PDA

View Full Version : Core Exercises

rpm
06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I found an interesting set of articles on core exercises for cyclists by Emma Colson, who is a physiotherapist and national level mountain bike competitor in Australia. Her view is that many of the usual core exercises aren't that helpful to cyclists, and she outlines some that she thinks are better:

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

Too Tall
06-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Emma pretty much knows her stuff....I've got GREAT respect for what she does and represents and shares.

The stuff outlined is only a very small fraction of a well rounded core conditioning program.

You want it all in an hr. right? Work yourself up to an advanced level II Mat Pilates class.

Fat Robert
06-10-2006, 09:16 PM
the standing exercise with the small dumbells is great -- been doing that for a month now and got 1cm lower (actually, I'm trying out 11.5cm of drop...which is 2cm lower than where I was before)....

some "supermans" on the swiss ball...you're "jackknifed" over the ball, feet and hands on the floor, and you bring both feet and one hand up, leaving one hand on the floor for balance...hold everything in a straight line for a few seconds...that'll get the ol transverse abdominals working...love that one....

combine the "mule kicks" (rolling the ball in towards your pelvis with your feet while you hold the upper body steady in a pushup position) with a push up...(chest to the floor when you roll the ball in, push up when you kick the ball back) that's a fun one...do 25 of those with good form and you're a beast....

obtuse
06-10-2006, 09:45 PM
doing anything physical off the bike is mad painful. taking the elevator along with your vitamins is where it's at yo.

obutse

andy mac
06-11-2006, 01:25 AM
i went and saw emma when i was in melbourne and she saved me from scheduled knee surgery. all i had was a tight arse that was pulling my leg outta line.

a wonderful person who didn't make me feel like the hack i am.

:beer: to her.

andy.

531Aussie
06-11-2006, 11:11 PM
i went and saw emma when i was in melbourne.bewdy -- I might go see her.

Great link, and I especially like the article which confirms that cleats, pulling up on the pedals, and pedaling in cirlces, is overrated. :)

http://www.topbike.com.au/pdfs/colson-bicyc-austjuly_aug2002.pdf