PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Shimano group

roadie7
03-02-2016, 06:01 AM
My Campy set up is becoming extinct and I need to change the drive train. For cost purposes and I've used Shimano in the past, I'm going to switch to Shimano either Ultegra or 105. I checked out prices in Ribble and Wiggle and was wondering if there are other places I should review.

Thanks

mistermo
03-02-2016, 06:05 AM
My Campy set up is becoming extinct and I need to change the drive train. For cost purposes and I've used Shimano in the past, I'm going to switch to Shimano either Ultegra or 105. I checked out prices in Ribble and Wiggle and was wondering if there are other places I should review.

Thanks

With ebay around, there's no such thing as an extinct Campy groupset. At least that's what I've found.

Formulasaab
03-02-2016, 06:06 AM
Paceline classifieds and your local bike shop.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Thanks

What is 'extinct' about your Campagnolo stuff? Ders, chains, cogsets, readily available, rebuildable levers...Just asking.

Remember UK MO shimano stuff is 11s, and that cogset won't fit onto a shimano 10s wheel.

tumbler
03-02-2016, 08:22 AM
I purchased 2 groupsets from Ribble, which happen to the be 2 you are considering, and both arrived quickly and in excellent condition. They had the best price both times I was in the market. The Ultegra was mostly packaged in OEM baggies, but the 105 set came in the normal retail packaging. Not that I really care, just pointing that out in case you really like Shimano boxes.

PaulE
03-02-2016, 08:43 AM
I just bought a Dura Ace group from Ribble. A few pieces were in retail boxes but most of them were in OEM baggies. Everything was very well packed, it arrived quickly, in perfect condition with the Shimano instructions for each item. The bottom bracket even came with the plastic adapter to fit the older style bottom bracket wrench. And Ribble sent it using a method ultimately delivered by US Postal, no duty issues.

The only issue I've seen is that their prices are so good they don't always have the cassette, crank and bottom bracket options you may want. To make sure I got the cassette and crankset I wanted, I ordered it with the SRAM 1190 chain "upgrade" because they had no Dura Ace chains, and an English bottom bracket, even though I needed an Italian bottom bracket which they were also out of. I got the Dura Ace chain and English bottom bracket from Wiggle, sold the SRAM chain and will eventually use the English bottom bracket on another bike. Even buying the extra chain and bottom bracket this was still the cheapest option I could find.

Birddog
03-02-2016, 08:52 AM
I've dealt with these people and they are top notch. A little more than Ribble but all parts in boxes and fast shipping.
http://www.eurobikeparts.com/

FlashUNC
03-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Google Maps for your LBS.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2016, 09:09 AM
I've dealt with these people and they are top notch. A little more than Ribble but all parts in boxes and fast shipping.
http://www.eurobikeparts.com/

Wonder which US distributor owns them??

Dustin
03-02-2016, 09:11 AM
fwiw, I just bought an XTR group for a new MTB build and Shimano has significantly reduced their US prices recently. It may still be cheaper overseas, but I was surprised to find that the sale prices of some US Internet places were essentially the same. In the end, I got them through my lbs. I paid a bit more, and their margins were a bit less, but it was a win-win as far as I am concerned.

Mzilliox
03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
so wait, you have Campy and are aware of it existing, but you are getting Shimano?;) Ebay man...:crap:

or wherever you find the best price on your shimano.

christian
03-02-2016, 09:38 AM
I bought a 1x11 XT group with brakes on ebay from some OEM backdoor out of Taiwan. Came in baggies, but otherwise in perfect shape. And it was like $9. Or something like that ($599).

Makes me consider swapping my 1x11 SRAM on my Reign for 1x11 Shimano. Anyone want some XX1/X1/Guide parts?

bobswire
03-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Google Maps for your LBS.

I'm sure the OP had already considered that. Maybe you have the coin to pay for the pleasure of paying a higher premium,having to wait a week or two longer to receive the parts or are not a DIY'er and need the services of your LBS but that is not what the OP asked. He seems to be wanting to save a buck or two.

LegendRider
03-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Merlin Cycles
https://www.merlincycles.com/

FlashUNC
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm sure the OP had already considered that. Maybe you have the coin to pay for the pleasure of paying a higher premium,having to wait a week or two longer to receive the parts or are not a DIY'er and need the services of your LBS but that is not what the OP asked. He seems to be wanting to save a buck or two.

Even if I'm hanging the parts on my own work stand, I'd rather spend a couple extra dollars at the local shop. Helps in the long run if I do run into a problem where I need some help, and, yanno, keeps your neighbor in business.

Virtuous economic cycle and all that. 105 even from a shop ain't that pricey.

bobswire
03-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Even if I'm hanging the parts on my own work stand, I'd rather spend a couple extra dollars at the local shop. Helps in the long run if I do run into a problem where I need some help, and, yanno, keeps your neighbor in business.

Virtuous economic cycle and all that. 105 even from a shop ain't that pricey.

To each his own and more power to you if you can afford it. I know I can't and at 70 I'm really enjoying my retirement and doubt I'd go back to work in order to pay more for a product I can get and install cheaper myself ( and just as well if not better than my LBS). I believe in charity but no one hired me ( I was a carpenter) to do something for them that they couldn't do better themselves,yanno.

559Rando
03-02-2016, 10:49 AM
I've found eBay can come pretty danged close to UK pricing on new groups. Or if you're patient, you can piecemeal and potentially come out even cheaper.

AngryScientist
03-02-2016, 10:50 AM
If you're interested in buying from the US, even if it's not necessarily on their site, it can help to call velomine directly and see what they can do for you.

FlashUNC
03-02-2016, 10:51 AM
To each his own and more power to you if you can afford it. I know I can't and at 70 I'm really enjoying my retirement and doubt I'd go back to work in order to pay more for a product I can get and install cheaper myself ( and just as well if not better than my LBS). I believe in charity but no one hired me ( I was a carpenter) to do something for them that they couldn't do better themselves,yanno.

Sigh...my point isn't charity or even getting the LBS to install it if you can do it yourself. Shimano just slashed prices across their distro network to try to better enable shops to match this grey market pricing.

The reality is 105 from the shop -- even if you're not getting them to lift a finger in the service bay -- isn't that much more expensive.

But I do know that if I ever have a problem, the LBS is much more willing to help and lend me a hand when I, yanno, supported them in the past rather than chasing the absolute rock bottom price via the internet. I doubt Eurobikeparts is going to give too much of a crap if/when you run into a problem.

It ain't about being rich, its about a virtuous economic cycle. I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars -- not double, not triple, but a couple -- up front knowing that supports a local business to keep the lights on that I may need help from down the road.

I'm all for the home mechanic, but it ain't a cure all.

PaulE
03-02-2016, 11:16 AM
I bought my Dura Ace group and wheels right before the Shimano announcement. I bought the new frame from a shop and they were fine with me buying the group, wheels and rest of the build elsewhere. Before the Shimano announcement, the price differential on these parts was over $1,100, before sales tax. I can do the work myself, am willing to take the warranty issues that may arise and am happy to pay an expert for any service I might not be able to handle myself.

It's good that Shimano is lowering US prices, but as long as Trek, Giant and Specialized can buy twice as many groups as they need to build the bikes they're going to build, and back door the excess to the UK websites, the problem will continue to exist.

And we consumers can support our LBS' until we're blue in the face, but it should be Trek, Specialized and Giant who should be supporting their LBS network. Consider all the terms and conditions these big companies put on the LBS' to maintain their dealership status, at the same time they are dealing with the UK websites. And now the big bike companies are introducing their direct to consumer websites but want the LBS' to still do the work for them.