PDA

View Full Version : Blatant disregard for rider's safety.

Lewis Moon
02-25-2016, 08:49 AM
A speedbump in the effing finish turn (http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/news/final-turn-speed-bump-crash-provence_396436)

Motos taking down riders, barrier legs protruding into traffic, idiots taking selfies in front of the pack, cars on the course, now this.

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2016/02/20165355-301287-660x440.jpg

I'm not a litigious type but someone needs to sue. That seems to be the only thing that makes some folks actually give a damn about other people's safety.

MattTuck
02-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what the current set up is, but it seems like there is a pretty simple solution.

You have a group of riders (or former riders) who are either appointed/elected who form a safety committee. They pre-ride the course, or atleast inspect it from a car, and make a determination if it is safe for the riders in the race. They sign off on it, or publicly report what the problems are with the course.

bcroslin
02-25-2016, 09:02 AM
that is just crazy. why would the team directors allow that section to be part of the final sprint? that's the race promoters telling the athletes that their safety isn't their concern.

nooneline
02-25-2016, 09:03 AM
The sad thing is that I'm SURE there's a UCI rule about this - but this is certainly a failure of the on-the-ground commissaire whose job it is to do course inspection.

That would never fly for a local crit.

Separately - Gaviria 'gifting' the win to his leadout man Martinelli was kind of sweet, and judging by Martinelli's reaction, Gaviria has secured Martinelli's uncompromised loyalty for all future leadouts. I'm pretty sure that's worth a few extra watts straight from the heart and gut in future sprints.

Dr Luxurious
02-25-2016, 09:07 AM
that's just dumb.
who ever thought that up should be strapped to a motorcycle with the throttle pinned wide open and sent through that corner.
dumass.

JStonebarger
02-25-2016, 09:09 AM
How did the speed bump cause the crash? In the video the rider clearly slides out before the speed bump. Am I missing something?

chiasticon
02-25-2016, 09:12 AM
and I thought the sand stage of the Vuelta was bad

nooneline
02-25-2016, 09:29 AM
How did the speed bump cause the crash? In the video the rider clearly slides out before the speed bump. Am I missing something?

well, you're right, the rider definitely slid out before the speed bump. but it's also probable that the rider took the turn however he did because he was thinking about the speed bump on the exit; and however the rider took the turn caused him to crash.

carpediemracing
02-25-2016, 10:21 AM

+1

The rider is on the deck before he got to the speed bump. The others are fine, just a few get caught up in him and his bouncing bike.

On the other hand a speed bump in the last turn 110 meters from the line just sounds stupid.

And not having 200m of somewhat straight before the line is typical for normal finishes. I think it used to be a rule in the US, don't know if it is now.

carpediemracing
02-25-2016, 10:24 AM
That rider came in visibly faster than the others. There's dust too, so that probably contributed. Even a little bit of dust can deck a good rider.

Red Tornado
02-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Ya OK. The rider came in too hot and slid, there was sand/dust in the corner, whatever. Perfectly good reasons why he went down prior to the speed bump.
But the glaring issue for me here is: THERE'S A SPEED BUMP IN THE FINAL TURN OF A SPRINT FINISH.
Like a previous reply stated, that would never fly in a crit or race in my neck of the woods. Promoter/officials would be hearing from the riders before the start of the race. Absolutely no way this crap should be done in a pro race either. Keeping with the concept of the riders racing/behaving like professionals - the promoters should do the same - that includes a safe course laid out with some common sense. We're not talking about some highly sophisticated formula or concept, just common sense.
SMH

Veloo
02-25-2016, 11:47 PM
A speed bump would be inexcusable even for a local amateur race.

unterhausen
02-26-2016, 12:21 AM
I think it's a traffic table and not a speed bump, they are much wider. It looks to me that they hit the upslope pretty close to where the rider went down, so it could have caused the problems.

velotrack
02-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Even if the rider was going in fast, man. That's just silly.

Black Dog
02-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Where is the body of the riderless bike? :eek: