PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Tooth x Lindarets "Tanpan" - Shimano Road Shifters with MTN RD!!!!

eBAUMANN
02-26-2016, 11:01 AM
HOLY CRAP!
(http://www.lindarets.com/tanpan)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/527433ede4b0ad8b178aecdb/56c1ef5ccf80a13c7c1ae83f/56c1ef5c45bf21dc542ffa4a/1455550328216/Tanpan+SH11+5.jpg?format=500w

I love wolf tooth components, always innovating and creating things that cyclists actually want (because they are a small company of cyclists themselves) instead of telling cyclists what they should want.

thirdgenbird
02-26-2016, 11:07 AM
I know it would be a narrow market, but I would love to pair a record 10spd ergo with a zee RD.

Pegoready
02-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Yup, Wolf Tooth absolutely KILLS IT with their product offerings. This looks amazing.

ultraman6970
02-26-2016, 11:48 AM
In 11 speed probably will work just fine or it will be close enough.

I know it would be a narrow market, but I would love to pair a record 10spd ergo with a zee RD.

sandyrs
02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
I just had wonderful visions of my Gaulzetti set up 1x with an XT derailleur.

thirdgenbird
02-26-2016, 12:05 PM
In 11 speed probably will work just fine or it will be close enough.

You mean an 11spd ergo with an 11spd rd? A chorus 11/xt11 setup would peak my interest.

ultraman6970
02-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Well the 11 shimano and campagnolo spacing are super close, if i got this right in the translation, this thing changes the ratio so you can use a shimano 11 mtb cassette and rd with 11 shimano brifters. In that case you change the RD and the cassette for an 11 shimano mtb and good to go, dont see why should not work.

Even if it works using a chorus 11 and a shimano mtb cassette the problem is that the chorus 11 wont go over 29 or 30 T... you are forced to change that rd for a shimano one if you want to go over 29 T.

Wonder if the guy developing this was the same guy that came up with the shimagnolo pulley thing, it is exactly the same thing but bigger.

thirdgenbird
02-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Cassette spacing is similar, but this guy is all about cable pull change. it's possible one of these would work for an ergo lever/shadow+ combo but it would be happenstance.

The chorus tooth limit is a non issue. I want a campy ergo shifting over a 11-40t cassette with a shadow+rd.

ultraman6970
02-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Always you can try one of this ones too....

http://www.lindarets.com/goatlink11

oddsaabs
02-26-2016, 12:47 PM
And made in Minneapolis America USA in their new facility full of cool new toys for building great stuff!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/26/lindarets-x-wolftooth-tanpan-negotiates-shimano-road-shifter-mountain-rear-derailleur-marriage/

cp43
02-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Cassette spacing is similar, but this guy is all about cable pull change. it's possible one of these would work for an ergo lever/shadow+ combo but it would be happenstance.

The chorus tooth limit is a non issue. I want a campy ergo shifting over a 11-40t cassette with a shadow+rd.

You might be able to find what you need here:

http://www.jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/

I had one that was supposed to go from Shimano 10 speed road shifters to Shimano 10 speed MTB RD. It mostly worked, but it wasn't perfect. I think with more setup time, I could have gotten it to work. I gave up though, since I could just switch to a 9 speed RD, and skip the adapter.

EDIT: If you're trying to get 11sp Campy to run with an 11 speed Shimano RD, they say it's can't be done with a ShiftMate. Look for the "ShiftMate X" section of the link above.

thirdgenbird
02-26-2016, 01:48 PM
My ideal would be c10 to shim10mtb. Last I checked, jtek didn't have one. I also like the design of the wolftooth one better. Not a big deal. Full campy is working fine and I've already got the parts :)

Marc Lindarets
02-28-2016, 09:24 AM
HOLY CRAP!
(http://www.lindarets.com/tanpan)
I love wolf tooth components, always innovating and creating things that cyclists actually want (because they are a small company of cyclists themselves) instead of telling cyclists what they should want.

Thanks for your enthusiasm! This was a want-driven project for sure :D
The RoadLink works great if you don't need the clutch or a super-wide cassette, but the extra chain security (and ability to use some of the new 11-40 and 11-42t cassettes) is a huge advantage on rougher roads and for 'cross.

Unfortunately we don't have anything Campy-oriented in the works at the moment. As great as it is, the market is so small that we'll have to play that one by ear. If you don't need the clutch, we have a number of people on the using the RoadLink quite happily with Campagnolo- with the biggest limitation there being tooth capacity.

We're really excited about the Tanpan- and reception has been amazing. Feel free to shoot me any questions in the meantime, either here or via the website linked above.

Marc

thirdgenbird
02-28-2016, 09:36 AM
I totally understand not chasing the campy market. One of these days, I will compare the ratios and see if one of your existing products will inadvertently pair an ergo lever to a shimano clutch RD. For now, I'm getting by without the clutch.

Do you know if anyone has used a road link with a short cage 10spd derailler and IRD 11-32 or 12-34 cassette?

I am running 1x so capacity should be fine.

Marc Lindarets
02-28-2016, 09:49 AM
I totally understand not chasing the campy market. One of these days, I will compare the ratios and see if one of your existing products will inadvertently pair an ergo lever to a shimano clutch RD. For now, I'm getting by without the clutch.

Do you know if anyone has used a road link with a short cage 10spd derailler and IRD 11-32 cassette?

I can't speak to the IRD specifically, but the 32t falls into a funny hole where the RoadLink isn't that helpful on the Shimano side. Because of hardware interference, we couldn't really optimize around anything smaller than a 36 top cog (and most Shimano 10s rear derailleurs will clear a 32 in a pinch, 11s as stock).

thirdgenbird
02-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the great info.

adhumston
02-28-2016, 09:56 AM
This is just what I needed to get the super low gearing that my gf needs for climbing. Already put my order in. Now I just need to find a frameset for her...

thirdgenbird
02-28-2016, 10:02 AM
This is just what I needed to get the super low gearing that my gf needs for climbing. Already put my order in. Now I just need to find a frameset for her...

Orange black mountain cycles road frame
Silver VO brakes
6800 crank/fd/shifters (or silver wi cranks)
Xt RD
Silver Thomson post/stem
Silver hwy 1 bars
Silver ck headset
King ss cages
Silver white industries hubs to archetype hard ano rims (silver spokes)
Stampede pass tires

Someone has to build it...

ultraman6970
03-01-2016, 01:57 PM
I sent an email asking about this to the Jtek guys in the uk a few days ago and they came up with an answer that could work for somebody here, no idea if they will develop another product to match this one tho, but since they have a lot of other pulleys already developed maybe they needed to just try another combination...

Quote "...

You can use:

Campagnolo 11 speed shifters with Shimano TEN speed rear mech and Shimano (or SRAM or Campag) 11 speed cassette using the Shiftmate #5

You just CAN’T use the 11s Shimano rear mech because unlike shimano 10 (and fewer) and campag everything the gaps in cable travel needed are constant."

Hope this helps somebody :)

guido
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Excuse my ignorance I have been using road stuff exclusively for a long time...

Does the Shimano xt/xtr 11speed RD work with road spacing cassettes?

Or can you use a Shimano 11 speed Mtn cassette on a road 11 speed shimano/sram spacing hub?

thanks!

ultraman6970
03-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Looks like it, why develop a new spacing when the cogs are already too tight :)

What they have been doing is changing the cable pull, just like campy did with the chorus 2015 edition, but the spacing between the cogs has to be really close, no room to change it with 11 speed.

Probably bird or potato can answer you better, I dont have shimano stuff at all.

Look here....

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-11spd-shimano-road-and-mtb-kit-compatible

jbay
03-01-2016, 02:39 PM
You might be able to find what you need here:

http://www.jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/

I had one that was supposed to go from Shimano 10 speed road shifters to Shimano 10 speed MTB RD. It mostly worked, but it wasn't perfect. I think with more setup time, I could have gotten it to work. I gave up though, since I could just switch to a 9 speed RD, and skip the adapter.
The first thing I wondered when I saw the Tanpan adapter was, "I wonder what this gives you that a Shiftmate #6 (for 10x) or #8 (for 11x) doesn't?" The built-in barrel adjuster is an immediate improvement and, from what you write, it sounds like there is room for performance improvement too. Good stuff.

-- John

thirdgenbird
03-01-2016, 03:42 PM
I didn't realize j-tek added shadow+ compatibility. chorus 11 shifters, a zee RD and a 11-40 would make a sweet 1x setup

ultraman6970
03-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Yeah they added that today after I got their email.

This is the thing, there's a bunch of combinations of RDs that probably they have not tried, but looks like it works.

I used a #2 to go from 11 to 10 and worked just fine, I imagine that is a thing of triying a combination to make 2015 chorus rd compatible with 2014 (and previous) brifters.

kevinvc
03-01-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm really not as familiar with the parts that go on my bikes as I should be. I have a Soma ES set up with a 105 5700 double group (10 speed). I want to use it for some bike camping and need a better climbing range than I have right now.

My understanding is that I could use this Tanpan, get a used XT rear derailleur, and mount a wide range mtb cassette. Is that correct? Does that sound like an easy / inexpensive path to achieve this goal?

thirdgenbird
03-01-2016, 05:37 PM
If you are not worried about a clutch, get a 10spd wide range cassette and a 9spd mtb rear derailleur. It will be cheap and simple. This product adapts to a 10spd mtb (different cable pull) rear derailleur so you can gain the benifit of a clutch for 1x and/or rough terrain.

ultraman6970
03-02-2016, 08:16 AM
An update in this large cog with shimano shadow and 11 speed campy brifters...

The guys from j-tek say that the #7 works, in paper #5 should be the right one but they actually tested it and #7 it is the way to go, they updated their website aswell.

Hope this helps bird and others.

:)

thirdgenbird
03-02-2016, 08:33 AM
That opens up some cool potential. Thanks!

AJosiahK
03-02-2016, 03:07 PM
big thumbs UP :hello:

mwynne
03-03-2016, 01:04 PM
This goes back to something I was kicking around earlier... Does this sound like a plausible train of thought?

Tanpan allows 11-speed (Shimano) road shifters to work with 11-speed (Shimano) mountain derailleur (and presumably 11-speed mountain cassettes.
And 11-speed (Shimano) mountain cassettes can fit on old 10-speed (Shimano) freehub bodies.

So I could (in theory) run 11-speed Ultegra brifters to whatever 11-speed rear mountain derailleur and keep using my old King ISO hubs with a mountain cassette mounted up... Could be a bad-ass 1x11 option!