PDA

View Full Version : Cable routing etiquette...ergo Brutus....

Tickdoc
03-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Is there a right way? A proper way to route cables ( ergo, on the bars)
Is it just personal preference?
I see both sets underneath, I see both sets out front, I see one in front and one in back. ( my personal fav)

Then there is the order.....brake out front, shift in back....who goes first left or right? Alternating?

What about internal holes on older bars?

Just curious what the rational and preference is for the various cable positioning used. I've got four ergo sets in the house, none of which I have routed, and no two are the same.

There is a way to do it that is pleasing to the eye when done right, and I'd like to know what that is before amateur hour approaches.

Bonus points for demonstration pics.

FlashUNC
03-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Two cables out front on a 26.0 bar. I normally route one in front and one behind. Thought it would be an issue but Chad at AC assured me I was wrong. He was right. Works great.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1451/25309313822_2332b924f1_b.jpg

thirdgenbird
03-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I put both in front on my 26mm bars too. I quite liked it.

rwsaunders
03-01-2016, 09:49 PM
My Campag guru has one cable front/back on the Nitto Noodles and both cables front on the Zero 100's. Here's what I see when I'm riding.

Dead Man
03-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Depends entirely on the bar. I do both underneath on my Zero100s, because theres a (albeit single) cable channel under there and its an oval shaped bar. But my last set.... Ec90 i think? Was round - so i did one in front and one in back, to make it ovalish. Worked good

But the most important thing about cable-routing - cross the cables. Whatever you do- left to rightside and right to leftside.

Be pro. Cross your cables.

choke
03-01-2016, 10:03 PM
I always went both in front with 8sp but switched to front\back with 10sp and I have found that I prefer it that way. I only use 26mm bars.

R3awak3n
03-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Always 1 front 1 back for me.

Formulasaab
03-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Depends entirely on the bar.

Truth. And also on so much more...

Some folks like more tape (taped farther in towards the stem) and some like less. This can effect how well the cables pass by the stem or around the headtube, depending on the bulk of the components. Quill stems have lovely svelte bar clamps that allow you to tape quite far inboard whereas modern threadless style stems are bulky and often interfere with the cables passing by if taped too closely.

Do you run a bar mounted light or bar computer? Take that into account.

Does your frame have headtube mounted cable stops, downtube mounted cable stops, or use hydraulic hose? That will affect routing.

What brand of shifter (if any shifter) are you using? Some work better with certain routings.

So many variables...

But the most important thing about cable-routing - cross the cables. Whatever you do- left to rightside and right to leftside.

Agreed, and this is one of the reasons why I have such a dislike for many modern frames, especially the big-tubed carbon ones... You can't cross the cables. Its like they WANT you to have poor cable routing. :butt:

Tickdoc
03-02-2016, 06:10 AM
My Campag guru has one cable front/back on the Nitto Noodles and both cables front on the Zero 100's. Here's what I see when I'm riding.

awesome pics. I like the shape of noodle, too.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Is there a right way? A proper way to route cables ( ergo, on the bars)
Is it just personal preference?
I see both sets underneath, I see both sets out front, I see one in front and one in back. ( my personal fav)

Then there is the order.....brake out front, shift in back....who goes first left or right? Alternating?

What about internal holes on older bars?

Just curious what the rational and preference is for the various cable positioning used. I've got four ergo sets in the house, none of which I have routed, and no two are the same.

There is a way to do it that is pleasing to the eye when done right, and I'd like to know what that is before amateur hour approaches.

Bonus points for demonstration pics.

For best performance and least bend..brake in front, of course, ERGO der housing behind, unless the frame/stem, headtube is short.

ultraman6970
03-02-2016, 06:22 AM
One in the front one in the back, depends on the bar tho, but in general lines you want to have smooth bends.

Regarding crossing the cables, my only issue with that is that with some bikes the cables are going to be touching (or way too close) the down tube and you can scratch the paint like that, ive heard that "how pro do it", to me is more like thats how trek and every mechanic around learn to do shimano like that (differentiation?), not that you cant do with campagnolo ergos but the paint man and plusm you are adding some unnoticeable friction because the cables will be touching to each other, crossing cables is questionable too, it doesnt work too well in some bikes.

David Tollefson
03-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Wise words. Heed him.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Depends entirely on the bar. I do both underneath on my Zero100s, because theres a (albeit single) cable channel under there and its an oval shaped bar. But my last set.... Ec90 i think? Was round - so i did one in front and one in back, to make it ovalish. Worked good

Tee hee...I've seen a lot of bikes ridden by 'pros', maintained by 'pro' wrenches and I've never seen one that crossed the cables. I only do that with small frames, short stems, short headtubes, otherwise the stiff housing tends to effect steering.