PDA

View Full Version : The perfect tire for D2R2

weisan
02-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Is there such a thing as the "perfect" tire for D2R2?

I know if you are a capable rider, you can ride almost anything but...if given a choice, what would you choose to ride on?

guido
02-28-2016, 06:59 PM
One question controls the choice: How recently has it rained?

eddief
02-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 28mm on my Casseroll over the last month. For pavement, I can't imagine anything that would be more reasonably priced that would ride any better. I think a nearly great tire. On sale in the UK right now since I think the model is being phased out.

eBAUMANN
02-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Is there such a thing as the "perfect" tire for D2R2?

I know if you are a capable rider, you can ride almost anything but...if given a choice, what would you choose to ride on?

Depends on which route you do. If the 160, I would take something with some volume and tread just to be able to rip that awesome class 4 jeep track descent.

Ill probably go clement MSO or panaracer comet hard pack this year, just cause.

dcama5
02-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Never rode D2R2, just read about it. However, I would pick Challenge Paris Roubaix open tubular (clincher). They are listed as 700X27mm but mine are easily 30mm wide - great for this kind of terrain.

AngryScientist
02-28-2016, 07:08 PM
i think panaracer paselas are pretty excellent for this type of thing.

agree that it depends a lot on the conditions, but unless you are chasing speed, which you shouldnt be at D2, bigger volume and tread are hard to go wrong with.

merckx
02-28-2016, 07:12 PM
With all due respect, if you have never done D2 then you are simply shooting from the hip with a tire suggestion. I've used seven different tires for each of my D2 rides. I've done the 180 and recently the 100. Clement MSO 33 is the best of the lot for D2.

dcama5
02-28-2016, 07:16 PM
With all due respect, if you have never done D2 then you are simply shooting from the hip with a tire suggestion. I've used seven different tires for each of my D2 rides. I've done the 180 and recently the 100. Clement MSO 33 is the best of the lot for D2.

Gravel and mud there is gravel and mud everywhere. The Clement MSO 33 may be great but I am sticking with my suggestion of Challenge Paris Roubaix.

merckx
02-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Gravel and mud there is gravel and mud everywhere. I am sticking with my suggestion of Challenge Paris Roubaix.

See you there.

dcama5
02-28-2016, 07:56 PM
See you there.

Too far away from where I live but if I were to go, I would be on Challenge Paris Roubaix. The Clements may be the ticket as well though.

Peter P.
02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Ride ANYTHING with some tread that's at least 27mm wide (The D2R2 creator recommends nothing less than 27mm). Anything narrower and you can't bomb the descents without wearing a skirt. Since I even see LOTS of cyclocross bike riders repairing pinch flats on D2R2, I'm inclined to think even 35mm (typical cyclocross tire max size) is insufficient, or they're pumping their tires up to 'cross racing pressures for D2R2 rather than something higher.

I ride a 38mm hybrid style tire and have the pressure set to my bodyweight and degree of recklessness (40psi.). It's perfect for me.

I definitely don't recommend tubulars: Very few others are riding tubulars on D2R2 and if you're unfortunate enough to have one tubular flat, you'll likely be riding gun shy the rest of the day on a less than solidly glued on spare. Should you be so unfortunate to have two flats, you can almost forget about mooching a spare tire from someone else.

pinkshogun
02-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Pasela 700x37 have always worked for me......tan wall of course

happycampyer
02-28-2016, 08:12 PM
I rode Michelin Jets one year, and felt that they were overkill--not really needed on the dirt/gravel sections except for a few instances, and undesirable on the paved sections. The other years I've ridden Jack Browns twice, Vittoria Randonneurs twice and this last year Compass Babyshoe Pass--all of those tires have very little tread.

I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect tire for the event, but a nice 32mm+ file tread tire will put a smile on your face, as our old pal Pete would say. Even some who regularly admonished folks here that "all you need to ride D2R2 are 25mm tires" are riding 38mm Barlow Pass tires these days. Sure you can ride it with 25mm tires, but why would you?

R3awak3n
02-28-2016, 08:14 PM
I rode compass babyshoe 650b 42mm 2 years ago and they were awesome and perfect for me. This year I am going even fatter, compass again, switchbacks 48mm. These roll just fine on pavement and also on gravel. Best of both worlds. I personally would not do it with anything thinner than 35mm but its definitely doable with any tire.

MatthewL
02-28-2016, 08:47 PM
I rode it on 700x37 Paselas (non-TG). I never felt the tire holding me back.

It's a great ride. Might be the only thing I miss from the East Coast. ;-)

R3awak3n
02-28-2016, 09:20 PM
I was just telling someone today how D2R2 is the best ride in the east coast.

mod6
02-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I was just telling someone today how D2R2 is the best ride in the east coast.

Total agree, great routes and nice folks make it special ride. Kenda Happy Medium Pro Tire 700 x 32c DTC/SCT set up tubeless have treated me real well for the couple of 180k's I have done.

christian
02-29-2016, 07:04 AM
I have used Pasela PT (35mm) and Compass Stampede Pass (32mm) tires as well as smaller stuff. If you want to go fast(er), I would recommend the Stampede Pass, as they are quite a bit quicker on the pavement and lighter and more fun in general. The Paselas are just a stitch more reliable against sharp objects, so if you're riding more relaxed, I would go with those.

I would stay far away from Challenge road tires.

sandyrs
02-29-2016, 07:25 AM
The perfect tire for D2R2 is one that grows side knobs on loose descents but retracts them when you hit the pavement.

I'll probably ride whatever is on my cross bike from summer mixed terrain riding (likely a ~37mm file tread with side knobs), as the ride can be enjoyed on a wide variety of rubber.

dcama5
02-29-2016, 08:17 AM
One question controls the choice: How recently has it rained?

This comment gives the most info about choice (in my opinion) and it's something I wasn't thinking of. If the conditions are dry, dusty hard-packed gravel, I still like the Challenge Paris-Roubaix or the slightly wider Challenge Strada Bianca. Both are clinchers called "open tubulars". However, if it is a mud fest, I agree with the guys calling for Clement MSO.

Keep in mind that I never rode D2R2 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

happycampyer
02-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Rain could be a factor, but the six or seven years that I have ridden it the issue has more often than not been lack of rain, resulting in loose gravel. Many of the dirt roads are just that--dirt roads, so some rain can be beneficial. And a lot of the jeep roads are under tree cover, so it would take a lot of rain to create muddy conditions where knobby tires are a necessity.

Of course, I say this now and this August there will be a week-long tropical storm leading up to and the day of the event. :eek:

P.S. It's only February and we already have a D2R2 tire thread?

Formulasaab
02-29-2016, 09:44 AM
This comment gives the most info about choice (in my opinion) and it's something I wasn't thinking of. If the conditions are dry, dusty hard-packed gravel, I still like the Challenge Paris-Roubaix or the slightly wider Challenge Strada Bianca. Both are clinchers called "open tubulars". However, if it is a mud fest, I agree with the guys calling for Clement MSO.

Keep in mind that I never rode D2R2 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

I'm with the previous poster who said that if you haven't been there... :confused:
So I'm glad you are following up each post with the disclaimer that you haven't been there. :banana:

I for one can think of at least two major climbs on the 160km route that I would be extremely unlikely to be able to ride with the Challenge Paris-Roubaix, purely based on lack of drive-wheel traction at that incline and on that surface. Rear wheel spinout is a real issue. That's in the dry. I don't sign up to walk up.

Last year I ran the Challenge Gravel Grinder and loved them. A friend ran the Challenge Almanzo and cut a sidewall on one of the climbs... He was able to patch it with a dollar bill and complete the ride, but the tire was trash afterwards. Something with a bit more sidewall protection is probably a good idea.

Personally, I love to bomb the downhills. Its just my kind of fun. It is also one of my tactics for keeping pace (partly) with my buds who all climb better than me. I can get a lead going down, maintain speed through the valley, and do my best to use momentum at the bottom of the next climb. If I do that well, they don't have to wait for me much. As a result, I prioritize downhill stability over rolling resistance.

This coming year, I would like to use a tubeless setup. So the Challenge Gravel Grinder tires are out of the running, though I can certainly recommend them in clincher form. I have a set of Panaracer Gravel King SK that are 40mm wide. I may run those. They're quiet and tough and so far, seem quite stable too.

At the moment, I'm less concerned about the tire I choose than the pressure I run. Rolling resistance *is* an issue I consider after all.

sparky33
02-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Last year I ran the Challenge Gravel Grinder and loved them. A friend ran the Challenge Almanzo and cut a sidewall on one of the climbs... He was able to patch it with a dollar bill and complete the ride, but the tire was trash afterwards. Something with a bit more sidewall protection is probably a good idea.

Personally, I love to bomb the downhills. Its just my kind of fun.

Picking the ideal D2R2 tire is like me asking you what I want for breakfast.

but I just can't help myself here: I've used everything from a low-tread 32mm cx tire to a 650bx42 slick. I agree that the Challenge GG 38 is the happy medium for fun. Big enough to shrug off big sticks and stones and with just enough grip for traction up and down loose hills.
This year, I'm going with a similar Schwalbe G-One 700x38 tubeless or maybe an MSO if the tubeless 36 ever comes to be.

christian
02-29-2016, 11:17 AM
27.5 Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph on a Santa Cruz 5010CC. You'll be really fast downhill.

Formulasaab
02-29-2016, 11:20 AM
27.5 Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph on a Santa Cruz 5010CC. You'll be really fast downhill.

On that one Jeep track on the 160k, that would be the hot setup fo sho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stien
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Shucks, I was hoping the Paris Roubaix tire would get the pass. I got some of those and some Strada Biancas to try for D2R2. Anyone like the panaracer gravel king smooth 28?

Ti Designs
02-29-2016, 11:52 AM
I know if you are a capable rider, you can ride almost anything but...

For the most part I can get away with my bad choices on bike/tires/gearing (I often just take the bike closest to the door with air in the tires), but there are a few rides that I've learned not to take too lightly.

The last forum cross ride (a few years back), I didn't take as much of a challenge, so I showed up on my Serotta road bike. I found that the guy on the road bike has a speed advantage on flat, hard packed trails, and chasing the guy on the single speed mountain bike on the twisty trails of Cutler park was probably a mistake (almost drafted a number of trees), but I got away with it anyway.

Showing up at the bottom of Lincoln Gap with a 39x27, having warmed up on two other gaps, is a dumb idea that I didn't get away with. Gotta give that hill some respect.

D2R2 is another one of those rides that you need to have some respect for, and not show up with "almost good enough" equipment. It doesn't have a hill like Lincoln Gap (nothing else does), but it's got so many elements that are so different that you should go into it thinking "I may not need this much tire, but...", 'cause whatever comes after the "but" will almost certainly happen if you don't.

A couple of years ago I brought my Serotta road bike to the D2R2. For about 99% of it I was fine, and for the other 1% I wasn't. There were two very steep packed dirt hills, and they were damp. I remember being on one of them, my pedals were turning, the back wheel was turning, and I was sliding back down the hill. I slid back down about 20 feet and fell over in a mud puddle. It's hard to imagine a collection of roads having a sense of humor, but clearly the D2R2 has one.

I have no suggestions for the right tire for D2R2, as I've never finished that ride thinking I brought the right thing.

merlinmurph
02-29-2016, 12:58 PM
P.S. It's only February and we already have a D2R2 tire thread?

Man, no kidding, you beat me to it. I gagged when I saw the post. C'mon weisan, you've even ridden D2R2 before, you know what it's like. There's a little bit of everything, and tires are ultimately a compromise, so it depends on what you want. Good to hear you're making the trip - that's awesome.

Picking the ideal D2R2 tire is like me asking you what I want for breakfast.

Exactly. Everybody has different goals for the ride, everybody wants something different from it, some riders are younger and can beat the crap out of themselves all day, some riders (like the soon-to-be 62-year-old me) ride the cushiest tire they can find.

No matter what tire you ride (OK, within reason), you'll have a blast.

GRAVELBIKE
02-29-2016, 02:42 PM
How much clearance does your frame/fork have?

I've been running Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x40's at 30/40 (front/rear), and the ride is quite nice (on- and off-road) (photo here (https://scontent-dfw1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12728679_486589201549132_1826270236_n.jpg)).

holliscx
02-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Rode 32 Gatorskins for Paris-Roubaix last year, from gutter BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM to crown BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM and back to gutter all day. Glanced down several times and felt sorry for the tires but they performed remarkably.

weisan
02-29-2016, 05:29 PM
I appreciate all the responses so far. The reason why I posed this question is twofold.
1) I am really interested in hearing what others have to say and I realize I may not have the "best" answer. Judging by the variety of response, I think I have accomplished that.

2) whip up the interest of newcomers and those sitting by the fence. It's not good enough just to have long standing veterans who come back to the ride again and again. We need new blood. And sometimes for some of us who have family commitments to make it to an event like this requires long term planning. So, it's NOT too early to be talking about things related to D2R2.

Now to share my own experience. I have only done it once and was using 35mm pasela. It was fine on relatively even and flat sections of the ride, in fact it flies through them. But when it comes to the rocks, loose gravel and the rougher/steeper section, I got a couple of close calls and had to walk up quite a few hills.

Reading the comments so far, I am most intrigued by Kenda happy medium and Clement MSO tubeless if the latter ever become available before the ride in August.

dcama5
02-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Shucks, I was hoping the Paris Roubaix tire would get the pass. I got some of those and some Strada Biancas to try for D2R2. Anyone like the panaracer gravel king smooth 28?

Stien, if you don't think the Challenge tires will pass and you want to sell them, PM me... :)

batman1425
02-29-2016, 06:39 PM
I've been riding Kenda Happy Mediums in 35c for the last couple years. They do pretty well on gravel, and the side knobs help a lot when it gets loose. My only complaint is that they wear pretty fast on pavement - but that can be said of any file tread really.

weisan
02-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Saw this picture over at Velonews

new 36mm X’Plor MSO tubeless tire

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2016/02/NAHBS022616SL568.jpg?_ga=1.210211413.1112369959.14 56794579

Peter P.
02-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Since you posted a photo, it gave me the idea to post one of the tire I mentioned earlier that I use on D2R2. Looking at the tire you posted Weisan, my first thought is those knobs aren't substantial enough to last long, and they're not tall enough to get a deep bite.

It's a cheapo Bontrager Select Invert, 26x1.5" (38mm). At 130lbs. bodyweight, I use 40psi. in the tires. I'm tempted to go to 35psi. but I think I'd be flirting with flats.

http://veloscout-artem.ru/velozapchasti/image_velozapchasti_9491_small.jpg

I've never complained of insufficient traction, yet I thought these were fine on the paved sections as well.

happycampyer
02-29-2016, 08:36 PM
<snip>

For about 99% of it I was fine, and for the other 1% I wasn't.This is such a true statement. I find that it is best to optimize for 90 - 95% of the ride, knowing that whatever I ride will be sub-optimal for the rest. There's a mile or two that would be great on a mtb or even a fatbike (mostly descents), but I'd be miserable the rest of the time.

Weisan pal, you and I are about the same height--when we meet up in Deerfield you should throw your leg over this thing and take it for a spin:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tXWNFBc/0/L/i-tXWNFBc-L.jpg

weisan
02-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Master P pal, you are so right. I am such a pitiful bike handler but when I was rolling on the 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock n Road during a gravel ride this past Saturday (https://vimeo.com/157094728), it turned me from a pussy cat into a tiger charging everywhere with complete abandonment, which is no small feat. :D

campyer pal, appreciate your kind offer, I would LOVE to get my hands on your Firefly, you probably want to take my driver license just in case I run off with it.:beer:

Peter P.
02-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Master P pal, you are so right. I am such a pitiful bike handler but when I was rolling on the 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock n Road during a gravel ride this past Saturday (https://vimeo.com/157094728), it turned me from a pussy cat into a tiger charging everywhere with complete abandonment, which is no small feat. :D

campyer pal, appreciate your kind offer, I would LOVE to get my hands on your Firefly, you probably want to take my driver license just in case I run off with it.:beer:

The Rock 'n Road would be a perfect tire for D2R2. But it's obvious from the video you need to work on your "perfect tire pressure for D2R2".

P.S. Did you poach that ride?

Formulasaab
03-01-2016, 06:11 AM
I should probably mention that the first two years I rode D2R2 I didn't own a "gravel bike" or rando. So instead I brought the only one of my road bikes that would fit a 28mm tire... The old Tommaso.

I had little idea what I was getting into and with no other gravel riding experience to draw on, had no preconceptions about tires. I did however have a burning desire to do something "fun" with the Tommaso, to play up its very awesome paint job.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160301/55948eb8e508f6a4f849d87d4c5c4e2a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160301/a1a4bc5e3a33a889d0c88d36053446ea.jpg

What I found, in amazingly matchy matchy green, was the Fyxation Session tire in 28mm. http://www.fyxation.com/products/session-700-tire-foldable-bead

It is aimed at the fixie crowd sure, but it has good stuff in it... Foldable bead, Kevlar reinforcement to guard against punctures, a nice soft compound, is reasonably priced, and fairly light. It was never going to have the volume of a larger more gravel dedicated tire, but it was all I could fit on the bike and DID get me up all the hills without a dab. I liked it well enough that I rode it again the next year.

Last year on the Challenge Gravel Grinder was much more confidence inspiring, but if someone was restricted to using a 28mm tire, there are worse choices than the Fyxation Session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbay
03-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Rain could be a factor, but the six or seven years that I have ridden it the issue has more often than not been lack of rain, resulting in loose gravel. Many of the dirt roads are just that--dirt roads, so some rain can be beneficial. And a lot of the jeep roads are under tree cover, so it would take a lot of rain to create muddy conditions where knobby tires are a necessity.

Of course, I say this now and this August there will be a week-long tropical storm leading up to and the day of the event. :eek:

Last year, it would have been very tempting to pick a very different "ideal" tyre just a week before the event than you would have picked on the day itself, which enjoyed sublime conditions.

This was last week on one of the roads on the 180km route:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6Le1v_YTKGw/VtXIHZ-xeuI/AAAAAAAAVSU/ZfBwKr1fxoM/s2048-Ic42/IMG_1743.JPG

-- John

happycampyer
03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
It has been noted but bears repeating--the different routes present different conditions and challenges, so what works fine for the 100K might not work so well on the 160K or 180K, even on the same day. I've signed up for different distances but keep finding myself in poor enough shape to keep falling back on the 100K, so that is what I'm familiar with. My understanding is that the 160K and 180K are much more challenging than the 100K.

merlinmurph
03-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Weisan pal, you and I are about the same height--when we meet up in Deerfield you should throw your leg over this thing and take it for a spin:

Careful weisan - don't hold the puppy or you'll end up getting one.... ;-)

AngryScientist
03-01-2016, 12:14 PM
that looks like some good tire stopping mud there john. yikes.

leftyfreak
03-01-2016, 01:08 PM
that looks like some good tire stopping mud there john. yikes.

He just needs to do a better job of picking lines. :D

weisan
03-01-2016, 02:16 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6Le1v_YTKGw/VtXIHZ-xeuI/AAAAAAAAVSU/ZfBwKr1fxoM/s2048-Ic42/IMG_1743.JPG

-- John

I LOVE this shot, John pal...I think it's so wallpaper-worthy! :D

weisan
03-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Careful weisan - don't hold the puppy or you'll end up getting one.... ;-)

I know the risk going in...but thanks for the friendly warning Merlin pal. :)

jbay
03-01-2016, 02:19 PM
that looks like some good tire stopping mud there john. yikes.Quite tiring to ride in, you could say.

He just needs to do a better job of picking lines. :DThe mud is like a black hole. It just sucks you in. :eek:

-- John

jbay
03-01-2016, 02:22 PM
I LOVE this shot, John pal...I think it's so wallpaper-worthy! :DI'm so glad you like it, Weisan! As is the way of these things, that was a quick shot with my phone as opposed to a carefully composed photograph with my good camera. :rolleyes:

-- John

jbay
03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
My understanding is that the 160K and 180K are much more challenging than the 100K.Each route has its own special challenges, I think. The 100k has what can often be the trickiest climb to clean - Old Albany. The 115k exercises all the core muscles - can your sphincter cope with the descent of Ed Clark and catching air at 50mph? The 160k has the most technical (and fun) descent on East Hill "Road." And the 180k has a little bit of everything.

It's all good!

-- John

Andreas
03-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Each route has its own special challenges, I think. The 100k has what can often be the trickiest climb to clean - Old Albany. The 115k exercises all the core muscles - can your sphincter cope with the descent of Ed Clark and catching air at 50mph? The 160k has the most technical (and fun) descent on East Hill "Road." And the 180k has a little bit of everything.

It's all good!

-- John

As a friend of unexpected challenges and unknown routes I am sure Sandy will cook up something magical for the mystic loop this year...

I will ride whatever tyre is on the bike at the time as our dirt roads are very similar here to the ones in the deep south (just hillier...)

skijoring
03-01-2016, 05:42 PM
As a friend of unexpected challenges and unknown routes I am sure Sandy will cook up something magical for the mystic loop this year...

I will ride whatever tyre is on the bike at the time as our dirt roads are very similar here to the ones in the deep south (just hillier...)

Andreas has the book on the good stuff in the Upper Valley. :beer:

ripvanrando
03-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Anyone have experience with Schwalbe's 35 or 40mm G-one or 32mm s-one?

I like the Pro one tubeless. Thinking of trying the above for gravel.

Unfortunately can't do D2R2 because it overlaps with the Mille Miglia 1001.

EPIC! Stratton
03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
I've had good luck with the following:

Continental Cyclocross Speed (700x35)
http://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/image/59200/product_detail_bicycle_side/570/460/7/cyclocross-speed-cross-s1-01.png

Continental Contact (700x32)

YesNdeed
03-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Must. Ride. Dirt.
If only I didn't have to work.
I'm taking cues from this thread for Crusher in the Tushar tire options. I'll be doing the Crusher this year, but still have yet to do either ride. Both seem to have comparably perplexing tire options.
MSO 32s are a strong contender right now, and I might also consider Panaracer Gravel King 32s. My riding buddy is sold on Schwalbe S One tubeless (700x30), but he's your basic madman on roadie dirt. Not sure I hang on with tires that skinny. Although he does handle mud well, and shakes it off with the Schwalbes. My Clement MDXs seem to gather and hold onto it. I've got wheels for tubeless or tubed, so may go tubeless as well.