PDA

View Full Version : Frame Pumps - Availability?

GScot
02-25-2016, 08:02 PM
i know about the new $$$$ Silca and since i want two pumps I thought I'd check into other options. My Blackburn is about shot and I see they haven't offered one for a while. Looks like Park and Topeak are the easiest to find. Zefal might be out there. Had a Zefal years ago that was a POS.

Anything else I've missed? What are you happy with? To be used on bikes with 35-40mm tires so volume is preferred over pressure. Even on my skinny tires 85 psi is about the max.

teleguy57
02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
this is of interest to me as well.

dzxc
02-25-2016, 08:17 PM
I've been looking at this same topic. REALLY like the silca impero ultimate, but wow that price.

biker72
02-25-2016, 08:20 PM
I've been using one of these (http://goo.gl/CJn39u) Zefal HPX for years.

joosttx
02-25-2016, 08:23 PM
The silca is rad. Like really rad. If you want something cheaper get a topeak.

Lovetoclimb
02-25-2016, 08:25 PM
Zefal HPX

hollowgram5
02-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I've got a Topeak and a Planet bike pump. Had them both for years, and don't often go anywhere without them. The Silca looks really nice, but I can't justify the coin right now.. maybe when I get a new bike... maybe...

rccardr
02-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I've got a handful of Silca's in The Parts Closet, at least some of them have Campy heads. I don't use a frame pump, so if interested PM me...

unterhausen
02-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I was going to say there is an infinite supply of the real Imperios left, and it's really a pretty good pump. Wish I had gotten a lifetime supply when the bodies were $3

FlashUNC
02-25-2016, 09:00 PM
The new Silca is phenomenal.

dave thompson
02-25-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm the 'Can you air up my tire' guy on group rides because my Topeak works so well and it's easy.

mmfs
02-25-2016, 09:34 PM
I've been liking my Zefal HPX.

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Topeak master blaster. Sure its not the prettiest but works really well, good price, easily available.

Goes everywhere I go on all my bikes, I have a couple sizes.

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12748267_1128879900486097_478914004_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTE4OTkzMTkwNjExMTc0MjcwMg%3D%3D.2

from this weekend, even looks fine on a classic bike :)

pdmtong
02-25-2016, 09:36 PM
The silca is rad. Like really rad. If you want something cheaper get a topeak.

I concur with the H man. he speaks the truth.

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 09:38 PM
lets be honest though, how much better does it work than a zefal or a topeak? don't get me wrong I would love one

FlashUNC
02-25-2016, 09:42 PM
lets be honest though, how much better does it work than a zefal or a topeak? don't get me wrong I would love one

Silca likes to trot this out. Can't speak empirically, but it feels like it moves a heckuva lot of air.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/Ultimate_Pressure_Data_Chart_PNG.001.png?v=1439919 699

pdmtong
02-25-2016, 09:48 PM

nothing says I am the man like a silca impero

joosttx
02-25-2016, 10:05 PM
nothing says I am the man like a silca impero

When you need a frame pump to say "im the man" you are in serious trouble , you :)

GScot
02-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys. Great information from The Paceline.

I think I will grab a couple Topeaks for now. One for MLWs gravel grinder and one for mine. May have to have a new road frame later this year so I'll plan on a new Silca..

dzxc
02-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Do these work out without a pump peg and no velcro?

joosttx
02-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Do these work out without a pump peg and no velcro?

My buddy uses the silca imp. When riding his cross vagen on basically single track. He told me it never fallen off. No pump peg or velcro for him.

dzxc
02-25-2016, 10:15 PM
My buddy uses the silca imp. When riding his cross vagen on basically single track. He told me it never fallen off. No pump peg or velcro for him.

Thanks for the input! New frame, no pump peg, so kind of feeling like splurging for the impero.

edit: just checked out your Instagram, it's a mosaic as well

pdmtong
02-25-2016, 10:15 PM
When you need a frame pump to say "im the man" you are in serious trouble , you :)

it's the little things that signal ones greatness. I like to be discrete.

one day It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jJnwEeiU0)

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Silca likes to trot this out. Can't speak empirically, but it feels like it moves a heckuva lot of air.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/Ultimate_Pressure_Data_Chart_PNG.001.png?v=1439919 699

fair enough. I would love to try one some day.

Silca should be like rapha and release a cheaper one with cheaper materials but that pushes the same amount of air :)

joosttx
02-25-2016, 10:20 PM
fair enough. I would love to try one some day.

Silca should be like rapha and release a cheaper one with cheaper materials but that pushes the same amount of air :)

The quality of the silca products are far better than the quality of rapha.

idrinkwater
02-25-2016, 10:23 PM
while we're at it, can someone recommend a high quality floor pump that isn't $400? My 6+ year old specialized is doing weird things.

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 10:27 PM
I really like the lezyne I just bought. Not the top model but it was like the $80 model. Nice construction, good looking and I like the valve system (and I don't even have the v2 which is supposedly better), oh I also like the HUGE gauge.

dzxc
02-25-2016, 10:29 PM
I have an expensive Lezyne CNC floor drive that's about 3 years old and it kind of sucks. Also have a 10 year old serfas that I purchased the Lezyne to replace, but the serfas still works great with no signs of slowing down, except it leaks slightly below 25psi after a decade and no maintenance. I feel like the value proposition for expensive floor pumps isn't there.

Ken Robb
02-25-2016, 10:44 PM
i know about the new $$$$ Silca and since i want two pumps I thought I'd check into other options. My Blackburn is about shot and I see they haven't offered one for a while. Looks like Park and Topeak are the easiest to find. Zefal might be out there. Had a Zefal years ago that was a POS.

Anything else I've missed? What are you happy with? To be used on bikes with 35-40mm tires so volume is preferred over pressure. Even on my skinny tires 85 psi is about the max.

If you didn't like a Zefal I don't know what to suggest. They are as good as any and better than most ATMO.

JasonF
02-26-2016, 06:18 AM
while we're at it, can someone recommend a high quality floor pump that isn't $400? My 6+ year old specialized is doing weird things.

SKS Airmenius is an awesome pump - works great with a huge and accurate gauge.

AngryScientist
02-26-2016, 06:28 AM

it, IMO doesnt work better. i've got both the topeak and the new silca. while the silca is built very well, and is a sweet pump - the reality is that if i actually need to pump a tire up, i prefer the topeak. for me, the head works better and the lock-out handle are better.

velomonkey
02-26-2016, 07:12 AM
I don't have the topeak like angry, but I suspect if I did my opinion would be the same

The impero does fit both my colnago and my firefly and it doesn't need velcro. It does look killer.

A clarification on reality: I bet I can bench press more than most of you and while you COULD get your tires past 100psi the more likely scenario is you get them up to around 80psi. It's pretty damn hard to keep pumping after that.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1650/24106909704_46a5b8ae34_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CJfdod)FullSizeRender-2 (https://flic.kr/p/CJfdod)

chiasticon
02-26-2016, 07:24 AM
A clarification on reality: I bet I can bench press more than most of you and while you COULD get your tires past 100psi the more likely scenario is you get them up to around 80psi. It's pretty damn hard to keep pumping after that.yep. that's absolutely been my experience. the topeak is cheaper and far better at actually pumping up road tires for people with skinny cyclist arms. it takes more pumps, sure, but they're *easy* pumps. I've actually owned the blackburn and park tool pumps as well, and they're similar to the silca at efficiency; i.e. better at high volume than high pressure.

the silca slays all comers in the looks department, though.

also, sweet 'nago :beer:

GScot
02-26-2016, 07:46 AM
I must have gotten a bad one. Everything about it seemed sloppy. The handle pulled off the shaft.

If you didn't like a Zefal I don't know what to suggest. They are as good as any and better than most ATMO.

Lewis Moon
02-26-2016, 08:07 AM
I use an old school Impero with a Campy head. Always have, always will, as long as there are NOS Imperos out there. I've used them since 1974 and have never had a problem. They can be painted to match the bike, are relatively light and can be had relatively cheaply if you look.

dzxc
02-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Alright thanks all. Topeak pumps are going for about $21 right now on Amazon, and Silca is $165 shipped. So it was painful, but because I'm building a "dream" bike with all new components I went with the bling this time after seeing an impero ultimate on a titanium bike on that other site. To wit:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1704/24611887942_d189707f0c_b.jpg

Hat tip: the flickr feed of the bike's owner (https://www.flickr.com/photos/133559924@N08/24611887942/in/photostream/)

edit: looks like this belongs to velomonkey! if you'd like me to take the photo/link down, I'm more than happy to do so

velomonkey
02-26-2016, 08:47 AM
edit: looks like this belongs to velomonkey! if you'd like me to take the photo/link down, I'm more than happy to do so

Nah, Bro, it's all good - I'm proud of the work I put into her. Thank you for noticing (and thanks to Chiast for noting the nago).

The impero really does work with the firefly so much so it couldn't be better - it also works with the nago, but not as tight.

Trust me, I like the pump, but don't expect to be riding away at 120psi.

AngryScientist
02-26-2016, 08:54 AM
haha. the givaway is the bike leaning against the same rock formation and snow pile as the nago!

dzxc
02-26-2016, 08:55 AM
haha this is what clued me in as well. I looked at the photo, scrolled up, and was like "this looks familiar..."

velomonkey
02-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Someone actually said to me they wish they took a picture of all their bikes at the same location that's what gave me the idea.

zennmotion
02-26-2016, 09:20 AM
I've used the (same) Topeak for many years. My new sled will have a Silca because that's what Tom Kellogg will custom paint. Vanity. Own it. BTW, I used the Topeak on a Ti frame without a pump peg, or a strap by gluing a small square patch of velcro to the back of the head tube and a round patch of the fuzzy side cut to fit to the handle end of the pump. Together with a fairly tight fit, the velcro did the job, if anything it took a bit of effort to get the pump off when I needed it.

FlashUNC
02-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I go with the toe strap personally, just to be on the safe side. Probably not necessary, but on the rough roads out here, gives me some added peace of mind that I don't Cinzano myself.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5777/23934933325_0c15285ce5_b.jpg

chiasticon
02-26-2016, 09:33 AM
BTW, I used the Topeak on a Ti frame without a pump peg, or a strap by gluing a small square patch of velcro to the back of the head tube and a round patch of the fuzzy side cut to fit to the handle end of the pump.yeah I've actually modified my topeak to have a couple rubber bits where it meets the frame. on the hp dial, I glued a rubber strip I had left over from a light (those strips they give you in case your seat post is a different diameter). and on the plastic end I glued a rubber washer. so now I use it with a carbon frame and nothing but rubber touches the frame. been on there a few years now with no scratches to the paint.

I don't use a velcro strap either as with a 54cm frame and the size large, it's really tight in there.

Climb01742
02-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have experience with this Lezyne?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/lezyne-carbon-road-drive-high-pressure-hand-pump?skidn=LED0120-CARGLO-M&ti=UExQIENhdDpCaWtlIFB1bXBzICYgQ08yIEluZmxhdG9yczo xOjEyOmNjQ2F0MTAwMDM2

I've used a Zefal for years and it does get up to pressure well, but keeping the chuck positioned correctly on the valve stem as you muscle it isn't always easy. Having the Lezyne hose_seems_like it may be a solution, but is it?? Any experiences with it? Thx.

cp43
02-26-2016, 09:53 AM

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/lezyne-carbon-road-drive-high-pressure-hand-pump?skidn=LED0120-CARGLO-M&ti=UExQIENhdDpCaWtlIFB1bXBzICYgQ08yIEluZmxhdG9yczo xOjEyOmNjQ2F0MTAwMDM2

I've used a Zefal for years and it does get up to pressure well, but keeping the chuck positioned correctly on the valve stem as you muscle it isn't always easy. Having the Lezyne hose_seems_like it may be a solution, but is it?? Any experiences with it? Thx.

I haven't used that exact model. But I have used that style of pump from Lezyne. I like them, especially the hose that gives you some wiggle room while pumping. I usually use a frame pump, but I'm always afraid that I'm going to damage the valve. The little hose on the Lezyne eliminates that concern. I haven't used them enough to comment on air volume though.

R3awak3n
02-26-2016, 09:53 AM

I don't but that won't go on the frame I don't think. When they say "mounts on the frame" i think you need to use their mount. I had wished for a frame pump with a valve hose but after having used my topeak I have to say that it is not really necessary

cp43
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
I don't but that won't go on the frame I don't think. When they say "mounts on the frame" i think you need to use their mount. I had wished for a frame pump with a valve hose but after having used my topeak I have to say that it is not really necessary

You are right about the mounting part. It doesn't mount like a traditional frame pump. It mounts to a bracket that bolts on between the frame and a bottle cage.

unterhausen
02-26-2016, 10:28 AM
isn't that lezyne the one that f-builders often add a spring to for frame mounting? I have always hated hoses though. The Zefals look a little too industrial to me

chiasticon
02-26-2016, 11:30 AM
that lezyne is a solid pump. it's a real alternative to a frame pump. will easily do high pressures, it'll just take longer than a frame pump. i used to use one when my frame had too swoopy of tubes to hold a frame pump. still use it for cross practice rides where I'll want to change pressure at the practice spot, without removing a wheel (the hose helps there).

velomonkey
02-26-2016, 12:20 PM
I actually think the hose thing is a really good idea - I know, it's an affront to the classic silca design, but sometimes design moves forward for good reason.

After about 65 PSI you have to put so much pressure to collapse the pump that the valve is getting worked over - the hose allows you to move the pump around without moving the valve around - you move that valve too much and you will tear it.

The hose plays - the impero just looks killer though.