PDA

View Full Version : If you're on the east coast, the end is nigh! (if you believe these type of people)

MattTuck
03-01-2016, 08:35 AM
these type of people, of course, being meteorologists. And the end being, the end of winter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-01/east-coast-warmth-to-put-a-garden-stake-in-heart-of-u-s-winter

If you live in the eastern U.S., it’s almost time to put that snow shovel away and get out the gardening tools.

After a slight hiccup later this week -- which could bring a little sleet and even a few snowflakes -- the warmth that has dried out the West Coast and drought-stricken California during most of February will shift east.

Temperatures may reach 8 degrees Fahrenheit (4 Celsius) above normal by mid-month from the Midwest to the Atlantic, and even higher across the Great Lakes and parts of Ontario and Quebec, said Commodity Weather Group LLC in Bethesda, Maryland.

“The pattern is going to change,” said Rob Carolan, owner of Hometown Forecast Services Inc. in Nashua, New Hampshire.

AngryScientist
03-01-2016, 08:44 AM
I hope they're right Matt. I'm ready for Spring FEVER!

sandyrs
03-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Glad I'm getting my spring cold (which reared up after riding five hours in the warm weather on Sunday) out of the way now so I can enjoy the warmth when it arrives again!

oddsaabs
03-01-2016, 11:08 AM
3 month forecast from NOAA:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

Discussion of the data here:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/fxus05.html

It does indeed look pretty like an early start for many of us.

paredown
03-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Yay!!

We're getting geared up to get our Habitat house underway--framing starts this week, so that's a great thing to read.

Oh, and hopefully I'll get some riding in.:banana:

guido
03-01-2016, 11:55 AM
I'll buy. Where do I sign up?

OldCrank
03-01-2016, 12:15 PM
60+ degrees this past Sunday- pretty clean roads- took my summer ride out.

Compare to last year when street lanes were JUST wide enough for cars to get through- cyclists would be pothole filler if they ventured out.

SO much better than rollers. More please!

PaulE
03-01-2016, 12:54 PM
You can never hold back Spring! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtSfjGvB3k)

cloudguy
03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
On the flip side, extended range forecasts for CA are showing most of the state getting pummeled with precip in the March 6-12 period, so beware, El-NINO is coming...

45K10
03-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Glad I'm getting my spring cold (which reared up after riding five hours in the warm weather on Sunday) out of the way now so I can enjoy the warmth when it arrives again!

Yeah I have been off the bike for a week with a cold, one of the worst I have had in awhile. I spent Sunday playing with the baby in the yard though, so it wasn't all bad.

Get well soon!

pitonpat
03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
I bought new ice climbing axes this season, so its my fault that winter has been so mild. Only got out once with the new tools and ironically it was a weekend of single digit temperatures in Vermont.

AJosiahK
03-02-2016, 02:57 PM
We're suppose to get another bite of cold within the next few days, and Ive heard precipitation is in the forecast. I haven't looked, usually don't considering talk of the town and meteorologists are usually wrong

Looking forward to the warmer weather.

But honestly, I wished this winter was a bit more snowy. Fat bikes and Skiis went unused for the most part.

YoKev
03-02-2016, 04:21 PM
I took the snow tires off my car on Friday after looking at the long range forecast.

gemship
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
I live in Ma. and not sure how I feel about this strange weather for this time of year. It's nice to not have to shovel lots of snow or endure a long cold snap with highs barely reaching 20 degrees for several days. I guess time will tell as far as long term effects. One thing I know is a drag for any biker is rain. So with the warmth will come rain instead of snow. :rolleyes: