PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Hollowtech II BB question

NHAero
02-27-2016, 11:18 AM
I bought a used Specialized Stumpjumper for my wife. Pulling the chain off I find the BB has a lot of friction. The crankset has external bearings and the non-drive crank has two allen head bolts that clamp it to the hollow BB shaft. With the cranks still in place, I find the cranks have about 10 degrees of freedom rotationally before they "engage" and begin to have friction (I hope this makes some sense :-)

What's typical, and is this adjustable in any way? Should these cranks be as free-spinning as an older set of cranks on, say, a Phil Wood BB?

Don't have any other external BB cup bikes so this is a new venture :-)

Thank you

spartanKid
02-27-2016, 11:21 AM
That doesn't sound right. Sounds like it might have a bad ball bearing in there.

All of the HTII cranks and BBs I've had spin pretty freely, though not as easily as a loose ball square taper BB for example.

I've never owned a Phil BB so I can't comment.

NHAero
02-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Think I may have answered my own question - too much preload on the plastic preload bolt.

shovelhd
02-27-2016, 11:24 AM
It does sound like the bearings are shot but tough to diagnose like this. These BB's have a preload setting. You need a special fluted wrench to set it. Any shop will have one. Set the preload, torque the clamp bolts, check for play.

p nut
02-27-2016, 12:10 PM
While you're at it, go ahead and clean/regrease it.

http://socialcyclists.org/road-forum/rebuilding-a-shimano-external-bottom-bracket/

oldpotatoe
02-27-2016, 12:20 PM
I bought a used Specialized Stumpjumper for my wife. Pulling the chain off I find the BB has a lot of friction. The crankset has external bearings and the non-drive crank has two allen head bolts that clamp it to the hollow BB shaft. With the cranks still in place, I find the cranks have about 10 degrees of freedom rotationally before they "engage" and begin to have friction (I hope this makes some sense :-)

What's typical, and is this adjustable in any way? Should these cranks be as free-spinning as an older set of cranks on, say, a Phil Wood BB?

Don't have any other external BB cup bikes so this is a new venture :-)

Thank you

Take the cranks off(plastic setting nut out, 2 Allen bolts loose), spin the hearings with your fingers. Feels like it's full of sand, replace. All road outboard bearing BBs intercompatible. If smooth, grease onto spindle, crank arms on, plastic knob/adjust 'bolt' finger tight(WITH tool). You MUST torque the two boots properly, torque written on LH arm. Too loose, fall off, too tight, kill LH arm(grease on splines also).

NHAero
02-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks to all of you! Tool ordered...