PDA

View Full Version : How to remove MTB front wheel

NHAero
02-27-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm stumped on this 2009 Stumpjumper and can't find the right info via Google machine :-(
The Fox front fork has conventional slots for the wheel axle. The wheel (hub says Specialized, rim is DT Swiss 420) has an 9mm solid threaded axle that looks similar to what you'd find on a track hub. The side with the lever has a plastic lever labeled DT Swiss that is held on with a small bolt through the center into the axle. Removing the lever shows a 20 spline axle end with integral (I think) washer. The plastic lever isn't designed to put a lot of torque on the splines. I've removed the nut on the non-lever side. Turning the splined end just spins the whole assembly.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much

NHAero
02-27-2016, 01:04 PM
What I was missing was a rubber hammer apparently. Once I hammered it out and greased it up it slides back in. Not ecstatic about a plastic lever with fine splines though. Is this a DT Swiss hub?

cmbicycles
02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing this isn't a standard QR. Spec wheels I used to have used a 9mm maxi-skewer that did double duty as the axle. DT has their own QR skewers that just thread on, no cam lever. So perhaps these are a derivative of those, the lever is reposition able so you can tighten it and then reposition it to continue tightening. Pictures may help.
Then again, if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. How big is your saddle bag ;)

pdmtong
02-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Is it a DTS RWS 9mm?
Please post a pic, I may have some additional insight.

NHAero
02-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Here's a photo of the lever and the bolt that holds it on. In the side the lever is female 20 spline which mates with the end of the axle, male 20 spline.

dustyrider
02-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Don't take out the bolt(red) that attaches the lever to the axle. You can pull the lever out to rotate it. Let it go and tighten or loosen. YouTube rws you'll see!

austex
02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
What I was missing was a rubber hammer apparently. Once I hammered it out and greased it up it slides back in. Not ecstatic about a plastic lever with fine splines though. Is this a DT Swiss hub?

That would be a first-gen DT skewer. There were enough failures that DT changed to metal-on-metal. I'd retire that plastic one.

NHAero
02-27-2016, 08:40 PM
thank you.
Can I replace this with a conventional cam-type QR? Or is the skewer axle structural to the hub?

That would be a first-gen DT skewer. There were enough failures that DT changed to metal-on-metal. I'd retire that plastic one.

pdmtong
02-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Exactly right. First-gen DTS RWS 9mm. Think of it as a ratchet, that is held in place by a spring. pull the lever out, turn and position it. With the plastic teeth engaged, tighten or loosen. pull lever out to reposition. repeat. I once gave the frame to a mchanic who tried to take it off like a normal QR and broke the lever. idiot.
thank you. Can I replace this with a conventional cam-type QR? Or is the skewer axle structural to the hub?
Specialized loves DTS hubs. The offered a QR 9m at one time, if you can find that it would work. But you cannot use a std 100mm QR.

NHAero
02-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Sounds as though I should just replace with an all-metal 9mm version. Thank you all - I couldn't find a single image online of what I have here

dustyrider
02-28-2016, 08:40 AM
I still have a single plastic version on the rear of my full suspension bike. With what I do on a mtb, I wouldn't bother replacing it. They're called dt Swiss RWS. "Dt Swiss skewer" also results in many google images....even the plastic ones.

pdmtong
02-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I still have a single plastic version on the rear of my full suspension bike. With what I do on a mtb, I wouldn't bother replacing it. They're called dt Swiss RWS. "Dt Swiss skewer" also results in many google images....even the plastic ones.

The plastic can work fine it really depends on frequency of wheel removal since it can wear if not properly engaged

thirdgenbird
02-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Sounds as though I should just replace with an all-metal 9mm version. Thank you all - I couldn't find a single image online of what I have here

I think American Classic still offers a cam style QR that would fit this hub. I think there were specalized and ritchey can style ones in the late 90s too.

NHAero
02-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks to a suggestion from pdmtong, I emailed DT Swiss customer service, and an aluminum one is on the way!

pdmtong
02-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks to a suggestion from pdmtong, I emailed DT Swiss customer service, and an aluminum one is on the way!

Glad I could help...