "race spec" for road or cx use IMO, unless we are dealing with riders who either ride heavy or ARE heavy.

Spirit is a great option for any road or CX frame, #ATRichardSachsO...which I also agree with.

ANAO
03-03-2016, 01:42 PM
One thing that is pretty important to consider here is what kind of frame we are talking about.

S3 can be a little harsh for CX/gravel bikes...or really any bike that is gonna see miles on some rough ground.
I know some folks in the 140-150lb range on S3 cx bikes who regularly comment on how much the bike can beat them up over the course of a 45min cx race.
Just what I heard.
I have a couple frames with S3 tubes in the main triangle that feel fine to me, i weigh 175 so i like to think im just heavy enough to subdue whatever jackhammery tendencies the frame might have otherwise.

OX platinum is a nice tubeset but definitely a bit of a weight penalty compared to spirit or S3.
Youll see it used for mtb and touring frames for this reason. Just a little more robust, not exactly "race spec" for road or cx use IMO, unless we are dealing with riders who either ride heavy or ARE heavy.

Spirit is a great option for any road or CX frame, #ATRichardSachsO...which I also agree with.

Crit race bike.

The above comments re: descending/cornering ability are a bit disconcerting. Let's hash those out, please.

dave thompson
03-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Crit race bike.

The above comments re: descending/cornering ability are a bit disconcerting.Let's hash those out, please.
That has to do almost entirely with the design/geometries of said frame, not the material it's made of.

eBAUMANN
03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
That has to do almost entirely with the design/geometries of said frame, not the material it's made of.

Id tend to agree with this. I doubt its material issue.

For crit race bike I would go 31.8 TT and ST with a tapered heatube and a big ol honkin DT.
Beefy "Life-style" chainstays and 14/16mm seat stays.

jimcav
03-03-2016, 04:18 PM
both were all s3 I think, also had a Kelly s3. Kelly rode harsher, very short stays and super sloping TT--not bad, but harsher. the R3 were awesome, climbed well, no issue in descents. I weighed 175 so over 180 with gear at the time. I bought both used and the 1st was admittedly a little big but I was sold on the ride so sold it and got one my size. R3 was the bike that got me on the path back to steel bikes and out of carbon. I just wanted something even more boutique and stiffer to race so sold mine to try a marcelo, then wanted one I never had to worry about so got stainless.
I can't think of a single bad about S3 from my riding. some said the walls were thin and it dented easily, but that was not my experience

Mark McM
03-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Interesting observation. I have an s3 bike and am feeling some flex on descents that is out of my comfort zone too. I was thinking it was the head (standard not 44) tube or the carbon fork though...

Just what I heard..

True Temper is flexy! No, its harsh!

I have a True Temper S3 frame. In my experience, it is torsionally a little flexier than most of my other frame (Ritchey Logic steel, Nobilette SLX steel, Redline Conquest aluminum), but not nearly as flexy as my Litespeed Ghisallo. This is hardly surprising, as the stiffer frames are heavier than the True Temper S3 frame, and the flexier frame is much lighter than the S3. However, the True Temper S3 frame isn't too flexy to handle well at speed or on descents, I just notice it a little more. (The Litespeed Ghisallo, however, can be a handful on a gusty descent). I've raced criteriums and done 50+ mph descents on the S3 without a problem.

As far as frame harshness: I know that frames are very stiff vertically, and that other components (tires, saddles, handlebars, stems) have more vertical compliance, so I don't expect that frames make a big difference in ride harshness. Consequently, I don't really feel much difference in vertical compliance between all my frames. In fact, my bike with the torsionally stiffest frame (the Redline Conquest with fat aluminum tubes) actually has the most vertical compliance - but that's mostly because it also has the fattest, lowest pressure tires (32 mm).

mattsbeers
03-03-2016, 06:03 PM
I had an OX Platinum cross frame and it (with a carbon fork) was lighter than many aluminum bikes....but at 175lbs it was FLEXY.

CNY rider
03-03-2016, 06:50 PM
I had an OX Platinum cross frame and it (with a carbon fork) was lighter than many aluminum bikes....but at 175lbs it was FLEXY.

Interesting comparo......I weigh 150, have a Hampsten road bike from OX Plat and it rides like a dream.

Duende
03-03-2016, 11:53 PM
both were all s3 I think, also had a Kelly s3. Kelly rode harsher, very short stays and super sloping TT--not bad, but harsher. the R3 were awesome, climbed well, no issue in descents. I weighed 175 so over 180 with gear at the time. I bought both used and the 1st was admittedly a little big but I was sold on the ride so sold it and got one my size. R3 was the bike that got me on the path back to steel bikes and out of carbon. I just wanted something even more boutique and stiffer to race so sold mine to try a marcelo, then wanted one I never had to worry about so got stainless.
I can't think of a single bad about S3 from my riding. some said the walls were thin and it dented easily, but that was not my experience

I'm on a Waterford SR33, but have been curious about a Marcelo for ages now. Any comparisons you care to share?

Mark McM
03-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Interesting comparo......I weigh 150, have a Hampsten road bike from OX Plat and it rides like a dream.

OX Platinum tubes are available in different diameters and wall thicknesses, which will both affect stiffness. So we don't have enough information to draw any conclusions from these two anecdotes.