PDA

View Full Version : Integrated HS Question...

Dr Luxurious
03-02-2016, 04:55 PM
WHEREAS:
I have a Cane Creek integrated HS on my Look 585.
The top HS race (if you can still call it that) is super tall, like 3CM or so.
It has 3 uber thin washers/spacers between the bearing and the race.

NOW THEREFORE:
I want to get a shorter one so I can drop the stem.

WITNESSETH:
I have an FSA that's shorter but it tightens against the top of the head tube - even with the spacers in place.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL?
I figured top races would be interchangeable if the corresponding bearing size and angles are the same. Guess not??
Should I just add more of those spacers and run the FSA? Seems a little cobby...
If I order a shorter top race from CC will it necessarily work?

ultraman6970
03-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Grab the shorter FSA top you have in the other bike and see if it fits. No other way to do that because not all the tops are the same.

bicycletricycle
03-02-2016, 06:45 PM
That big cone shaped thing is just a big dust seal, a few extra spacers under it to space it up some is fine.

Technically you could leave it off and just run spacer right on top of the conical split race that engages the bearing, the thing those this pacers are currently on top off.

WHEREAS:
I have a Cane Creek integrated HS on my Look 585.
The top HS race (if you can still call it that) is super tall, like 3CM or so.
It has 3 uber thin washers/spacers between the bearing and the race.

NOW THEREFORE:
I want to get a shorter one so I can drop the stem.

WITNESSETH:
I have an FSA that's shorter but it tightens against the top of the head tube - even with the spacers in place.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL?
I figured top races would be interchangeable if the corresponding bearing size and angles are the same. Guess not??
Should I just add more of those spacers and run the FSA? Seems a little cobby...
If I order a shorter top race from CC will it necessarily work?

Dr Luxurious
03-03-2016, 08:43 AM
That big cone shaped thing is just a big dust seal, a few extra spacers under it to space it up some is fine.

Technically you could leave it off and just run spacer right on top of the conical split race that engages the bearing,

Ah, OK. Cool.
It seems weird then, that the FSA cover hits the frame. If they just ride on the split race then you'd think any 1-1/8 cover would work. (Yeah, right) .
I never thought that the French / Italian / Swiss / English / JIS fitment issues we had back in the day would actually seem sane...

nicrump
03-03-2016, 08:55 AM
the issue is the top cap and split race from one vendor to the next are not necessarily cross compatible. you need all from one vendor. the IS spec only calls out the space within the frame, not what attaches to it. you can get all parts you need from CC to work with what you have.

trust me.

bicycletricycle
03-03-2016, 09:01 AM
That's what those thin shims r for

nicrump
03-03-2016, 09:08 AM
not on my watch. not on CC.