PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Athena 11 non carbon shifter

R3awak3n
02-28-2016, 08:03 PM
I have a black non carbon Athena 11 shifter that has been gutted. It is going to be used for a 1x setup. I also have a silver one for the RD. These all came to me at different times and I need to make the black one silver. The black one is not cabon, it has the carbon look which I started to sand down. It is taking forever and there will be some parts (the back) where I won't be able to hand sand.

Is there any thing I can use? Some chemical, ect? Like oven cleaner for anodized stuff, and carbon has one as well that will peel the stuff.

Thank you :eek: I hope this will look awesome in the end ahha

oldpotatoe
02-29-2016, 06:10 AM
I have a black non carbon Athena 11 shifter that has been gutted. It is going to be used for a 1x setup. I also have a silver one for the RD. These all came to me at different times and I need to make the black one silver. The black one is not cabon, it has the carbon look which I started to sand down. It is taking forever and there will be some parts (the back) where I won't be able to hand sand.

Is there any thing I can use? Some chemical, ect? Like oven cleaner for anodized stuff, and carbon has one as well that will peel the stuff.

Thank you :eek: I hope this will look awesome in the end ahha

Why not buy a silver aluminum brake blade?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Athena-Brake-Blade-Left-2011-2014-/201526601991?hash=item2eebebe907:g:PKIAAOSwzgRWx4r q

thirdgenbird
02-29-2016, 06:37 AM
If the sure fire solution above is out of budget, I would try extra strength oven cleaner or a wire wheel on a dremel. I have only stripped the ano levers but it seems worth a shot. You will likely need to to both to make them match btw.

CampyorBust
02-29-2016, 07:10 AM
I don’t enve your task. I imagine the carbon weave is glued onto the alloy brake lever somehow. Maybe try some super glue remover, nail polish remover or hear gun. If you succeed please report back. I have some Athena 11 UT shifters that I always wanted to be silver.

R3awak3n
02-29-2016, 07:26 AM
That silver lever cost me almost as much as both shifters but I am going to put it on watch

Definitely tell in a budget, tried drummer wirewheel but I think I need one with less grit. Will try oven cleaner @thirdgenbird

@campyorbust: I can see silver thought some parts already but that was a lot of work and no way I can do that in the back. I will get it out though, will report back.