PDA

View Full Version : What to do: fixee or commuter?

Dekonick
06-10-2006, 11:34 AM
I have a dilema -

My wonderful Serotta Colorado CR (My first REAL bike) is stripped down and in a corner. The frame fits me like a charm - I LOVE that bike. Problem is - I didn't have a groupo to build it up with. I now do.

OK - My problem -

I also have a Surly Crosscheck that I ride as a fixed gear bike. I love the ride - it is comfy, but a tad heavy. I am thinking about building the Colorado as a fixee. Smiley tells me I am nuts and the frame is too good for that - but I really love riding fixed.

Should I just turn the crosscheck into a commuter and move the fixed stuff to the colorado? OR should I build the CR as a commuter?

I am leaning toward the Colorado CR as a fixee - after all I may as well have a frame that fits like a glove when I ride fixed - shouldnt I?

Advice welcome!

Fixed
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
bro your serotta should be geared leave your cross bike fixed is it flipflop?
fixies should be old bikes that nobody wants for a geared bike with old spacing in the rear . i.m.h.o everybody needs 2 good road bikes .
cheers

93legendti
06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a dilema -

My wonderful Serotta Colorado CR (My first REAL bike) is stripped down and in a corner. The frame fits me like a charm - I LOVE that bike. Problem is - I didn't have a groupo to build it up with. I now do.

OK - My problem -

I also have a Surly Crosscheck that I ride as a fixed gear bike. I love the ride - it is comfy, but a tad heavy. I am thinking about building the Colorado as a fixee. Smiley tells me I am nuts and the frame is too good for that - but I really love riding fixed.

Should I just turn the crosscheck into a commuter and move the fixed stuff to the colorado? OR should I build the CR as a commuter?

I am leaning toward the Colorado CR as a fixee - after all I may as well have a frame that fits like a glove when I ride fixed - shouldnt I?

Advice welcome!

I agree with you. Until I sold my Fierte frameset, I rode it a single speed. I tried a Specialized Langster as a ss bike and I hated the way it rode. If you have the frameset, why not enjoy it? If fixed/ss riding is fun it should be 2 x the fun on a quality frame that fits you well.

djg
06-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Too nice? Ya gonna hurt the bike's feelings? Go ahead and fix it if you want. You'll like it a lot better than the surly and it's not doing you any good sitting in the corner without parts on it. And, even though it's a nice frame, it's just not likely to bring much if you sell it.

My CSi wasn't getting ridden enough as a second bike. I did this: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17439

I like it a lot.

Fixed doesn't think it's what a fixie should be. He's entitled to his opinion, but I don't think he's in charge or anything.

Or do something else. It's your ride.

Dekonick
06-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I think I am going to do it - build it up as a fixee. Worst case, I just strip it down and re-build it.

As a side note; the SURLY is a fantastic ride. I don't understand why they get bashed the way they do. IMHO it is a great bike for the cash -

well - I guess I will get started on the conversion. Ill post a pic or 2 when I get it done.. hopefully soon but I doubt it as I have the honey do list from hell............................................. :crap: :crap: :crap:

toaster
06-11-2006, 12:01 AM
bro your serotta should be geared leave your cross bike fixed is it flipflop?
fixies should be old bikes that nobody wants for a geared bike with old spacing in the rear . i.m.h.o everybody needs 2 good road bikes .
cheers

Exactly. I love the retro coolness. You'd never see me bother with an older road bike that had downtube shifting and 5 or 6 gears. Fixed is new life for these great frames and the horizontal drop-outs.

bironi
06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Go with your gut, don't listen to us. You hear what I'm saying?

Fixed
06-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Fixed doesn't think it's what a fixie should be. He's entitled to his opinion, but I don't think he's in charge or anything.

bro you are right i'm just a bike mess

woolly
06-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Decisions, decisions. I've made some similar to yours:

I've got a early-model Surly Crosscheck, and it's been through a variety of configurations - fixed with big Salsa Bell-Lap bars, light touring w/ a compact triple & Shimano STI, Single-speed with moustache bars, flat-bar thumb-shifted, etc. Comfortable, versatile, sturdy, & cheap.

I've also got a Serotta Colorado II w. horizontal dropouts that's been geared (shimano), fixed, and now single-ring, 7-speed down-tube friction shifted w/ Campy-like brake levers. Sweet ride.

I love both of these framesets, and obviously like mixing them up. I'm also lucky enough to also have other dedicated road & fixee bikes, so I can play around with these two. Each time I reconfigure one, it's sort of like getting a new bike, but without having to 'splain it to my wife. :D

Oh yeah, your question - if it were me I'd fix the Serotta (especially if it's your only fixee) and gear/commute the Surly. I'd feel better about inflicting commuter-bike-neglect on the Surly than the Serotta.

FuerteTi04
06-11-2006, 01:11 PM
The idea of a Serotta used as a beater commuter hurts. I'd vote to scrape up some nice classic parts (classic Campy, old Suntour Superbee, etc.)and SLOWLY rebuilt that georgous frame part by part. Use the Surly (nice!) to scoot around to all those bike shops and talk parts. I once had a friend who did this to a 80s-vintage Cinelli frame and OUCH!--hat thing was hot!

Dekonick
06-11-2006, 03:30 PM
The idea of a Serotta used as a beater commuter hurts. I'd vote to scrape up some nice classic parts (classic Campy, old Suntour Superbee, etc.)and SLOWLY rebuilt that georgous frame part by part. Use the Surly (nice!) to scoot around to all those bike shops and talk parts. I once had a friend who did this to a 80s-vintage Cinelli frame and OUCH!--hat thing was hot!

But - what is wrong with making this a fantastic fixee?

I think I am going to make it fixed - it will be the only pink and purple fixed bike I know of...

besides I can always gear it later. I really like riding fixed.

So - for now I am going to fix the Serotta. May as well really enjoy the feel of steel :)

Gotta love the early 90's horizontal dropouts!

Fixed - I can see your point, but for you a fixee is a work bike. For me its pleasure. Now If I can just get better at track stands...

Dekonick
06-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Think I used 'fixed' enough in that last post? A writer I am not...

djg
06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
bro you are right i'm just a bike mess

bro, not that there's anything wrong with that ...

It's just that the fashion tyrant position on this board belongs to some guy up north, d'accord?

shoe
06-11-2006, 09:48 PM
i think in the first post you already answered your question....if the shoe fits wear it right....my serotta is up next for a single speed conversion. better than collecting dust and will ride better than the motobecane which is ss now...good luck and when they scoff at you just remember that they can't always see the smile that is inside....dave

shoe
06-11-2006, 09:53 PM
ya know what if the frame is really that nice ---fit the biggest tires possible on it buy the crappiest parts imaginable and try to ride as much off road as possible...explore and expand the options of where a serotta road bike can go. when you pass someone on a full suspension bike it is worth it for that experience alone. learn to catch some nice air and really show them what a *****in serotta is all about...can we use *****in in here?...dave

shoe
06-11-2006, 09:56 PM
pps- somebody give fixed a hug..cause man we are all a mess in our own special way.......d

obtuse
06-11-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah, fixed gears should be really cheap and crappy and have soul.....like this one for example. not that i don't like a bike you can hang a six-pack of pbr talls over the top tube on but....

gold medals and world championships are sometimes a fine substitue for soul imho.

obtuse

Fixed
06-12-2006, 07:43 AM
bro that would look cool chained to a street sign . I'd take it I'd figure a way to lock it up .
cheers

obtuse
06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
bro that would look cool chained to a street sign . I'd take it I'd figure a way to lock it up .
cheers

yeah i think you'd need to chain a big dog to it!

obtuse

Russell
06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
If you love riding fixed, then go with the Serotta. Use the best bike for what you love the most.