PDA

View Full Version : Four NC randonneurs hit by driver

fiamme red
02-25-2016, 01:18 PM
A speedy recovery to all four cyclists. One of them is the former president of RUSA, Mike Dayton.

http://wncn.com/2016/02/23/woman-who-hit-4-cyclists-in-johnston-co-was-on-probation-for-drug-charges/

http://wncn.com/2016/02/22/2-cyclists-released-2-in-icu-at-wakemed-after-getting-hit-by-car-in-johnston-co/

http://wncn.com/2016/02/22/was-she-texting-injured-bike-rider-asks-after-driver-hits-4-johnston-co-bicyclists/

Lawrence, who spoke to WNCN on Skype from his home in High Point, says all four bicyclists were riding in a single file line on the far right side of the road when they were hit.

“We were all wearing safety reflector vests, we all have blinking tail lights,” said Lawrence. “We’re very deliberate and we all have lots of experience. Why she hit us, I don’t know.”

Lawrence says they were traveling a route called the “Carolina Crossroads,” created by Dayton. The route takes them from Downtown Raleigh, through Benson and they turn-around in Godwin. They claim the route is very bike-friendly.

“All the roads are very quiet and there’s hardly any traffic,” said Jerry Phelps, who knows and rides with all four of the victims. “It’s just hard to believe that this happened, especially to those four.”https://mgtvwncn.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/bikes-hit-johnston-county.jpg?w=650

cdn_bacon
02-25-2016, 01:19 PM
oh wow that's some carnage.

sad day. Thoughts are with them.

fiamme red
02-25-2016, 01:23 PM
http://myfox8.com/2016/02/22/high-point-cyclist-among-group-of-bicyclists-hit-by-car-in-johnston-county/

“Chris was talking about his leg being broken and holding his leg,” said Lawrence. “I hurt immediately but I got up because I didn't want to be in the middle of the road but the first thing you are thinking is 'Are my hands still there?'

Lawrence was treated for bruises and scrapes to his hip and elbow but returned home quickly.

On Monday, he visited Bicycle Toy & Hobby in High Point to get his touring bike repaired. He wonders how it looks as good as it does.

“This looks like nothing,” said Lawrence as he mulls over the back end and front tire damage to his bicycle. “The other bikes were destroyed; the other people were destroyed. I walked away from it.”

PaulE
02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Brake pedal wasn't an option considered?

Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene after the crash, officials said.

Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.

Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car was passing in the other direction and she panicked.

“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.

MattTuck
02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
damn. Thoughts are with them. That picture tells a pretty violent story.

fiamme red
02-25-2016, 01:28 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/josh-shaffer/article62039912.html

“For us and many other people, Mike is the archetype of the gentleman cyclist: a leader by example of cycling etiquette, safety and grace,” wrote Ann Groninger, a friend and attorney who specializes in bicycle law. “And he is a whole lot of fun.”

Starting on Saturday, Dayton and three fellow Randonneurs drew prayers from as far away as Canada and Korea. On a 200-kilometer ride from Raleigh to Godwin in Cumberland County, all four were knocked off their bikes by a car that state troopers said struck them from behind while they were riding single-file along the right side of the road.

The most seriously injured, Dayton remained unconscious at WakeMed for many hours until friends reported that he opened his right eye on Monday. Two other riders – Christopher Graham, 34, and Joel Arthur Lawrence, 57 – were discharged with chipped and broken bones while the fourth, Lynn Lashley, 57, reportedly underwent back surgery.

“She’s crushed emotionally as well as physically,” said fellow rider Geof Simons. “She’s wondering if she’s ever going to ride again.”

AngryScientist
02-25-2016, 01:29 PM
wow, that's terrible.

the driver simply MUST have been distracted by something or otherwise impaired. it's pretty hard to use the "i didnt see them" excuse with 4 cyclists who are wearing rando style safety vests.

Ralph
That's a "bike friendly" road? Guess I've lived in the land of bike lanes and 14' wide paved trails too long. Hope all recover soon.

guido
Ouch. Best wishes to the four for a speedy recovery!

Be safe out there kids...

But stuff like this does make the trainer very attractive...

Dead Man
02-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene after the crash, officials said.

Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.

Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car was passing in the other direction and she panicked.

“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.

And this is exactly the way I expect to get it, if it ever happens. I've even heard jackasses make the same comment - "well if it's hit a car head on or run yur ass over, I think you know which way Imma choosin'"

CHOOSE THE BRAKE

btanner
02-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Most drivers who look up the road and see a slow moving vehicle like a tractor immediately ease off the gas. Unfortunately this driver didn't see the cyclists until she was right on top of them but I just can't understand why her immediate reaction isn't to slam on the brakes.

CSi
Legend Ti ST
Mevici SE

Dead Man
02-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Most drivers who look up the road and see a slow moving vehicle like a tractor immediately ease off the gas. Unfortunately this driver didn't see the cyclists until she was right on top of them but I just can't understand why her immediate reaction isn't to slam on the brakes.

I'm envisioning her thinking the appropriate thing to do is split the lane and go around... at speed, so's not to get "stuck" behind them (for all of 15 seconds), and a car just happened to be in the lane already when she moved into it.

Cars often are.

PaulE
02-25-2016, 01:47 PM
And this is exactly the way I expect to get it, if it ever happens. I've even heard jackasses make the same comment - "well if it's hit a car head on or run yur ass over, I think you know which way Imma choosin'"

CHOOSE THE BRAKE

But I expect it to be a 115 pound woman, on her way home from the store with 0.5 ounces of nutmeg, driving a 6,000 lb SUV with a bumper sticker that says "NAMASTE"!

verticaldoug
02-25-2016, 01:54 PM

I dropped onto Massengill Pond/Sue Drive in Angiers NC if this is where the accident occured. I used google street view to drive along the road. Looks straight with long views. Don't see where you'd get a steep hill you could come out on cyclist and not see.

kevinvc
02-25-2016, 02:16 PM
I have so many questions about this sort of incident:
Has it been confirmed that the mom was the driver or is there just the daughter's word that this was the case? Were the cell phone records for everyone in the car checked to see if there were any calls / texts / Candy Crush games at the time of the collision? Was Ms. Williams tested for alcohol / drugs?

I can understand a driver panicking after this. I even get that some people's first thought might be fear for the consequences they will suffer for their negligence. I cannot fathom in any way how someone could strike fellow human beings with their vehicle and continue home. Similarly, I have no pity for her whatsoever.

Stop, call 911, render such aid as possible. Deal with the consequences of your actions. Instead she drove home and hid while her daughter had the minimal decency to return to the scene.

My thoughts and wishes are for a speedy and complete recovery, both physically and mentally, for the riders. I will not speak my hopes for Ms. Williams.

fiamme red
02-25-2016, 02:29 PM
I have so many questions about this sort of incident:
Has it been confirmed that the mom was the driver or is there just the daughter's word that this was the case? Were the cell phone records for everyone in the car checked to see if there were any calls / texts / Candy Crush games at the time of the collision? Was Ms. Williams tested for alcohol / drugs?

I can understand a driver panicking after this. I even get that some people's first thought might be fear for the consequences they will suffer for their negligence. I cannot fathom in any way how someone could strike fellow human beings with their vehicle and continue home. Similarly, I have no pity for her whatsoever.

Stop, call 911, render such aid as possible. Deal with the consequences of your actions. Instead she drove home and hid while her daughter had the minimal decency to return to the scene.I believe that the driver was the only one in the car. She did stay at the scene after the crash, and telephoned her daughter to come.

http://wncn.com/2016/02/22/was-she-texting-injured-bike-rider-asks-after-driver-hits-4-johnston-co-bicyclists/

McElveen said that her mother was “hysterical” when she called her to the scene.

“I really could hardly understand her. She just kept saying ‘Tiffany I hit somebody, I hit somebody.’ She said ‘come down here, come down here.’ I said ‘where you at’. She told me like ten times, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying because she was so hysterical,” Tiffany McElveen said of her mother, who was not injured.

However, Lawrence questions McElveen’s account of the crash. He claims he never saw a car coming the other way.

“Was she texting? Was she fiddling around with something else? Was it just a moment when she looked one way or another? I don’t know,” said Lawrence. “In my own opinion, she probably hit all four of us before she realized that she hit anybody.”

shovelhd
02-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Terrible.

She was a felon drug abuser. Alcohol wasn't a factor, but did they tox screen her?

Exonerv
02-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Exonerv
02-25-2016, 04:00 PM
In NC I feel sure they would have run a blood test for other impairing substances.

Terrible.

She was a felon drug abuser. Alcohol wasn't a factor, but did they tox screen her?

kevinvc
02-25-2016, 04:04 PM
I believe that the driver was the only one in the car. She did stay at the scene after the crash, and telephoned her daughter to come.

Thanks for correcting me. For some reason I read a "not" in the middle of "did stay", both in the posting on the forum and again when I read the linked article.

I especially appreciate you doing so in a polite manner rather than rubbing my nose in such an obvious mistake on my part; I'll have to try to be similarly patient next time I see someone else make a bone-headed mistake.

I meekly retract my comments about hit and run drivers in regards to this incident.

She's still a reckless driver who has permanently altered the lives of several people and their families. In my opinion, she should have her driving privileges permanently revoked in addition to whatever other penalties apply.

p nut
02-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Well, I'm not going to burn her at the stake, because I've done dumb things in life as well. Not to this extent, but dumb, nonetheless.

Hope the cyclists and the driver all recover fully from this.

Mzilliox
02-25-2016, 04:48 PM
What a shame, thoughts and excellent wishes to those involved.

these things are scary indeed, but we must live live to the fullest and do our best to educate.

jvp
02-25-2016, 04:48 PM
It would be interesting to check her phone to see if she called her daughter afterwards, or was talking to her as it happened.

gone
02-25-2016, 05:20 PM
I would happily crucify her (I know some of the riders involved). From the bike law web site (emphasis mine)F:

Tuesday, February 24th: BREAKING NEWS

This afternoon, we learned that the driver will be charged with:

- 4 counts of violating the 2 ft passing law causing serious injury (Class 1 misdemeanors);
- Careless and Reckless driving (Class 2 misdemeanor); and
- Illegal passing on a crest or curve.

These charges are not adequate (even though they could carry some jail time depending on her prior record).

The driver’s conduct, based on our investigation at the scene, should result in felony criminal charges. Among other factors, here are some details that warrant a more serious investigation:

The driver never slowed down, didn’t brake, and never tried to move around the cyclists. She drove straight into them.

While there was an oncoming car in the opposing lane, there was no immediate danger of the cars colliding. When the oncoming driver saw the crash, she immediately stopped her car and was still some distance down the road from the scene of impact.

There was no sight distance issue; the oncoming driver could see the driver coming before the driver reached the cyclists; we stood at the bottom of the hill and could see far beyond the crash scene

After hitting the cyclists, the driver drove another 400 feet or more down the road before stopping.

After stopping, she ran erratically over to the crash scene and started yelling hysterically at the cyclists and telling them to wake up. She continued crying and yelling hysterically for an hour.

According to news reports, the driver is currently is on probation for felony drug charges.

The police did not test the driver for intoxication.

jeduardo
02-25-2016, 05:34 PM
remember being "love tapped" in Holland, NC., and of course the rusty farm-truck driver never stopped
Truly hope that the riders involved heal (physically+mentally) quickly and ready themselves to ride again.

Not a NCar fan by any means but I did notice that Jeff Gordon was the officer (LT) at the scene?

*Update* following the pending charges, I agree w/OP, the proverbial book needs to be tossed at this woman, since she WILL probably behave in a similar manor if given the oppertunity (but may kill this time)

velofinds
02-25-2016, 09:42 PM
This is so terrible.

As a city dweller and someone with admittedly very little road riding experience, are any other city dwellers terrified of riding in the suburbs and exurbs where drivers are cocooned - mentally and physically - and simply do not know how to behave around modes of transportation other than their own? Maybe I'm naive but qualitatively, I actually feel safer riding in NYC (by which I really mean lower to midtown Manhattan) than I do in the suburbs because I believe - again, perhaps falsely - that the city forces drivers to have a heightened state of awareness given the sheer density and all that's happening around them.

pdxharth
02-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Oh , just saw this! I have never met Mike Dayton in person, but we've had many email exchanges and he seems like a truly great guy. If anyone is in the area and has updates, I would really appreciate any information.

I'm sick of this kind of news hurting my heart.

Thanks,
Harth

jtakeda
02-25-2016, 10:24 PM
This is so terrible.

As a city dweller and someone with admittedly very little road riding experience, are any other city dwellers terrified of riding in the suburbs and exurbs where drivers are cocooned - mentally and physically - and simply do not know how to behave around modes of transportation other than their own? Maybe I'm naive but qualitatively, I actually feel safer riding in NYC (by which I really mean lower to midtown Manhattan) than I do in the suburbs because I believe - again, perhaps falsely - that the city forces drivers to have a heightened state of awareness given the sheer density and all that's happening around them.

This is a really amazing perspective. I ride in downtown SF.... A lot. I know SF and Bay Area drivers are some what accustomed to cyclists. I don't really ride out of state so this kind of thought hasn't really occurred to me.

This is a horrible tragedy I hope everyone heals up and I hope the driver gets her license taken away.

BobO
02-25-2016, 10:25 PM
I dropped onto Massengill Pond/Sue Drive in Angiers NC if this is where the accident occured. I used google street view to drive along the road. Looks straight with long views. Don't see where you'd get a steep hill you could come out on cyclist and not see.

I did the same thing, back and forth on that road both ways several times. Her visibility was approx a thousand feet at all times. The claim that she didn't see the cyclists is not rational. The claim that she had rounded a corner over a hill and was surprised is not rational. Being surprised by an oncoming car is not rational. The driver of the car going the other way was able to stop well before reaching the site of the collision. The story being told by the at fault driver holds no water at all. I fully expect to learn that she was distracted and simply ran these poor people over. I believe this is at minimum criminal negligence. I am upset that there was no tox screen or sobriety tests, that was unfair to the victims.

Most of all I hope all of the cyclists make a full recovery.

pstevens
02-26-2016, 03:06 AM
This is terrible and hope for a speedy recovery. I've often thought, when riding into work or back, that when cars overtake on some blind corners on the wrong side of the road what would they do if a car was to come round the bend towards them. Would they go for the car or for me? I'd like to think they would take the less deadly option but in reality it is likely they would go for me. The option of waiting behind to overtake until after the bend (30 seconds max) doesn't even come into the equation. I would say 99% of drivers in my experience on the same bend take the risk. One day I may find out the answer to above question. Be safe everyone whether driving or riding.

sokyroadie
02-26-2016, 05:10 AM
One of our own forum members "temoo663" was one of the 4 hit, he is the Chris that is listed. He has 0 posts but bought a "new never used" Enve fork from me and wanted to know if I had the original receipt. He was going to use Enve's crash program. Unfortunately I bought it from an individual.:(

This is his reply when I asked him if he was hurt:

Broken ankle, broken knee, fractured pelvis. I'll live!

Jeff

oldpotatoe
02-26-2016, 07:21 AM
That's a "bike friendly" road? Guess I've lived in the land of bike lanes and 14' wide paved trails too long. Hope all recover soon.

I guess, 'bike friendly' because of it's frequent use by bikes and lack of traffic, but a wider shoulder would have gone a long way. I ride on roads w/o a wide shoulder seldom these days..

guido
02-26-2016, 08:30 AM
In new england there are very few bike-able roads with wide shoulders...

dzxc
02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
jfc this is awful. and after reading more details about the charges and driver herself, the driver really should have the book thrown at her. here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

merlinmurph
02-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Man, that's an ugly, scary picture.

In new england there are very few bike-able roads with wide shoulders...

I live in the same area as guido. If I only rode on roads with shoulders, I wouldn't ride.

dawgie
02-26-2016, 08:56 AM
It's mind boggling to me that the highway patrol didn't require a blood test. The driver had a known history of substance abuse and it's clear that she had clear sight lines of the road ahead.

BobO
02-26-2016, 09:08 AM
I've often thought, when riding into work or back, that when cars overtake on some blind corners on the wrong side of the road what would they do if a car was to come round the bend towards them.

Emphasis mine.

This situation does not appear to be overtaking on a blind corner or hill. I, and others have reviewed it on Google Earth, Bikelaw has done so in person. There is a consensus that there simply is not a blind corner or hill at that location. This is what the driver saw 1-2 seconds before impact;

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.48369,-78.6136526,3a,75y,298.68h,72.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZAcd6Ac0UnP4n7XT-KOgqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The statements given by the driver are apparently excuses. To make matters worse for her, the car going the other way does not appear to have been an immediate risk factor since it stopped short of the collision site, that driver is a witness to the collision. There are a number of plausible explanations, but the story given does not appear to be among them.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2016, 09:25 AM
It's mind boggling to me that the highway patrol didn't require a blood test. The driver had a known history of substance abuse and it's clear that she had clear sight lines of the road ahead.

Would her past convictions be part of the record at the traffic stop? Could the on scene LEO access this info? Not sure, but I'm guessing yes and 'probable cause' would seem to me indicate a test for substance abuse. I'm pretty sure her phone records will be accessed also..for texting at the time of the accident.

Also sounds like somebody coached her to be hysterical if she found herself to be in this situation(daughter?).

When I got nailed at 10:30 AM by a lady that admitted to falling asleep(at 10:30 AM), the highway patrol guy didn't test her ether(??)..

audi666
02-26-2016, 09:39 AM
One of our own forum members "temoo663" was one of the 4 hit, he is the Chris that is listed. He has 0 posts but bought a "new never used" Enve fork from me and wanted to know if I had the original receipt. He was going to use Enve's crash program. Unfortunately I bought it from an individual.:(

Jeff

I talked to Chris the other day through PM as well... I had just sold him the Indy Fab frame he was on. Seriously disturbing news... theres not anything more to do while riding in a paceline with reflective gear and lights. I wish everyone a fast recovery.

i am curious as the person hit by a driver can you ask/demand that someones toxicity be evaluated? I assume this could be different in each state.

Gummee
02-26-2016, 09:39 AM
I guess, 'bike friendly' because of it's frequent use by bikes and lack of traffic, but a wider shoulder would have gone a long way. I ride on roads w/o a wide shoulder seldom these days..

No such thing as a shoulder in this part of VA. Most of the roads I ride on pre-date cars.

You'd think with the minimal amount of traffic I'm dealing with that people would be courteous, but alas... that's not my reality

M

unterhausen
02-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Seriously disturbing news... theres not anything more to do while riding in a paceline with reflective gear and lights. I wish everyone a fast recovery.
according to an interview I saw with one of the riders, they really weren't that close together, she was going too fast and collected them up. You oftentimes see randos riding together and not really in a paceline. Used to frustrate me a little, but I've gotten used to it. Makes it even more disturbing

frank_h
02-26-2016, 09:49 AM
I talked to Chris the other day through PM as well... I had just sold him the Indy Fab frame he was on. Seriously disturbing news... theres not anything more to do while riding in a paceline with reflective gear and lights. I wish everyone a fast recovery.

i am curious as the person hit by a driver can you ask/demand that someones toxicity be evaluated? I assume this could be different in each state.

I am not sure on the legality of such a request, but I would assume you'd be best to try and ask an on scene officer.

However, this could be difficult to do on scene if you are being tended to be paramedics and first responders.

Ridden with Chris before and from what I've heard through teammates, it didn't seem like a situation where a request like that would have been possible, or on the minds of the riders.

It's been pretty crazy around NC with these sorts of crashes. :(

BobO
02-26-2016, 10:10 AM
according to an interview I saw with one of the riders, they really weren't that close together, she was going too fast and collected them up. You oftentimes see randos riding together and not really in a paceline. Used to frustrate me a little, but I've gotten used to it. Makes it even more disturbing

They were close enough together to be caught up in the same incident. Joel Lawrence has stated that he was concerned about hitting the back wheel of another cyclist during the incident. I don't know this for sure, but it appears that the cyclists position on the road was not a factor.

audi666
02-26-2016, 10:17 AM
I am not sure on the legality of such a request, but I would assume you'd be best to try and ask an on scene officer.

However, this could be difficult to do on scene if you are being tended to be paramedics and first responders.

Ridden with Chris before and from what I've heard through teammates, it didn't seem like a situation where a request like that would have been possible, or on the minds of the riders.

It's been pretty crazy around NC with these sorts of crashes. :(

I agree that it is not something that is usually easy to do or what you as a victim should have to think about, but after being involved personally or through loved ones in bike-car accidents in my opinion you DO have to go out of your way even if injured at the scene. This is personal experience based mostly in a city environment which is a bit different but people getting into accidents and not knowing what to do, take pictures of, the correct information to get, etc… can really lead to some crappy situations later down the road.

makoti
02-26-2016, 10:47 AM

I wish it was that simple. Every time I've gotten plunked, it's been while in a nice, wide shoulder. I sometimes think that a narrow road is safer because it demands attention.

btanner
02-26-2016, 11:01 AM
I wish it was that simple. Every time I've gotten plunked, it's been while in a nice, wide shoulder. I sometimes think that a narrow road is safer because it demands attention.

Agreed. Often, at least in New England, a shoulder is associated with higher speed limits. I do my best to stay on rural roads and mix in dirt too. Then of course you're more likely to "share" the road with rednecks who make a sport of discarding empty bud light cans everywhere.

CSi
Legend Ti ST
Mevici SE

BobO
02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Then of course you're more likely to "share" the road with rednecks who make a sport of discarding empty bud light cans everywhere.

You get empties? Wow, you're lucky. Most of the cans tossed at me here were half full.

fiamme red
02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
I guess, 'bike friendly' because of it's frequent use by bikes and lack of traffic, but a wider shoulder would have gone a long way. I ride on roads w/o a wide shoulder seldom these days..Wide shoulders are no guarantee of safety. A cyclist was struck by a hit-and-run driver a few days ago on North Foothills Highway north of Boulder, with a very generous shoulder.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_29552673/cyclist-struck-hit-and-run-north-boulder-remains

I think that drivers are more likely to text on straight, flat roads with a wide shoulder.

ultraman6970
02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Who drives a cavalier now a days?? Thought those were gone already, wont be hard to find the car if in state.

dougefresh
02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
According to news reports, the driver is currently is on probation for felony drug charges.

The police did not test the driver for intoxication.

yep. HERE (http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/viewoffender.do?method=view&offenderID=1387479&searchLastName=Williams&searchFirstName=Donnie&listurl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1)is her current public offender record.

gone
02-26-2016, 03:17 PM
yep. HERE (http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/viewoffender.do?method=view&offenderID=1387479&searchLastName=Williams&searchFirstName=Donnie&listurl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1)is her current public offender record.

That's the part that really chaps my ass. You know they ran her license and saw the priors and yet they didn't order toxicology even though she was acting erratically according to witnesses? Pure negligence on the part of the cops on the scene. Admittedly, it wouldn't do a damn thing to help the victims but at least she'd get more than the handslap she's likely going to receive.

BobO
02-26-2016, 03:38 PM
That's the part that really chaps my ass. You know they ran her license and saw the priors and yet they didn't order toxicology even though she was acting erratically according to witnesses? Pure negligence on the part of the cops on the scene. Admittedly, it wouldn't do a damn thing to help the victims but at least she'd get more than the handslap she's likely going to receive.

To be fair, we don't know that her record would come up on that database. It could be only for current outstanding warrants and the like.

malcolm
02-26-2016, 03:46 PM
I certainly don't know the law, but it would seem to me that this day and age anyone involved in a traffic incident involving injury should be drug and alcohol tested.
Work for a company of any size and get hurt on the job and you'll certainly be tested.

gone
02-26-2016, 03:58 PM
To be fair, we don't know that her record would come up on that database. It could be only for current outstanding warrants and the like.
Were I a LEO, I'd sure as heck want all the info I could get on an individual at the scene (is this person a convicted felon/murderer? Record as an armed criminal? etc) but fair enough, I don't know that the database they run drivers licenses against has that info.

Having said that, running over 4 cyclists riding single file on the far right side of the road with a 1000' sight line then acting erratically would seem to me to be probable cause for ordering toxicology.

As I said, failure to have done so means she's gonna get squat, even with her priors. 30-60 days tops, if that. My guess is she also has minimum liability insurance, assuming she's insured at all, which for NC is $30K per person, $60K max. Dayton probably ran up that much on his first day in ICU.

OtayBW
02-26-2016, 04:00 PM

I certainly don't know the law, but it would seem to me that this day and age anyone involved in a traffic incident involving injury should be drug and alcohol tested.
Work for a company of any size and get hurt on the job and you'll certainly be tested.
Damn right! W-T-F? Really!

ripvanrando
02-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Chris....check your PM. I have an extra Enve fork for a fellow Rando.

Jeff

makoti
02-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Chris....check your PM. I have an extra Enve fork for a fellow Rando.

I love this place.

BobO
02-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Were I a LEO, I'd sure as heck want all the info I could get on an individual at the scene (is this person a convicted felon/murderer? Record as an armed criminal? etc) but fair enough, I don't know that the database they run drivers licenses against has that info.

The reality is that many convictions are possible that would have literally no bearing on the situation. Presenting too much information may be counter-productive. That said, I have no idea what could be requested.

Having said that, running over 4 cyclists riding single file on the far right side of the road with a 1000' sight line then acting erratically would seem to me to be probable cause for ordering toxicology.

Ya, that would seem obvious and I'm still upset that it wasn't done. It makes you wonder if she's Deputy BillyJoeBob's cousin.

As I said, failure to have done so means she's gonna get squat, even with her priors. 30-60 days tops, if that.

Pfft, 60 days suspended sentence at the most.

My guess is she also has minimum liability insurance, assuming she's insured at all, which for NC is $30K per person, $60K max. Dayton probably ran up that much on his first day in ICU.

Has anyone heard about anywhere to donate to the med bills?

Peter P.
02-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Also sounds like somebody coached her to be hysterical if she found herself to be in this situation(daughter?).

I agree. When people disassociate themselves from the situation and direct their attention away from it such as calling the daughter to come to the scene, I question their concern for the victims as well as whether she knows how to game the system.

ripvanrando
02-26-2016, 06:27 PM
I agree. When people disassociate themselves from the situation and direct their attention away from it such as calling the daughter to come to the scene, I question their concern for the victims as well as whether she knows how to game the system.

I agree.

I questioned why she stopped so far up the road, called her daughter, and only then came to her crash scene.

Why didn't she call 911 or offer help to her victims?

When I read she had a felony drug record, I wondered and wondered some more.

oldpotatoe
02-27-2016, 06:35 AM

I don't get this. Allow the bike to be further from the flow of traffic. being IN the flow of traffic, left of the white line, doesn't make one safer, IMHO. I know each place we ride is different but there are many wide shoulders on all types of roads around here, not just high speed ones.

'Demands attention', from car driver?....that's almost funny(sick) these days.

For that teenie bopper, texting while driving, with a bunch of classmates, radio blaring...I'll take a shoulder, thanks..

cv1966
02-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Agreed Old P. In NC where I live cycling lanes are pretty much non-existent. Cyclists are still a relative rarity and cars aren't always patient enough to pass carefully. Best option is to ride on the most remote roads you can find. Luckily those are the best ones anyway.

ripvanrando
02-27-2016, 06:13 PM
I'm not from NC but have done 2,000 Km worth of Brevets in NC (some of which were with these four Randos). I have found the roads to be narrow and generally without shoulders at all. I also thought the drivers out in the country were very courteous and friendly. They waited until it was safe to pass. I could not believe how many churches there are down in the country in NC. Now, the dogs and no leash laws are another story....no love there.

My technique on these quiet, high speed country roads is to ride 18-24 inches from the white line. When I hear a car, I will move slightly back and forth within that 24 inch zone as if I am weaving. Movement and a flashing tailight seems to get the motorists attention; nonetheless, I move right onto the white line just before they pass but typically I hear them slow down and I know I'm ok. I never have a problem at night because I am so visible from so far away and actually prefer riding at night.

I was run right off the road on similar roads last year, both times by trucks that came back in too soon and brushed me off into the grass. Once in California on a descent and another time in Virginia or maybe West Virginia, I recall the faint sound of banjos strumming in the distance. I have had about 6 close calls (three of which could have been game over) in the past year and I guess having ridden with three of these Randos just a couple weeks ago in NC on a Brevet has just really hit me hard.

malcolm
02-28-2016, 09:05 AM
The problem with these run over from behind situations is it's always a distracted driver, you may have that one percent that had the sun in their eyes or sneezed or whatever but 99% is a distracted driver usually texting and often impaired. Leave impaired out of it and it's the age old it'll never happen to me. Everyone texting and driving thinks they are perfectly capable of doing it and it's those folks that hit people that can't, human nature. Now add in impaired and who knows what to make of that, these folks have already proven they are only thinking of themselves.
To assume no shoulder somehow makes people that would text and drive consider not doing it is faulty logic. The very fact that they do it at all means they've not considered it. The shoulder at least gives them some time to recover or the cyclist some time to become aware of them.

Anti texting laws will be difficult to enforce and I doubt law enforcement will make much attempt until society as a whole has had enough. Right now it's still the other guy's problem

temoo663
03-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Thank you guys for all the support and kind words. Figure since I'm buying all this stuff I should post. Wish I could be posting under different conditions. I'm just hoping for speedy recoveries for Mike and Lynn

Chris

oddsaabs
03-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Chris,

Please keep us informed if there's any way to help or contribute. I'm sure theres lots of folks here who want to see both a speedy recovery as well as justice served.

temoo663
03-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Chris,

Please keep us informed if there's any way to help or contribute. I'm sure theres lots of folks here who want to see both a speedy recovery as well as justice served.

I believe there is a go fund me page for us four riders. Don't want to break any rules by posting link but I'm pretty sure one can search the page. If you can't find feel free to pm me for more info. As far as justice I'm afraid that one I'd out of my hands.

Chris

Chris

oddsaabs
03-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Chris might be shy about posting a link to their Go Fund Me sight but I'm not.

If your so inclined, I'm sure they could use a hand.

https://www.gofundme.com/grahamandcomrades

temoo663
03-20-2016, 08:06 AM
Big thanks to everyone so far.