PDA

View Full Version : New legend rear cable stop slit placement is driving me NUTS!

Kurt
03-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Depending on the length of the bib, this issue is really a problem. Almost everytime I am on the up stroke, I catch the inside corner of my shorts – if I am wearing knee warmers, they act as a launch pad to escalate the problem it seems. This has never happened before because I have never had a 3-degree slope and that with my sta makes the difference. Also having painted vs bare frames makes a difference. I even noticed over the weekend that my knees hung on the tt sometimes because of no paint – solution was a small patch of 3M clear film on both sides of the tt (I pedal knee in). I looked at my SO’s legend and the stops are in about the same place as mine, but the cable slits on hers is more toward the floor whereas mine is more towards the side – I think this is the issue because the stop needs to be where it is so the housing flows directly into it without make a turn. I do not want to put duct or black tape on the stop but short of getting new stops tacked on I do not know what to do – I was thinking of somehow wrapping the stop with film or maybe building up the area with clear nail polish – something needs to cover the opening – any ideas?

Oh, I have over 200 miles on the frame and it still as good as I initially thought. Then smoothness and less road feedback does take some getting used to – I purchased the frame for longer 70+ rides so I am a happy camper.

Kurt

**LBS said he could dull the edge if need be, but that I should start with tape - just put 2 small strips on and it solved the issue and really does not look too bad.

jpw
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
File off the cable stop and use a zip tie.

So, the stop is between 8 and 9 o'clock on the tt, right? Seems like just the right place to catch your leg.

Why is it so high on the tube? I don't understand. Doesn't have to be that high normally. 7 o'clock is more the norm, isn't it? Is there something you haven't revealed about your bike? Something unusual?

Kurt
03-31-2004, 03:54 PM
that's all I need on a new bike. Nothing special about the bike, virtual 58 w/a 58.5 tt, 72 sta and a 3-degree slope. Classic flight all the way back on a record post. the stop as you know is off the side of the tt, so they could have done the cut at 6-7 with no issue. This might not be a problem with anyone else, but it pesters the hell out of me. Why the guy put the slit in that place is a mystery – now I have black tape on it. Who knows, maybe I will get used to it and not nick it, but I move back and forth between several bikes so maybe not.

jpw
03-31-2004, 04:05 PM
It must be a little disappointing. To me the whole idea of a bike made by a company like Serotta is that those tiny frame details are taken care of. When i here of such problems i begin to think that Serotta's reputation might not be quite so deserved. My cycling sympathy to you.

Kevan
03-31-2004, 04:06 PM
IS a bit radical. Before we do that how about using clear silicone to fill in the slits. Sorta easy to remove too.

On a serious note: Isn't this a pedaling motion a fitter would be nervous about, you knocking your knees on the TT? Close is good but needing clear tape to protect the pipe seems overboard.

Kurt
03-31-2004, 04:21 PM
that answer sir I believe gives you a gold star, I mean it. Because it is sharp on the edge facing the rear brake, I needed something that was flexible to also cover a bit of the cable housing in addition to the stop. I will shumtz on some silicone and see what it does and how it looks. The issue of hanging on the tt is common, look at Tyler, Armstrong, etc. – they all go in somewhat with their knees towards the tt and straighten out on the down stroke. I even use meats in-between my cleats and soles and I still rub lots of the time. The 3M film just lets me glide over the tt, just as if it were painted, no biggie, the film is only 1x2”’s. The slit issue is a biggie – I mean, this frame is a keeper for a long time, it fits me to a T and now this – I am probably going to take the frame to a local builder, have him fill in the cut and polish it and then re-cut it in the correct (for me) place. Sucks.

PaulE
03-31-2004, 05:09 PM
talk to your LBS and/or Serotta about your issue. From other posts on the forum, it seems to me they have stepped up to correct bigger mistakes, (paint issues, wobble issues, etc.) and they may do the same here. You'd be without your bike for a while, and there's no real off-season in LA, but in the long term, that is what would make you the happiest, and might be the best least cost solution.

Needs Help
04-01-2004, 03:32 AM
If I were to order a Serotta, what should I tell them to avoid that problem? Why don't they have the guides at 6 o'clock?

jpw
04-01-2004, 05:37 AM
It sounds as if Serotta just faced up the guide to the tt in the wrong rotational position and then welded it in place. A simple error, but one i would have thought their building process would have accounted for long ago.. Sloppy Serotta. I would be hopping mad... for a moment, and then irritated every time i ride. It's a small problem, but it interferes with the riding action. That's a fundamental flaw. Have you mentioned it to Serotta?

Too Tall
04-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Go to yer local fabric store and get the heaviest 2 way stretch lycra they have and sew a double strip 2" wide with velcro in the right places....live with it until next winter and send it back to Serotta and have them relocate the stops more under the TT.

Kurt
04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
I have not mentioned it - yet. The LBS and serotta have been nice to me so I do not what to come off as a jerk, but this is a simple fabrication flaw on their part, imo. I looked at numerous frames this morning on my ride and none were in this position, all were at 6 or 7 o’clock. I put some electrical tape bandages over the area last night and it does at least solve the issue, but if the slits were pointed down and the edge smoothed over a bit, it would solve the issue I think. I speculate this is not an issue on a conventional frame but I am just guessing. Dirtdigger was nice enough to send me some snaps of his new frame, same deal. Other than that, the frame is great, I have done over 200m in the week I have owned it, 42m just this morning and it is terrific. The only suggestion I could give anyone is to strongly consider the OS tubing on anything >56 or anyone 180+ - the notion that this frame rides anything like steel is baloney, it is very different. If you want bounce and road feel in your frame, look at the CSi or something else because this thing rides more like carbon but without the dead wood kind of feeling. Jmo as always.

It sounds as if Serotta just faced up the guide to the tt in the wrong rotational position and then welded it in place. A simple error, but one i would have thought their building process would have accounted for long ago.. Sloppy Serotta. I would be hopping mad... for a moment, and then irritated every time i ride. It's a small problem, but it interferes with the riding action. That's a fundamental flaw. Have you mentioned it to Serotta?

Needs Help
04-01-2004, 02:38 PM
The only suggestion I could give anyone is to strongly consider the OS tubing on anything >56 or anyone 180+ - the notion that this frame rides anything like steel is baloney, it is very different.

What size is your bike? Does it have OS tubing? Do you have any pictures posted?

Thanks

jpw
04-01-2004, 02:44 PM
I don't know the exact definition of the term 'jerk', but it wouldn't apply to you if you mentioned the problem to Serotta. They have been good to you, and you have been good (spelt m.o.n.e.y.) in return to them. The point to remember while you are bending over backwards to accommodate this mistake is that neither you nor serotta nor other Serotta customers benefit in the short, medium, or long run if corrective action isn't taken. You will remain less than satisfied, which is bad, Serotta will not be given the opportunity to show that they care about correcting forum aired mistakes, which is bad, and future potential customers will think twice and thrice about placing an order, which is bad. If you stay silent everyone suffers.
Speak up and become a satisfied Serotta customer, or never mention it here again. There is no third way. :D

Kurt
04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
2004 Legend/all OS except seat-stay/F2/full polish/head badge/ti decals on down-tube/Record/AC420

Seat Tube Length: 55.80 cm
Seat Tube Angle: 72.00 deg
Horizontal TT Length: 58.50 cm
TT Downslope Angle: 3.00 deg
Head Tube Angle: 73.50 deg
Chainstay Length: 41.50 cm
Rear Drop: 8.00 cm
Head tube extension 0.30 cm
Spacers 1.00 cm
Standover at middle: 82.32 cm
Rear Wheel clearance (25): 0.51 cm
Bar to top of saddle: 8cm
Ride: Flippin great
Pics: Nope, not yet

What size is your bike? Does it have OS tubing? Do you have any pictures posted?

Thanks

Kurt
04-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I will cut an email to the man, but I really think this is something that would affect very few people. I think the issue results from the narrowness of my posture on the bike and pedal stroke and the slight slope of the tt. That said, I could not imagine that making the cut at 6 o’clock would get anyone’s underwear bunched up. I will let you know.

I don't know the exact definition of the term 'jerk', but it wouldn't apply to you if you mentioned the problem to Serotta. They have been good to you, and you have been good (spelt m.o.n.e.y.) in return to them. The point to remember while you are bending over backwards to accommodate this mistake is that neither you nor serotta nor other Serotta customers benefit in the short, medium, or long run if corrective action isn't taken. You will remain less than satisfied, which is bad, Serotta will not be given the opportunity to show that they care about correcting forum aired mistakes, which is bad, and future potential customers will think twice and thrice about placing an order, which is bad. If you stay silent everyone suffers.
Speak up and become a satisfied Serotta customer, or never mention it here again. There is no third way. :D

jpw
04-01-2004, 03:07 PM
It's your 'underwear' that's getting bunched up, literally and figuratively. Just look 'em in the whites of their eyes and say it how it is. It's so cathartic. You'll enjoy it, i'm sure. Remember, it's not about getting angry with them. Everyone makes mistakes. Let them correct it for you... their valued customer.