PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lea Potentially Back for Rio

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 03:56 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/news/reduced-ban-allows-bobby-lea-to-race-in-rio_396574

I'm glad. I still don't see any competitive advantage to Percoset.

shovelhd
02-25-2016, 06:22 PM
I don't think you fully understand the benefits, and why common, legally obtained prescription drugs are the new post-EPO doping frontier.

earlfoss
02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Would you want to be in a race with someone who is messed up on prescription painkillers? It may not be a performance enhancer but banning it sure could help make the race safer.

FlashUNC
02-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Disappointing. I'd like to know why CAS ruled to reduce the suspension.
He does miss Worlds.

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Would you want to be in a race with someone who is messed up on prescription painkillers? It may not be a performance enhancer but banning it sure could help make the race safer.

I respect your opinions -- maybe I'm naive, but I'm unaware of any evidence that he was messed up on them. I'm assuming that the CAS took him at his word that it was an administrative error and not a habit.

Given the legality and prevalence of say, Tramadol during stage races, if he really only took it the night before to sleep, this doesn't seem out of line. The fast and positive resolution, is, however. I'm assuming this is a case of justice going to the guy with expensive lawyers.

cachagua
02-25-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't think you fully understand the benefits, and why common, legally obtained prescription drugs are the new post-EPO doping frontier.

I don't fully understand, for sure. Can you say more?

spartanKid
02-25-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't fully understand, for sure. Can you say more?

I think he's trying to say that the new way to dope is to get a doctor, not necessarily a team doctor, to write a prescription for things like TRT and then using it to dope.

unterhausen
02-25-2016, 08:44 PM
I have a hard time believing that any opioid is a masking agent or helps as a PED

nooneline
02-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Disappointing. I'd like to know why CAS ruled to reduce the suspension.
He does miss Worlds.

Apparently, they reduced it to be in line with suspensions for other medications that are allowed out-of-comp, but banned in-comp. the original 18mo suspension was a shocker.

with the 6 month suspension, he misses a whole world cup season and the world championships during an olympic year.

shovelhd
02-25-2016, 09:54 PM
I have a hard time believing that any opioid is a masking agent or helps as a PED

No world class athlete needs EPO to survive. It's used for sick people that are recovering. However, prescription drugs have legitimate uses for world class athletes, so when a rider gets popped for it, they at least have a prescription, and a reasonable need for it. But that drug is not allowed in competition, for good reason. If everyone is hammering away at the limit, and you don't feel it as much as everyone else, it becomes a PED. Not some exotic drug that you have to import from China, something that you can get at your local CVS. Reducing penalties for those who use drugs allowed for legitimate reasons out of competition, in competition, is what I mean by the new frontier. There is an expectation of leniency, which I totally disagree with. You make a mistake, too bad.

bobswire
02-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Now we can enjoy this once again,thanks to William for originally posting it a couple or years ago. http://video.silverlineathletics.com/services/player/bcpid3608053185001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAB7-FKuHE~%2Ct9-OE3xcuCbESyjvoe1A2Oh7QoTMBiSf&bctid=3624187018001

oldpotatoe
02-27-2016, 06:30 AM

Doesn't matter..it was on the banned list.