PDA

View Full Version : 330 miles, 2 days, on a bike for $600K

oldpotatoe
02-25-2016, 06:35 AM
And even lance is gonna 'help' him.

http://bikesy.co.uk/features/fitness/can-dan-bilzerian-ride-330-miles-from-la-to-vegas-in-48-hours-gets-600000-if-he-can

tigoat
02-25-2016, 07:14 AM
For a hardcore cyclist, this challenge would be boring. Since he is not a cyclist it will be interesting to follow. One month of training is not gonna be enough for such endurance event even for a serious biker. Did the challenge disallow drug enhanced performance? With drugs, he might make it fine.

christian
02-25-2016, 07:18 AM
Is he in decent shape, does he have a Brooks saddle? This seems trivial to me. It'll suck but can easily be done.

joosttx
02-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Him being a former navy seal is a plus. Him having to heart attacks is a minus. I think he can stay up for 48 and ride 7 mph/hr to do the deed.

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 07:24 AM
The guy is in good shape, it's still going to be challenging but he will be fine. I would do it for $100

Tickdoc
02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Day one.... Awesome job, bro.

Day two.....embrace the suck.

bcroslin
02-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Him being a former navy seal is a plus. Him having to heart attacks is a minus. I think he can stay up for 48 and ride 7 mph/hr to do the deed.

I don't think he was actually a seal. Wait, quick google check, nope, not a seal.

I think he's toast and it should be pretty spectacular to watch. Even if he is a fellow gator he's still a gigantic douche.

ultraman6970
02-25-2016, 07:49 AM
IMO yes he can, not super fast but it can be done. Will suck ? hell yeah :D

livingminimal
02-25-2016, 08:03 AM
he's still a gigantic douche.

Yup. ···· that dude. Good company for LA.

christian
02-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Douche or not, this is just about sucking it up. I think you can ride a bike for 7mph for 48 hours no problem, especially if you have RV support, a masseuse, motorcycle outriders for drinks, etc. 24 hours would be tough as nuts, though.

Hilltopperny
02-25-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm sure that he will be fully stocked on top of the line peds. He is already fit and will have the best training and drugs money can buy. If he had to do it naturally I would say probably not, but it's definitely possible.

rwsaunders
02-25-2016, 08:36 AM

To be selected for the SEAL program is impressive but he didn't make it through the program (75-80% fail) and he was never commissioned.

mistermo
02-25-2016, 08:38 AM
At times there's unbelievable tailwinds going from LA to LV. He could coast for much of it.

fuzzalow
02-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Stupid spectacle aimed at the indifferent mass market who don't know dick about stunts like this as being fairly ordinary rather than superhuman. Sure 330 miles over 48 hours is not a walk in the park but I'd guess the physical effort and outlay isn't much beyond an Ironman-caliber triathlon as competitions contested within a day.

The hook into the attention-center of the dumbass brain is not the physical challenge, it is the $600k. That might look like a lotta money but it is just a device to get the mass-market spectator-sport-dumbass to pay attention. And getting eyeballs is where it is at, some way to monetize a stunt like this can always be found. Here, the money implies & validates to the athletically ignorant dumbass that 330 miles is a daunting challenge - where in actuality for this stunt the money is just the hook.

These guys are gamblers, they know how misdirection works and holds true to one of the gimmicks of gambling: the idea that the invention of gambling was smart but that the invention of the gambling chip was genius.

kppolich
02-25-2016, 08:54 AM
he doesn't really have the cyclist build but is in decent shape and has 2 days. easy money

http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/s--MXVf_8Ix--/t_xlarge_l/f_auto,fl_lossy,q_75/v1433942483/dan-bilzerian-leg-day-photo.jpg

soulspinner
02-25-2016, 09:00 AM
he doesn't really have the cyclist build but is in decent shape and has 2 days. easy money

http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/s--MXVf_8Ix--/t_xlarge_l/f_auto,fl_lossy,q_75/v1433942483/dan-bilzerian-leg-day-photo.jpg

hard to see a he there...

crownjewelwl
02-25-2016, 09:02 AM
skipped leg day

Mr. Pink
02-25-2016, 09:05 AM
I bought a bumper sticker last week. It says, Stop Making Stupid People Famous.

verticaldoug
02-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Stupid spectacle aimed at the indifferent mass market who don't know dick about stunts like this as being fairly ordinary rather than superhuman. Sure 330 miles over 48 hours is not a walk in the park but I'd guess the physical effort and outlay isn't much beyond an Ironman-caliber triathlon as competitions contested within a day.

The hook into the attention-center of the dumbass brain is not the physical challenge, it is the $600k. That might look like a lotta money but it is just a device to get the mass-market spectator-sport-dumbass to pay attention. And getting eyeballs is where it is at, some way to monetize a stunt like this can always be found. Here, the money implies & validates to the athletically ignorant dumbass that 330 miles is a daunting challenge - where in actuality for this stunt the money is just the hook.

These guys are gamblers, they know how misdirection works and holds true to one of the gimmicks of gambling: the idea that the invention of gambling was smart but that the invention of the gambling chip was genius.

Pretty long history of side bets on athletic feats at the professional table in Poker, backgammon, etc.

It should be surprisingly close. That is how these usually play out. Anyone want a side wager?

oldpotatoe
02-25-2016, 09:07 AM
I don't think he was actually a seal. Wait, quick google check, nope, not a seal.

I think he's toast and it should be pretty spectacular to watch. Even if he is a fellow gator he's still a gigantic douche.

No payback if he fails...it ought to be a bet...or the $ goes to a charity or something. I think he won't make it. Physically he probably could but at about 250 miles, mentally he will crump.

JamesEsq
02-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Eenie, meenie, minie, moe . . .

makoti
02-25-2016, 09:34 AM

I need one of those.
I've done 200 in 12 hours. I think 130 more in 26 hours should be possible. I wish someone would offer me that much to do something this basic. It's 8.5 mph AND you sleep for 8 hours. Maybe I'll challenge him that whatever time he does, I'll beat it & he gives me the $600k.

josephr
02-25-2016, 09:54 AM
my longest ride ever was 150 in 14 hours....I think with 30 days I could make it but his training schedule looks weak....10 miles on 1st day? Going across the desert is going to be the hard part --- maintaining adequate hydration to process the fuels...doubt he'll have adequately adjusted to dry climates in just 30 days.

if I were a betting person, I'd take the DNF.

R3awak3n
02-25-2016, 10:03 AM
my longest ride ever was 150 in 14 hours....I think with 30 days I could make it but his training schedule looks weak....10 miles on 1st day? Going across the desert is going to be the hard part --- maintaining adequate hydration to process the fuels...doubt he'll have adequately adjusted to dry climates in just 30 days.

if I were a betting person, I'd take the DNF.

this dude is super competitive, I think he will definitely do it even if its for the extra instagram likes

azrider
02-25-2016, 10:06 AM
dude is such a wanker.....

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12747656_1729186733978131_1086804803_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTE4ODIzNTE5MTc2MjU2NTMyMg%3D%3D.2

goonster
02-25-2016, 10:11 AM
He'll do it, but since his gear will be chosen primarily by how awesome it looks on Instagram he will suffer royally, and that is definitely worth $600k of someone else's money to me.

bcroslin
02-25-2016, 10:13 AM
A good friend of mine did 425 miles in 24 hours but his low mileage weeks are 300+ and he regularly does 500+ mile weeks for fun. And he is a former professional skateboarder who took up road and mtb riding about 10 years ago. He has the genetics AND the mental toughness required to complete insanely long rides. Bilzerian has the wrong kind of fitness and he might think he's mentally tough but I bet he craters at the end of the first day.

jmoore
02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
11+k feet of climbing is what is going to make him suffer. And if he doesn't choose his saddle correctly.

carpediemracing
02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
If he does the ride in the evening/nights it would help.

I've never ridden between the two areas but I've driven it. I think there are some pretty decent climbs at first? Then it's rolling and then flat. The wind I think will be brutal, if it's windy whenever he rides.

I think the first day will be doable. The second day will be horrible.

I don't run but every now and then my sis-in-law drags me to do a workout with her. She wants to see what stuff I can do on the bike (not much if it's not sprinting). She's a runner so I get on a treadmill. Easiest thing to do for me is hit the "5k" button and just do 5k as fast as I can. I couldn't walk for the next 3 or 4 days. I can't imagine doing essentially a marathon and then waking up and having to do a substantial portion of that again. I wonder if I can do a marathon untrained, like right now. I do know that if I do the marathon I won't be walking the next day, that's for sure.

Apparently steroids work more on upper body stuff, hence the "skipped the leg day" jokes for those big guys. I don't remember where I read that but it was in the last year or so.

Tony T
02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Reminded me of this guy: https://www.facebook.com/fatguyacrossamerica

azrider
02-25-2016, 10:28 AM
A good friend of mine did 425 miles in 24 hours but his low mileage weeks are 300+ and he regularly does 500+ mile weeks for fun. And he is a former professional skateboarder who took up road and mtb riding about 10 years ago. He has the genetics AND the mental toughness required to complete insanely long rides. Bilzerian has the wrong kind of fitness and he might think he's mentally tough but I bet he craters at the end of the first day.

His blatant admittance to an addiction of Adderall will keep suffice for his lack of mental toughness.........dude will be doped to the gills for this

stien
02-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Why wouldn't he do it on a TT bike? I'd want to be as aero as possible, and just use the training time to get used to the position.

bicycletricycle
02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
I did not know anything about this guy till now.

looks like he is just a rich kid?

Ill go with not going to make it.

severe cramping and an inability to hold his head up after too many hours in the saddle in his sweet race position.

JAGI410
02-25-2016, 11:21 AM
He'll be so high on cocaine he won't even know he's on a bike.

He may be a douche, but he's living the dream! His Instagram feed is always entertaining.

gdw
02-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Trump's running mate?

paredown
02-25-2016, 11:41 AM
<snip>

severe cramping and an inability to hold his head up after too many hours in the saddle in his sweet race position.

...this, and bonking. Those of us who've had it happen at inopportune times know what that feels like--fall off your bike at the side of the road and lay in a quivering mass...

While in theory, a lot of what gets you through a challenge like this is mental, sometimes the body just screams "ENOUGH" and you are done.

bewheels
02-25-2016, 11:49 AM
First I will state that I had never heard of this guy until this post. Now I am going to make a 'internet statement'...meaning - based on nothing but speculation, association, and generalizations...

It should not be underestimated the type of stimulants and other mind/body altering substances that will likely be involved in this effort.
Need to stay awake? No problem
Need more energy? No problem
Need to forget about those pains, open sores, and other injuries? No problem

Just another weekend...

azrider
02-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Got a huge inheiratance from his crooked dad who did prison time for tax evasion and stock fraud. With it he's turned himself into a prof gambler.

he's living the dream!

different strokes for different fokes I guess............

bcroslin
02-25-2016, 01:05 PM
I did not know anything about this guy till now.

Ill go with not going to make it.

He's the offspring of this crooked SOB: Paul Bilzerian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bilzerian)

beeatnik
02-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Why wouldn't he do it on a TT bike? I'd want to be as aero as possible, and just use the training time to get used to the position.

40mph winds through Barstow

goonster
02-25-2016, 01:16 PM
This seems trivial to me. It'll suck but can easily be done.

I've finished every 600+ km brevet I've ever started, but none of them were easy or trivial. If it were so easy, nobody would ever DNF one.

Now, this is a slightly different proposition:
- shorter
- more time (for sleep and meals)
- no rolling control closures
- RAAM-level support (but w. drugs!)
- monetary incentive

Years ago, a relative cycling n00b joined us for a 600 km brevet through the Hudson Valley and Catskills. This guy was a regionally competitive Masters middle distance runner, but had never ridden his bike more than ~70 mi in one shot. He was out of his comfort zone fairly quickly, but otherwise doing great until about 150 miles in, "twang!", he tore a Very Important Tendon. Game over.

Nutrition can be tricky to get right too. You can plan all you want, but everybody has slightly different needs after a certain point. If you can't keep food down, and are more than x miles out, game over.

I've twice ridden 600 km brevets with minimal preparation, i.e. no prior brevets that season. They went fine, but that's with the benefit of regular club rides and many years of long-distance experience.

I'd put his probability of success at 0.7, but he's going to regret getting himself into this many times over.

jmal
02-25-2016, 02:25 PM
I've finished every 600+ km brevet I've ever started, but none of them were easy or trivial. If it were so easy, nobody would ever DNF one.

Now, this is a slightly different proposition:
- shorter
- more time (for sleep and meals)
- no rolling control closures
- RAAM-level support (but w. drugs!)
- monetary incentive

Years ago, a relative cycling n00b joined us for a 600 km brevet through the Hudson Valley and Catskills. This guy was a regionally competitive Masters middle distance runner, but had never ridden his bike more than ~70 mi in one shot. He was out of his comfort zone fairly quickly, but otherwise doing great until about 150 miles in, "twang!", he tore a Very Important Tendon. Game over.

Nutrition can be tricky to get right too. You can plan all you want, but everybody has slightly different needs after a certain point. If you can't keep food down, and are more than x miles out, game over.

I've twice ridden 600 km brevets with minimal preparation, i.e. no prior brevets that season. They went fine, but that's with the benefit of regular club rides and many years of long-distance experience.

I'd put his probability of success at 0.7, but he's going to regret getting himself into this many times over.

I'm in this camp. I'm a little surprised how many people blow this off as an easy task. It's doable, but I think it will require quite a bit of luck.

azrider
02-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Perkins is now offering LA $200,000, same rules as Dan

Mikej
02-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Perkins is now offering LA $200,000, same rules as Dan

Well, there goes at least 200k...

CunegoFan
02-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Looks like an easy $200K for Lance.

goonster
02-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Lance has to maintain 18.5 pace for 286 mi, and he is out of shape.

The "rules" don't say anything about drafting, so there's always that . . .

azrider
02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
The "rules"

Have rules been mentioned somewhere?

CunegoFan
02-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Lance has to maintain 18.5 pace for 286 mi, and he is out of shape.

The "rules" don't say anything about drafting, so there's always that . . .

He is in excellent trail running condition. That plus a month of on-bike training and it should not be a problem.

christian
02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Goonster - what % DNF because of the 40 hour cutoff, not injury or mechanical? I guess I think this is easier, because you can ride well, well, well below even 50% of AT.

The longest I've ever done was something like 225 miles in 24 hours. I was getting pretty sore, but if $600k was on the line, I could've knocked out another 100 miles in the next 24 hours I think. I did not have RV support, a masseuse, motorcycle outriders with Finnish energy drinks. I drink a beer every hour and eat donuts from Sheets.

buddybikes
02-25-2016, 03:09 PM
2 heart attacks? Sick (in more ways than one).

600g's - he'll probably get run off road 1 hour from finish..

beeatnik
02-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Christian, you also had about 100,000 miles of base

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 03:52 PM
PCH Randonneurs has run a similar route in the other direction from Orange County and from Joshua Tree. The wind can be awful in either direction but if he gets the right one, it will be a nice push.

11,000 feet is nothing for a 600k. We have 200s with that much in San Diego.

I don't think it's that hard for a reasonable fit individual. He's going to have some pain in the ass and shoulders and arms because he's not used to the bike but most cyclists should be able to pull this off if they have to.

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Goonster - what % DNF because of the 40 hour cutoff, not injury or mechanical? I guess I think this is easier, because you can ride well, well, well below even 50% of AT.

The longest I've ever done was something like 225 miles in 24 hours. I was getting pretty sore, but if $600k was on the line, I could've knocked out another 100 miles in the next 24 hours I think. I did not have RV support, a masseuse, motorcycle outriders with Finnish energy drinks. I drink a beer every hour and eat donuts from Sheets.

In my experience, there are very few DNFs on 600ks. It's a self-selected group and most have just done a monthly 200, 300, 400 sequence that prepared them. I've quit one, but it was a triple loop and the first time I was back to my car, I said eff it. If I had to, I could have finished.

onsight512
02-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Could that trip be made w/out riding on major highways (I-15, etc.)?

goonster
02-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Goonster - what % DNF because of the 40 hour cutoff, not injury or mechanical?
I'd say it is primarily fatigue, digestion, injury (tendinitis, knee issues, etc.), in that order, with challenging terrain and weather a major contributing factor.

Very few hors delay (time limit) or mechanicals.

You can ride 50% below AT on paper, but not if you are grinding into an all-day headwind, pedaling downhill into eastern Washington updrafts, or trying to make up for a nav error.

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 04:49 PM

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1247208

Louis
02-25-2016, 04:51 PM
The guy is in decent shape.

He should be able to get his equipment choices and position dialed in in about 2 weeks no problems. Another week to get nutrition and hydration figured out. Plus he's going to get lots of good advice (assuming he talks to the right people, not idiots).

Unless he hurts himself training it seems to me he ought to be able to do it without too much of a problem. The last 100 miles won't be fun, but it sounds doable to me.

christian
02-25-2016, 04:59 PM

Riding on I-15 is legal for its entire length in California, as there are no ready alternate routes. In Nevada, he may use I-15 until exit 12 in Jean, where he would have to take S. Las Vegas Blvd. Again, would suck, but most direct route by far.

PeregrineA1
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Google Maps takes one through the Mohave Nat'l Preserve. Those roads and National Trails are some seriously degraded pavement. Route is on 15 leaving Baker and into Jean, which would indeed be misery between the likely wind, semi-trucks, and crap on the shoulder.

50/50 is my vote.

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Riding on I-15 is legal for its entire length in California, as there are no ready alternate routes. In Nevada, he may use I-15 until exit 12 in Jean, where he would have to take S. Las Vegas Blvd. Again, would suck, but most direct route by far.

See above. The infamous PCH Las Vegas to LA 600k didn't use 15 at all. Links to the cue sheets are here:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=93380

Louis
02-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Obviously things are different, from playboy-gambler types to everyday cycling schmo's like us, but how much risk (Heart Attack), pain (sore butt, screaming muscles), and permanent body injury (f'd up knee) would one we wiling to risk for $600k?

I'd say a fair amount, but not an insane amount. Especially the heart attack thing. I'd be sure to ask my doctor what he thought.

fuzzalow
02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Pretty long history of side bets on athletic feats at the professional table in Poker, backgammon, etc.

It should be surprisingly close. That is how these usually play out. Anyone want a side wager?

This entire charade has got "reality TV" written all over it. And they could monetize the entire fiction by selling sponsorships and packaging the entire thing as a reality episode for the cable outlets.

They can cheese it up by making a big fuss over the $600k amount of the bet - how much is "on the line", blah, blah blah. They should have 2 matching Halliburton briefcases at the finish line with the cash inside, armed guards and the build up on how one guy walks away with all of it! Tirelessly repeat "$1.2m in cash!". 'Cos the idiots that watch reality tv won't believe there is so much gosh darn money just sittin' there. HaHa! YeeHaw, I sure wish I had summa all dat money!

A side wager on this is about as real as betting on which side wins battle scenes in Star Wars. The script possibilities on this one are bountiful. There's no real bet here and if they run the spectacle right, these two Jokers (get it?) both win.

You got that right! In truth though, the ones making the shows aren't the stupid ones.

sailorboy
02-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Though it could represent questionable judgement on my part, I just spent a few minutes reading his wikipedia page...what a gigantic a$$hat. Karma would probably dictate that something awful happens to him on this ride.

I may have been on staff at BUDs when he was there. Don't remember him tho.

sparky33
02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
I would do it for $100

or for free babysitting

Heck, riding 330 miles is like a refreshing nap compared to the goings on at my house.

Jgrooms
02-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Gambler's look for tells. His? Those legs! The guy doesn't like the pain that comes w hitting the large group.

He'll be sitting up in the most un aero position possible asking those legs to push his freak torso through the wind.

Fails imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis
02-25-2016, 06:06 PM
Gambler's look for tells. His? Those legs! The guy doesn't like the pain that comes w hitting the large group.

Those "ladies" he's hanging out with also seem to be working their upper body extra hard.

Peter P.
02-25-2016, 06:18 PM

He is NOT a former Navy Seal. He is a former Navy Seal TRAINEE. He did not graduate from the program.

I hate to split hairs but I have to reserve respect for those who earned the title.

P.S. Someone post the results of his attempt, please.

Question: What's to keep him from cheating on the attempt, to make sure he doesn't do a Rosie Ruiz?

Louis
02-25-2016, 06:21 PM
He is NOT a former Navy Seal. He is a former Navy Seal TRAINEE. He did not graduate from the program.

Plus, judging from what I've seen about him so far, I bet he tried it purely on lark, not taking it very seriously.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Do they still allow smoking in casinos? That was the last bastion for the nasty addiction last time I was in Nevada. Disgusting. So, that's what he's been breathing for, like, years, until, what, 5am? Healthy lifestyle. I'll bet a hundred he's a stimulant addict, like meth and Coke. Poker games last forever. He probably had a revalation at 3 in the morning, raising his head from a line. Oh, yeah, baby, I could bicycle a thousand miles! Bring it on! I'm a stud!

unterhausen
02-25-2016, 08:12 PM
I have DNF'ed a 600k attempt three times out of 9 attempts. I also DNF'd a 1000k after the first day. The common themes were massive cramping and inability to eat. I might have been able to finish if this much money was on the line. I rode 300k, 400k * 2 and 500k in these failed attempts.

Saddle sores is the issue that I wonder about. I have had bad saddle sores on a 600k many times, but nothing like a neophyte cyclist might have. You can "get over" cramps and eating problems on the bike, but progress will be slow for a while

madsciencenow
02-25-2016, 08:49 PM
In case anyone is counting I'm going w/ DNF.

Louis
02-25-2016, 08:53 PM
I think it comes down to two things:

1) Finding a saddle that will work for a complete noobie,

2) Avoiding cramps.

If he can do those two things I bet he finishes. 48 hrs is a long, long time, so he doesn't have to go very fast or push super-hard.

goonster
02-26-2016, 06:07 AM
1) Finding a saddle that will work for a complete noobie,

What could possibly go wrong?

rwsaunders
02-26-2016, 07:53 AM

^ that essentially sealed the deal...if I were a betting man, I'd be betting on doom but hey, BUDS training offers far more difficult conditions as a package taped gel saddle can, as Sailorboy can attest to. If his mind can get in the "pain is weakness leaving the body" mode, he's a winner. Plus that's an aero seatpost...

goonster
02-26-2016, 07:58 AM
BUDS training offers far more difficult conditions as a package taped gel saddle can

No doubt, but the only thing we really know (http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/the-truth-about-dan-bilzerian) about this guy and BUD/S is that he didn't complete it.

(Caution: that link is not entirely SFW.)

rwsaunders
02-26-2016, 08:08 AM
No doubt, but the only thing we really know (http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/the-truth-about-dan-bilzerian) about this guy and BUD/S is that he didn't complete it.

(Caution: that link is not entirely SFW.)

Ah yes...but only a small percentage of the applicants even get accepted to enter BUD/S school and it's what, 24 weeks long after the 8 week "prep" phase? He must have had something going for him to get in the program. But with his "storied" resume, who knows where, when or why he was dropped.

If he does make it, I'm starting a thread on which packing tape, gel pad and wrapping methods are preferred by Paceliners. :cool:

ptourkin
02-26-2016, 08:35 AM

We have a colleague here who did something like that on solo RAAM last year from a Walmart somewhere in the Heartland.

malcolm
02-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Wow I'd never heard of this guy. He kinda makes you sad. His life is a parody of a bad action movie. Most likely a good thing he didn't make it through SEAL training as he would have been shot by his own guys on his first deployment. No room for that personality when you have to depend on one another.

To the current bet. He should be able to do it in a month properly prepared as he seems at least reasonably fit. His MO however seems to support the not really caring about the event or initial investment but how to make money or gain exposure on the side, so who knows. I wouldn't bet either way.

Clydesdale
02-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Does anyone know if there is a "no drafting" clause in the bet? Otherwise I see him cruising behind a big custom RV.

His story is that he was washed 2 days before BUDs graduation, which if true means he made it through Hell Week. Plus he's got a huge ego. If he made it through that, I'm guessing he can do 10mph on a bike for 2 days. He'll have unlimited food, water, trainers, social media fans, girls, (drugs?) etc. not to mention 600 grand on the line. He'll hurt, but I doubt he'll quit.

malcolm
02-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know if there is a "no drafting" clause in the bet? Otherwise I see him cruising behind a big custom RV.

His story is that he was washed 2 days before BUDs graduation, which if true means he made it through Hell Week. Plus he's got a huge ego. If he made it through that, I'm guessing he can do 10mph on a bike for 2 days. He'll have unlimited food, water, trainers, social media fans, girls, (drugs?) etc. not to mention 600 grand on the line. He'll hurt, but I doubt he'll quit.

I don't know that I buy his whole seal story. I skimmed the article about him and he says he lasted 510 days and unless things have changed or that's a misprint BUDS has never lasted that long nor does the entire program. If memory serves the whole thing is like 24 weeks.
I reacall a former seal as saying a sure way to know if someone was a seal or not is if they are openly talking about it they probably were not.

fuzzalow
02-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I reacall a former seal as saying a sure way to know if someone was a seal or not is if they are openly talking about it they probably were not.

Yes, very true of many things in life, not just for former SEALs.

Those who talk, don't know. Those who know, don't talk.

This guy leads a caricature and cartoon of what many an aspiring lunkhead wishes he had. He's got the same kinda beard many of the hipsters wear that I see when getting my haircut on the Lower East Side. Livin' the dream - which sounds like what I overhear from these same hipsters too. I dunno how they do it - so young and yet so rich and carefree. This gambling douchbag seems like an LA-SoCal version of the same but richer and more grandiose than the NYC version. You want insight into the vapid vacuousness of the SoCal lifestyle, read the Hollywood Reporter and get a lesson in self preoccupation!

Which is great 'cos it's a free country brother. We all make and live in our own pergatories - the best that can happen is we get some say in controlling the trajectory. Honestly, given the choice as idle rich, I wouldn't want it. The people I've known lucky enough to qualify as such were all listless, jaded and bored. Kinda like there wasn't enough fear in their lives.

unterhausen
02-26-2016, 10:30 AM
don't call it a publicity stunt, it's a "prop bet" :bike:

Mikej
02-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Ah yes...but only a small percentage of the applicants even get accepted to enter BUD/S school and it's what, 24 weeks long after the 8 week "prep" phase? He must have had something going for him to get in the program. But with his "storied" resume, who knows where, when or why he was dropped.

If he does make it, I'm starting a thread on which packing tape, gel pad and wrapping methods are preferred by Paceliners. :cool:

So, what did this guy do for 6 years in the NAVY? I'm under the impression you have to sign for a 6 year contract (to attempt to be a SEAL) and if you rock out you go to barnacle scrapping school...I have not read his bio as I don't think I could handle the guys story...

OK, I read it, it was worse than I thought -he was tossed for a "safety violation" and receives $6000 a month as a disabled veteran with an honorable discharge (I did not read anywhere that he finished his hitch)-which I believe could be BS, both the honorable which you get from completion of your contract and the amount of 6k.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-Dan-Bilzerian-like-during-SEAL-training

goonster
02-26-2016, 12:07 PM
This guy leads a caricature and cartoon of what many an aspiring lunkhead wishes he had.

Maddeningly, he has already won just by us thinking and talking about him.

What is fascinating to me is that if he actually gets on that bike to Vegas, the life of someone famous-for-being-famous will parallel my own in this tiny (but possibly very painful) way I can relate to.

fuzzalow
02-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Maddeningly, he has already won just by us thinking and talking about him.

Well, yeah talked about, but hardly in terms of admiration or respect. But to a modern media manufactured celebrity, anything is better than nuthin'. Such is the currency of the realm.

I don't begrudge him anything of what he's got. No way I'd wanna be him, not for any money. It is not for everyman that the ends justifies the means. And I'm sure to a guy like him that just makes me the fool.

azrider
02-29-2016, 04:36 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160229/30936c5f5105bed08b1166b7addcc9eb.jpg

Louis
02-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Nice socks.

sailorboy
02-29-2016, 05:22 PM
I don't know that I buy his whole seal story. I skimmed the article about him and he says he lasted 510 days and unless things have changed or that's a misprint BUDS has never lasted that long nor does the entire program. If memory serves the whole thing is like 24 weeks.

No, not 510 days if you go straight through without any hitches, but people get rolled to later classes for medical reasons or other things as long as they pass a given phase. Then there's basically a probation period and SQT after BUD/s that you have to get through to actually get a trident pinned on your chest. So yeah, he could've been a physical specimen and made it through all the phases of BUD/s, but trust me, if he exposed serious character flaws at any time during that first year that couldn't be overcome, the SEALS would have found a way to wash him out of the program before he ever made it to a team. They are justifiably selective about who they want watching their backs and representing.

93legendti
02-29-2016, 05:24 PM
...I reacall a former seal as saying a sure way to know if someone was a seal or not is if they are openly talking about it they probably were not.

Like Marcus Luttrell?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lone-survivor-marcus-luttrell/1100221342

gasman
02-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Like Marcus Luttrell?

There's an exception to every rule. I have two friends that are former SEALS and didn't know it for the first several years after meeting them.
There are several other books out by former SEALS but the majority of them don't want to talk about it and I think they look down on the guys that do write about their experiences.

I think this guy is pretty full of it. 2-3 heart attacks in your 30's ? Riding your bike that far. There are so many red flags about this guy's story it's hard to know what the truth is.

gdw
02-29-2016, 06:57 PM
The tables showing the monthly payments disabled vets are entitled to can be found at va.gov. If anyone can figure out how that a-- received or receives $6000 a month for his injuries let us know. I'd hate to think that this guy is the lowest form of liar if he actually is eligible to receive considerably more compensation than the other single vets with 100 percent disability.

Mikej
02-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Wow I'd never heard of this guy. He kinda makes you sad. His life is a parody of a bad action movie. Most likely a good thing he didn't make it through SEAL training as he would have been shot by his own guys on his first deployment. No room for that personality when you have to depend on one another.

To the current bet. He should be able to do it in a month properly prepared as he seems at least reasonably fit. His MO however seems to support the not really caring about the event or initial investment but how to make money or gain exposure on the side, so who knows. I wouldn't bet either way.

No, not 510 days if you go straight through without any hitches, but people get rolled to later classes for medical reasons or other things as long as they pass a given phase. Then there's basically a probation period and SQT after BUD/s that you have to get through to actually get a trident pinned on your chest. So yeah, he could've been a physical specimen and made it through all the phases of BUD/s, but trust me, if he exposed serious character flaws at any time during that first year that couldn't be overcome, the SEALS would have found a way to wash him out of the program before he ever made it to a team. They are justifiably selective about who they want watching their backs and representing.
BUD/S is 26 weeks, then SEAL training is an additional 24 weeks. Then sniper school or any additional specialty.
The way I read it, an officer in BUD/s witnessed his selfishness and made the call that he would not function as a team member. They ���� canned him for the obvious reason that couldn't be covered up - he is literally a certified giant douche. I do not believe that is a qualified disability in the Armed Forces. Also, disability is the same for all ranks, it is a percentage of a base amount regardless of rank and the current maximum benefit is 3300 per month. Good on that Officer for knowing his $hit- he saved an uncountable amount of lives.

azrider
02-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Like Marcus Luttrell?

Uggggghhh. Where is the eyeroll banana ?

93legendti
02-29-2016, 10:08 PM
You must mean the thumbs up. I know plenty of special forces - both here and in Israel. They love to talk.

azrider
02-29-2016, 10:14 PM
deleted in effort to keep this thread going and on subject at hand

that said.....I don't think he can do it

ripvanrando
03-01-2016, 06:16 AM
The GD (Gigantic Douche) might do it but I doubt it.

I had not ridden in some years and two years ago I got my fat, lazy carcass off the couch and worked really hard to do a 200K with 9,000 feet of climbing within 5 weeks in under 10 hours and I did a hilly 600K in 33 hours with 6 hours sleep within 3 months of training very, very seriously. I had the benefit of hundreds of thousands of miles buried deep in my legs somewhere and having done these long miles many times, so equipment and knowledge was not a factor. It was not easy. I could have done 330 miles in 48 hours with 30 days of training but it would have taken some special forces. My longest recent ride to date is 770 miles in 54 hours including control stops. I am 100% sure I could do this 330 miles in under 24 hours. A Newbie cyclist in 48 hours? Probably not.

If GD has a tailwind, I give him a good shot with the various drug substances no doubt fueling his effort and muting the pain. He will have pain. No tailwind with dessert heat....maybe 50/50.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2016, 06:35 AM
The tables showing the monthly payments disabled vets are entitled to can be found at va.gov. If anyone can figure out how that a-- received or receives $6000 a month for his injuries let us know. I'd hate to think that this guy is the lowest form of liar if he actually is eligible to receive considerably more compensation than the other single vets with 100 percent disability.

He doesn't, not from the USN. 'Disability' really means that portion of his retirement pay, if he was medically retired, is tax free. 'retirement' pay is pro-rated depending on how long he was in, and is based on his 'base pay', excluding any other 'pay and allowances' such as hazardous duty, flight, type pay. .

Mikej
03-01-2016, 07:48 AM
dbl post

Mikej
03-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Disability is all the same amount regardless of rank flight haz duty etc. Having a spouse and a child at 100% disabled is $3187 per month. General or PVT.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp01.asp

dpk501
03-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Is Lance going to help by installing a motor in this guys bike?

azrider
03-14-2016, 09:12 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/6efd357a6693ad3d5388870b45088535.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/b831c48e0bd431ba82dff9017327bb06.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/9182b59be45ec48f1a47fbcf35aa5f5d.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-14-2016, 04:26 PM
cdn.com/20160314/9182b59be45ec48f1a47fbcf35aa5f5d.jpg[/IMG]

Lance on a Cannondale? Loaner?

gavingould
03-14-2016, 05:49 PM
yeah, i would guess the c-dale is a loaner. i recall seeing Cheatstrong riding a very subdued Parlee post-ban.

rwsaunders
03-14-2016, 06:25 PM
They carry CDale at Mellow Johnny's.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2016, 05:18 AM
They carry CDale at Mellow Johnny's.

Moots too, he's got a Moots also..

Schmed
03-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Moots too, he's got a Moots also..

I think he has a couple Mootses. Mtn and road.

druptight
03-15-2016, 06:47 AM
Photo taken from support SUV they're drafting in addition to the obvious support SUV following them with flashers on?

bcroslin
03-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Lance and Dan = douche power ACTIVATE!

azrider
03-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Photo taken from support SUV they're drafting in addition to the obvious support SUV following them with flashers on?

Stills I snapped from a video that DB (doucheba....i mean Dan Bilzerian) posted to his instagram

i just didn't know how to embed vid

bcroslin
03-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Stills I snapped from a video that DB (doucheba....i mean Dan Bilzerian) posted to his instagram

i just didn't know how to embed vid

I went and looked at his insta feed and felt like I needed a shower after 30 sec's.

rugbysecondrow
03-15-2016, 12:10 PM
He might be a douche, but he is living the male fantasy (for some) and that is his notoriety.

And to be clear, he has more people following his cycling exploits than any other PROFESSIONAL cyclist in the world. I bet more people are following his cycling bet than actually watch or follow professional cycling events and races.

Call him a douche if you want, him being on a bike might be good for cycling.

Louis
03-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Photo taken from support SUV they're drafting

Why just draft? If they're going to do that, they might as well have a tow rope.

eBAUMANN
03-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Call him a douche if you want, him being on a bike might be good for cycling.

Im gonna go ahead and disagree with you here, as the last thing cycling needs is dan bilzerian fans hitting the roads...

rugbysecondrow
03-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Im gonna go ahead and disagree with you here, as the last thing cycling needs is dan bilzerian fans hitting the roads...

So, cycling is already seen as a douche baggy activity, and Bilzerian is seen as a douchebag, so maybe the negatives cancel each other out. :)

You can either have his fans driving around with ZERO awareness of cyclists, or you can have this. Frankly, it is good seeing a guy like this on the bike because he reaches a segment of society cycling would never touch, and a much bigger audience. His photos and promotion only seem to promote the positive aspects of cycling, so I don't see the issue.

Even if his fans never pick up a bike to ride themselves, if he helps the sport/activity seem less douchebaggy and elitest, then it might actually be good for those on the road.

azrider
03-15-2016, 04:05 PM
HA!

This dude will help the sport of cycling, much like Jose Canseco and Danny Bonaduce helped the sport of boxing when they stepped in the ring or when Garth Brooks helped baseball the year he went to spring training. :rolleyes:

This will equate to nothing more than a circus sideshow, with the added drama of some rich kid making bet's with daddy's money. I'll stick to my own opinion of this turd......

R3awak3n
03-15-2016, 06:10 PM
this is definitely not good for cycling. Not only because of blizerian but now with Lance oh boy.

rugbysecondrow
03-15-2016, 07:18 PM
First, let's not equate cycling with baseball. Cycling is a niche sport which doesn't even get ESPN coverage...even the WNBA gets ESPN coverage.

Second, people bitch about cycling rights and awareness, then bitch about famous people riding bikes and bringing awareness.

The reality is that this guy has about 25 million followers on Instagram...Contador only has about 240k.

This is only bad if you are an elitist who prefers closed ranks. Which is actually what I think many prefer.

rwsaunders
03-15-2016, 07:47 PM
When I see those Instagram pics, I keep thinking of the Rapha models in the woods who were posing with the shotguns a few years back...yuk.

Louis
03-15-2016, 08:11 PM
When I see those Instagram pics, I keep thinking of the Rapha models in the woods who were posing with the shotguns a few years back...yuk.

Unfortunately, that's one we can't pin on Rapha. That was Brandt-Sorenson

http://brandt-sorenson.com/

bicycletricycle
03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I like seeing lance out and about.

He can't stay in the dog house forever.

rwsaunders
03-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, that's one we can't pin on Rapha. That was Brandt-Sorenson

http://brandt-sorenson.com/

Thanks Louis.

Louis
03-15-2016, 08:40 PM
Thanks Louis.

I don't know what's stupider and more inappropriate, the axe or the shotgun.

On the other hand, they are memorable...

velomonkey
03-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Gentleman, I present to you . . . Lance Armstrong

cadence90
03-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Damn....

Der Kaiser looking at that pic, goin', "Holy scheisse...w t f???".

fiamme red
03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/03/22/instagram-playboy-reveals-why-hes-risking-his-life-for-600k/

And he plans on doing everything he can to enhance his odds: “I’ll have a dozen bikes in one of the vans, and may get a giant tricycle” in case his legs lock up. “I might take Provigil, which is what fighter pilots use to stay focused,” he adds. (Says Perkins: “Dan can take any drugs he wants. I think this is the worst bet Dan has ever made — he can die.”):rolleyes:

cadence90
03-22-2016, 11:03 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/03/22/instagram-playboy-reveals-why-hes-risking-his-life-for-600k/

:rolleyes:

No kidding....

When he's bonking hard, is he going to yell out, "Just get me back on the damn trike!" *
* (In poor taste, I know; but this guy really bugs me.)

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Do not let your heart be troubled, there are many rooms in our house. Dan is in the champagne room, and that is ok. :D

If this were a 120 mile run, I doubt runners would get so worked about it. Cycling, and cyclists, take themselves too seriously sometimes.

cadence90
03-23-2016, 06:46 AM
:)

What? Dan? In the "champagne room"? What's "champagne", a paint color? What's a "room", some kind of container?

I'm pretty sure Big-Trike-Dan only graces the Salon DRC Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Édition Provigil Très Très Limitée. B-T-Deè is, after all, très très sophistiqué.

velomonkey
03-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Do not let your heart be troubled, there are many rooms in our house. Dan is in the champagne room, and that is ok. :D

If this were a 120 mile run, I doubt runners would get so worked about it. Cycling, and cyclists, take themselves too seriously sometimes.

The guy is a real-life replicant of Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball. He LOVES the attention and I am 100% sure runners would react the exact same way.

He says he is risking his life - not cause the dude had a heart attack before he was 30, but because the ride itself is a death ride. Which . . . we all know it's not.

It's pure show and meant to get a reaction.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2016, 07:07 AM

:rolleyes:

" “I might take Provigil, which is what fighter pilots use to stay focused,” he adds.""

The guy is as full of SH__TE as a christmas goose. For 20 years flying in the USN, never heard of this stuff. Had an exchange tour with USAF, flying fighters..never heard of this stuff. He's a putz..no surprise he's buddy-buddy with LA.

fiamme red
03-23-2016, 07:18 AM

fiamme red
03-23-2016, 07:18 AM
For 20 years flying in the USN, never heard of this stuff. Had an exchange tour with USAF, flying fighters..never heard of this stuff. He's a putz..no surprise he's buddy-buddy with LA.The drug's actual name is Modafinil, Provigil is just a trade name.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15460629

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2016, 07:24 AM
The guy is a real-life replicant of Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball. He LOVES the attention and I am 100% sure runners would react the exact same way.

He says he is risking his life - not cause the dude had a heart attack before he was 30, but because the ride itself is a death ride. Which . . . we all know it's not.

Of course it is. He is very successful at what he does, getting attention.

velomonkey
03-23-2016, 07:37 AM
First photo is how this chucklehead views the "challenge" .

Second photo is how I view this guy doing his challenge with Lance. (FYI - two stellar elder gentleman on a trike is AWESOME. You get what I'm saying, though. It's a metaphor, but it really happened).

cadence90
03-23-2016, 07:49 AM

Exactly.

In LA', Primèe Danèe is 100% equated with the Kardashiaèe, and, despite LA's (I mean Los Angeles, CA, not that truly superficial LA) clichè superficial reputation, even here that is not such a good thing, believe it or not. The guy is USDA prime douchèe.

And I do kind of wish Tom Simpson could rise up and punch him in his mug.
I'm betting on Tom, all in.

goonster
03-23-2016, 08:00 AM
For 20 years flying in the USN, never heard of this stuff. Had an exchange tour with USAF, flying fighters..never heard of this stuff.

Here's a journal abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15460629) from 2004 that calls it "relatively new."

Don't have inside knowledge, but I think the approved, supervised use of modafinil by U.S. AF pilots is pretty well documented.

shovelhd
03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/modafinil-2013-4/

Prohibited in competition for cycling, FWIW.

ColonelJLloyd
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
It's a common drug treatment for narcolepsy, which his why my wife takes it. I believe the patent on Provigil expired a few years back and they slightly modified it and made it time-released (or tweaked the release rate or something) and it is now called Nuvigil.

Performance enhancing drugs for soldiers is as old as war itself. Viking berserkers are believed to have eaten psilocybin mushrooms, diazepam was taken by snipers and there are countless stories of amphetamines and hallucinogens given to combat soldiers.

cderalow
03-23-2016, 11:35 AM
It's a common drug treatment for narcolepsy, which his why my wife takes it. I believe the patent on Provigil expired a few years back and they slightly modified it and made it time-released (or tweaked the release rate or something) and it is now called Nuvigil.

Performance enhancing drugs for soldiers is as old as war itself. Viking berserkers are believed to have eaten psilocybin mushrooms, diazepam was taken by snipers and there are countless stories of amphetamines and hallucinogens given to combat soldiers.

want to say it was a major export from the US during WW2 for frontline soliders...

meth anyway.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
want to say it was a major export from the US during WW2 for frontline soliders...

meth anyway.

For USAF exchange I took some sort of meth and Seconal? Sleep med, during WE to gauge effect cuz my squadron could be called upon for deployment but never heard of it for USN.

goonster
03-23-2016, 12:36 PM

Support budget for this two-day ride: $125,000. :eek:

That'll buy a lot of bag balm . . .

shovelhd
03-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Support budget for this two-day ride: $125,000. :eek:

That'll buy a lot of bag balm . . .

Hookers and blow

ofcounsel
03-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Dan Bilzarian thinks he can. He not a cyclist, but made a $600,000 bet in mid-february that he could ride from L.A. to Vegas (note... about 13,000 feet of climbing too) within 48 hours.

Normally, i'd say, no way.... But the guy is crazy, and he has Nate Loyal (and some Armstrong dude) coaching him. He's had less than 6 weeks to train.

Given that Nate's been helping him, I think he can! What do you think?

Louis
03-29-2016, 12:47 AM
We've discussed this bit:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=182779

ofcounsel
03-29-2016, 12:51 AM
I'd say! How could I have missed the thread?

oldpotatoe
03-29-2016, 06:07 AM
Dan Bilzarian thinks he can. He not a cyclist, but made a $600,000 bet in mid-february that he could ride from L.A. to Vegas (note... about 13,000 feet of climbing too) within 48 hours.

Normally, i'd say, no way.... But the guy is crazy, and he has Nate Loyal (and some Armstrong dude) coaching him. He's had less than 6 weeks to train.

Given that Nate's been helping him, I think he can! What do you think?

Isn't their now a Gulfstream G4 aircraft in the mix? Guy has lots of $, no class.

AngryScientist
03-29-2016, 06:51 AM
threads merged.

vqdriver
03-29-2016, 10:52 AM
So when's this happening? I assume there will be all kinds of ways to follow it?

goonster
03-29-2016, 12:17 PM
If I understood the proposition correctly, he has until midnight Thursday PST to start.

It would be dumb, imho, to start something like this at night, but then I am not familiar with the sleep patterns of the drug-fueled, gym rat, alleged pro poker playing social media jet set elite.

bloody sunday
03-29-2016, 12:19 PM
If I understood the proposition correctly, he has until midnight Thursday PST to start.

It would be dumb, imho, to start something like this at night, but then I am not familiar with the sleep patterns of the drug-fueled, gym rat, alleged pro poker playing social media jet set elite with a bad heart.

ftfy

velomonkey
03-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Drunkcyclist has voiced his thoughts - and he tagged the dude (I'm totally down with whiskey being my yoga)

Hey Dan Bilzerian, when you're done with the equivalent of bed wetting for cycling, you should show up to an Epic Rides Off-Road Series mountain bike event and see if that coin purse between your legs is packing steel balls or not.

velomonkey
03-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Oh and I'm just gonna park this one right here. Clearly raising your heel means raising the stem . . . . . he is spinning so fast the spokes are near-motionless in this picture.

rugbysecondrow
03-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Oh and I'm just gonna park this one right here. Clearly raising your heel means raising the stem . . . . . he is spinning so fast the spokes are near-motionless in this picture.

His bike is pointed in the wrong direction. :beer:

ripvanrando
03-29-2016, 04:20 PM
He has to take the desert temperatures into account, winds, and his night owl bio rhythms. I'm guessing this is why the late start.

He is allowed to motorpace and will do so behind an SUV.

Any decent endurance rider could do the 293 miles in a third of the time drafting like that and well under 20 hours without the motorpace.

Why he is bringing two chefs is beyond me.

All the women? Sure

A Doctor? Maybe

It would be dumb, imho, to start something like this at night, but then I am not familiar with the sleep patterns of the drug-fueled, gym rat, alleged pro poker playing social media jet set elite.

bcroslin
03-29-2016, 04:57 PM
This $hit-bag's entire social media presence seems to be to prove he's heterosexual. Douche.

BobbyJones
03-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Jealously never looks good on anyone.

I'm just sayin'....

miguel
03-29-2016, 05:58 PM
damn.
im hoping to do my 600k (~330miles) sub-24hrs for this years rando season

Louis
03-29-2016, 06:04 PM
damn.

But do you have babes in your hot tub? That's the important thing.

miguel
03-29-2016, 06:11 PM
But do you have babes in your hot tub? That's the important thing.

since drafting is against RUSA rules, i'l have to put this back in the garage
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/96/48/64/9648641a526a188f12c0e15789b4e4dd.jpg

hellvetica
03-29-2016, 06:28 PM
jealously never looks good on anyone.

I'm just sayin'....

qftft

velomonkey
03-29-2016, 06:40 PM
qftft

Quote for truth for truth?!?!?!?!?!

cadence90
03-29-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't think Big D is gonna make it, sorry.

No way.

He may have the coaching, the prep, the jets, the RV, the drugs, the booze, the chicas, etc., etc., but unfortunately he simply has the wrong bikes.

Now, IF he had This Absolutely Awesome Bike (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=184568) well, then, I'd be all in....

bcroslin
03-29-2016, 07:30 PM

I'm just sayin'....

you got me.

ripvanrando
03-29-2016, 07:44 PM
damn.

600K is actually 375 miles and many Randonneurs do this distance completely unsupported in under 24 hours including stopping at controls and buying food although most will stop at night to sleep and take 32-35 hours. RAAM qualification is a minimum of 400 miles in 24 hours. 290 miles in 48 hours is a joke. He has massage therapists. Climbing bikes, TT bikes, and even a recumbent in case his delicate derriere gets sore.

bloody sunday
03-29-2016, 08:47 PM

I'm just sayin'....

Didn't realize there were people who cared about him enough to defend him from other men on the internet.

wildboar
03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Periscope feed:

https://www.periscope.tv/BillPerkinsGuy/1ynKOXPLMEwGR

hellvetica
03-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Quote for truth for truth?!?!?!?!?!

add some vulgarity to the second to last letter.

BobbyJones
03-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Oh, let's be clear. It wasn't him I was defending. Never even heard of the guy before this thread.

Didn't realize there were people who cared about him enough to defend him from other men on the internet.

katematt
03-30-2016, 11:57 AM
@bp22 should anyone care for updates.

azrider
03-30-2016, 04:19 PM
you've got to be sh*ting me..........screen shot from his Instagram vid

AJM100
03-30-2016, 04:28 PM
gotta give it to the guy, if the terms of the wager did not prohibit drafting behind a mini van and using an entourage to allow for unimpeded travel on major highways, then he may have the advantage . . .

entertaining to watch . . .:beer:

AJM100
03-30-2016, 04:30 PM
and he is charging $9.99 for updates too . . . lol . . . :crap:

brilliant!

azrider
03-30-2016, 04:32 PM
and he is charging $9.99 for updates too . . . lol . . . :crap:

brilliant!

HA!! Of course he is........and I gare-Ohn-TEE people will sign up for it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cev_RWBWAAAG4QZ.jpg:large

miguel
03-30-2016, 04:34 PM
600K is actually 375 miles and many Randonneurs do this distance completely unsupported in under 24 hours including stopping at controls and buying food although most will stop at night to sleep and take 32-35 hours. RAAM qualification is a minimum of 400 miles in 24 hours. 290 miles in 48 hours is a joke. He has massage therapists. Climbing bikes, TT bikes, and even a recumbent in case his delicate derriere gets sore.

yeah

fwiw, at 48hrs i had just left loudiac (~780km) on my way back to paris this year +had 8 hrs sleep

Dave B
03-30-2016, 05:32 PM
I know i am the minority, but I love this. Giant ego, with the "Eff-u watch me do it," attitude.

I couldn't be more opposite of this guy, so it cracks me up that this is the life he is choosing. Whatever you think of him, he lives his life according to his own rules. I can dig that. Obviously he does some stuff for reaction, but I didn't know him before I read about him here and once he is done I doubt I will care about him again.

He is entertaining and I do like to be entertained.

ryker
03-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Between the open doors and wind deflectors, I think his pace vehicle is actually creating a vacuum for him to ride in. Boring.

cadence90
03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
This has promptly plummeted past the pale of pure pitiful paltry patheticness....

rugbysecondrow
03-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I know i am the minority, but I love this. Giant ego, with the "Eff-u watch me do it," attitude.

I couldn't be more opposite of this guy, so it cracks me up that this is the life he is choosing. Whatever you think of him, he lives his life according to his own rules. I can dig that. Obviously he does some stuff for reaction, but I didn't know him before I read about him here and once he is done I doubt I will care about him again.

https://www.facebook.com/danbilzerianofficial/videos/1795653827338544/

I am with you, I enjoy this as well.

It has been more entertaining seeing the reaction of those who dislike him.

Cheers!

rwsaunders
03-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Recumbent sales will be skyrocketing.

milkbaby
03-30-2016, 09:05 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58370712.jpg

fiamme red
03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/03/30/instagram-playboy-pedals-160-miles-on-first-day-of-bike-odyssey/

On the other side of the bet is natural-gas trader and fellow poker player Bill Perkins. “I was there when Dan took off,” Perkins tells The Post. “And it was a bit of a circus. He had a 20-person staff and a 10-motorcycle escort. And he was not riding the kind of bike that I thought would be correct for getting this done. The bike was what you’d see a grandpa riding on the boardwalk in Santa Monica” — wide, with a giant, cushiony seat. “But they calculated that it’s better for him to be comfortable and not damage his prostate.”

“This is way more dangerous,” says Bilzerian when asked how the ride compares to the Navy SEAL training he underwent after high school.

Bilzerian originally planned to take a break every 50 miles, though he’s occasionally made pit stops after 30. During stops, says Perkins, a paramedic weighs Bilzerian and instructs him what to eat. Bilzerian also changes clothes and bikes (he has two-wheelers designed for uphill, downhill and straightaway riding). Then “he might get a massage, eat, and maybe rest before taking off again,” says Perkins.:p :rolleyes: :help:

cadence90
03-30-2016, 09:51 PM
.... ..

bcroslin
03-31-2016, 05:14 AM
The bike was what you’d see a grandpa riding on the boardwalk in Santa Monica” — wide, with a giant, cushiony seat. “But they calculated that it’s better for him to be comfortable and not damage his prostate.”

He may win $600k but Perkins will never let him live down the fact he did it on a bent to save his taint.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2016, 06:11 AM

Next thing you know, he'll be running for POTUS..

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 06:49 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cev_RWBWAAAG4QZ.jpg:large

I would pay $600k and go into a life of servitude to NOT ride this bike and publish it for all to see - but that's just me. (oh, and skipping all those 'leg days' is clearly showing in spades)

bicycletricycle
03-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Easy racer recumbents are fun to ride.

More aero, easier on the body.

Smart move.

Dave B
03-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Next thing you know, he'll be running for POTUS..

Well how far off is he from one of the more "interesting" of the choices? Let me see here, ego-maniac, is going to do what he wants regardless of who tells him he cannot, and he is his own biggest fan. Sounds like one of the candidates who is running. ;)

CampyorBust
03-31-2016, 08:56 AM
Who is the genius who bet against this character? Doesn’t strike me as the loosing type, more like the type to win at any cost, and then Lance shows :rolleyes:. I want to hate but I cant, this is awesome! :hello:

I would love to hear the specifics of the bet.

I never understood the recumbent haterz, the guy is riding a bike that a good thing no? Sooner or later you will get old enough to where you start to look upon covetously at goofy grinning Ted laying back taking in the scenery as he passes you at 20+mph. Recumbents rock because bikes rock its as simple as that if you ask me.

I am a little puzzled by the frame it looks to be ti but the frame design is identical to their steel Tour Easy classic model. Either way it's comfy and he made the right and smart choice (truck nuts on the back would have been a nice touch, maybe next time)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/tabletmypc/Cats%20n%20Comedy/sheen_pres.jpg

cloudguy
03-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Charlie Sheen has HIV from all of his "winning". Sometimes, livin' the dream ain't all that it appears.

gdw
03-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Guys who claim to be disabled vets and aren't are lower than whalesh*t. Enough said.

oldpotatoe
03-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Guys who claim to be disabled vets and aren't are lower than whales*t. Enough said.

Well said.

DRZRM
03-31-2016, 11:13 AM
So looks like he did it.

Bilzerian Victory (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/20168-dan-bilzerian-wins-1-2-million-cycling-bet)

I really couldn't care less how these a$$h@l3s shuffle their money among themselves, or that they seem to be describing a $600,000 bet as a $1.2 million dollar bet. But it seems like the challenge became much easier during the planning stage.

The original post that Bilzerian shared stated

@BP2269 BET ME $600,000 THAT I COULDN’T BICYCLE FROM LA TO VEGAS IN 48 HOURS, IT’S OVER 300 MILES, I HAVEN’T BEEN ON A BIKE IN 18 YEARS AND I HAVE A MONTH TO TRAIN…

and the initial article stated that there was 11,000 feet of climbing between LA and LV.

So if they reverse the route, doesn't that mean a lot more coasting downhill, and a lot less climbing? How on earth did Bill Perkins let that happen? Seems like he wanted to lose.

goonster
03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
He took all the epic out of it, but that recumbent is a smart way to solve a lot of problems. Chapeau.

rugbysecondrow
03-31-2016, 11:48 AM
There was $600K on the line, but how much side action was there? Probably millions more. He played it up, bluffed with some other training shots and video, then showed up on a recumbant with a well planned strategy.

He might be a douche bag, but he knew what he was doing the whole time. Gotta tip your hat. Well played.

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 02:36 PM
So looks like he did it.

Bilzerian Victory (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/20168-dan-bilzerian-wins-1-2-million-cycling-bet)

Calling this victory is the same as saying he was victorious over bed wetting cause he wore a diaper.

4Rings6Stars
03-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Calling this victory is the same as saying he was victorious over bed wetting cause he wore a diaper.

You guys are ridiculous...

a non cyclist rode a bike >300 miles in 2 days. Douchebag or not, support vehicle or not, I think that's pretty incredible.

druptight
03-31-2016, 03:01 PM
and the initial article stated that there was 11,000 feet of climbing between LA and LV.

So if they reverse the route, doesn't that mean a lot more coasting downhill, and a lot less climbing? How on earth did Bill Perkins let that happen? Seems like he wanted to lose.

That's assuming 11,000 of net elevation gain. According to a quick and dirty google search, there's only a 1,800 foot difference in elevation between vegas and LA, so based on some quick back of napkin math, he probably climbed about 9,200 feet going the other direction, so less, but not all downhill.

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 03:06 PM

a non cyclist rode a bike >300 miles in 2 days. Douchebag or not, support vehicle or not, I think that's pretty incredible.

"Incredible:" so extraordinary as to seem impossible.

The guy had ample time to train, he had ample resources to train, he used a recumbent bike, a fairing, the highway system and a 100k supply paddy wagon. I think 'incredible' might be a bit of an exaggeration - in fact it's possibly a ridiculous use of an adjective given the situation. I'm not over whelmed, I'm not under whelmed - if there was ever a time I was just whelmed it would be in regard to this event.

eBAUMANN
03-31-2016, 03:09 PM

To call what he did "incredible" might be a little bit of a stretch, "smart" yes, absolutely, but not incredible.
Dude is in some sort of shape, not some office shlub, doesnt really take much to pedal a bike, much less a recumbent.
All he had to do was keep pedaling and he would make it.

30hrs riding = 10mph average with 18 hours for sleep
38hrs riding = ~8mph average with 10 hours for sleep

It would have been "incredible" had he NOT succeeded.
Not impressed, at all, sorry.

CunegoFan
03-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Wow. This went from something interesting to contemplate whether he could make it to something that was incredibly lame. Bilzerian might as well have ridden an e-bike. The other side of the bet must feel like a fool for not hammering out the details beforehand.

p nut
03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Ha. I wonder how far he would've made it on a "proper" bike?

ripvanrando
03-31-2016, 03:30 PM
I hear ya. I was in Mortagne sooner than 48 hours...not impressed by his challenge but it is entertaining.

yeah

fwiw, at 48hrs i had just left loudiac (~780km) on my way back to paris this year +had 8 hrs sleep

eBAUMANN
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Ha. I wonder how far he would've made it on a "proper" bike?

Hopefully all the way...its not THAT difficult.

13K of climbing sounds scary, but over 300mi is not really a big deal.
Almost anyone could spin up that and keep a decent pace on the flats with fairly normal gearing.

choke
03-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Not impressed, at all, sorry.But....it was "more dangerous than SEAL training". :rolleyes:

unterhausen
03-31-2016, 03:40 PM
it was entertaining, too bad there were so many loopholes. I bet Armstrong could finish in well under the 15 hours he was offered given the same rules

AJM100
03-31-2016, 03:41 PM
this was a vegas wager - a prop bet . . .

it was not about fitness, ability, cycling, etc. - the fact that a bicycle was involved is incidental.

could have easily been a skateboard . . . or a pie eating contest off the arse of one of the Instagram groupies . . .

this was then spun into an attention seeking, internet marketing campaign . . .

eBAUMANN
03-31-2016, 03:57 PM
it was entertaining, too bad there were so many loopholes. I bet Armstrong could finish in well under the 15 hours he was offered given the same rules

I bet a lot of people on this forum could finish in under 15 given the same rules...

christian
03-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Haha, I love it. When this was announced I thought to myself that riding along I-15 with a faired recumbent was the obvious solution. But I admit he one-upped even that. I think I described this achievement as "trivial" earlier in this thread. That seems to be borne out! LOL.

miguel
03-31-2016, 04:08 PM
I hear ya. I was in Mortagne sooner than 48 hours...not impressed by his challenge but it is entertaining.

im solidly in the "meh" camp

also, congrats on charly miller. now that i know what is possible after my first pbp/1200, i think im going to try to do it a bit faster next time - if i can talk my wife into it.

ripvanrando
03-31-2016, 04:18 PM
im solidly in the "meh" camp

also, congrats on charly miller. now that i know what is possible after my first pbp/1200, i think im going to try to do it a bit faster next time - if i can talk my wife into it.

Cool. You two are going for Charly time on a mixed tandem? John and Anne from the US did it last year.

if I understand right, the 330 miles were done in 21 hours on a recumbent motorpacing a van with the back doors open? 48 hours was generous but even sitting for 21 hours pedaling at probably only 80-100 watts isn't bad but not impressive.

Dave B
03-31-2016, 04:28 PM
I guess I am in the camp of the amount he won for the effort he put in. Sure many folks could do it faster that post here. Some folks may ride that distance for fun and that is great, but he had 1.2 mil waiting for him based on an initial bet and those that got in on the action.

I guess I am impressed at the amount he made versus the amount he spent and time/effort he put in. I get it folks think he is a D-bag-deluxe and I am totally fine with that. He just made over a million and in two days. The math works out to me having to work 20 years to reach that amount based on the salary I make now after 15 years of raises from where I started. 1.2 mil is a reality changer for me and this guy made it in 2 days. He might be an a$$, but he is banking on other's bets and egos. He isn't a total idiot.

miguel
03-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Cool. You two are going for Charly time on a mixed tandem?

no, i just had a big training year. roughly 10,000km - every weekend and 1-2-3x a week.

and i ate a LOT.

so lots of away-time and putting up with tired, hungry, and sometimes grumpy me.

if I understand right, the 330 miles were done in 21 hours on a recumbent motorpacing a van with the back doors open? 48 hours was generous but even sitting for 21 hours pedaling at probably only 80-100 watts isn't bad but not impressive.

motorpacing on a recumbent with minimal forced stops (stop lights, cross streets)

not at all impressive

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 04:33 PM
He isn't a total idiot.

No, he's not. The idiot who is the dude who created the bet. Given the time, given the resources, given that he is young and in shape - he would have been an IDIOT not to have taken the bet.

I mean seriously - once he you saw the setup was their really any doubt that any fit 30 something year old would be unable to do the ride.

I think not.

ColonelJLloyd
03-31-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm not a gambler so help me understand how he made that on a $600k bet.

He just made over a million and in two days.

cadence90
03-31-2016, 04:47 PM
I wonder what his actual income will be, after expenses. "expenses", and taxes.

Dave B
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm not a gambler so help me understand how he made that on a $600k bet.

Just poached info from the article that was linked here earlier.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/20168-dan-bilzerian-wins-1-2-million-cycling-bet

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Just poached info from the article that was linked here earlier.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/20168-dan-bilzerian-wins-1-2-million-cycling-bet

Don't believe everything you read - the total amount on the wager was 1.2 million - 600k on each side.

This "bet" - this "challenge" was what it was. Bravo that we are talking about it. Given the variables I could pick participants and do the same challenge 100 times and 'win' a 100 times. And I'd make money. Great.

You know, the Patrick Dempsy challenge registration is up - everyone who does that is a thousand times more heroic in my view, but, hey, that's just me. Anyway, let me take a little form this wanna-be and post a link to the heroic registration page of the Dempsy Challenge (http://support.dempseychallenge.org/site/TR/Events/General?pg=entry&fr_id=1110#.Vv2fNMckfgl).

rugbysecondrow
04-01-2016, 08:52 AM
He had 30 days to train, put together a plan, organize a team, market the event, then execute. It is remarkable, enough so that it created 15 pages of dialogue on the subject.

It turns out he won the bet, he was also successful in marketing this stunt. Win/Win.

It seems to be an affront to people that a non-cyclist just biked 330 miles. Does him succeeded somewhat shatter the notion that cycling is a hard sport? Maybe for some.

Regardless, the hate runs strong in this thread though, it is amusing.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I wonder what his actual income will be, after expenses. "expenses", and taxes.

That's funny...I'll bet he has one of the best tax accountants in LV..probably pays about what GE pays..

And for right above..I really doubt anybody 'hates' this guy. Hate is such a big word, reserved for those who really deserves it.like my lying, cheating thief of a biz partner..he I hate.

velomonkey
04-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Distinction between 'affront' and 'comical'

Distinction between 'hate' and 'good fodder for commentary'

But, hey, if you hate him and find him an affront - so be it, but I doubt that is the way most people feel.

cdn_bacon
04-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Is ridden through a low income inner city with a big flag attached to his bike saying "Someone bet me $600,000 that I couldn't ride this bike 330 miles in 48 hours"

Can we please stop giving this clown an audience.:crap:

ptourkin
04-01-2016, 11:16 AM
He had 30 days to train, put together a plan, organize a team, market the event, then execute. It is remarkable, enough so that it created 15 pages of dialogue on the subject.

It turns out he won the bet, he was also successful in marketing this stunt. Win/Win.

It seems to be an affront to people that a non-cyclist just biked 330 miles. Does him succeeded somewhat shatter the notion that cycling is a hard sport? Maybe for some.

Regardless, the hate runs strong in this thread though, it is amusing.

330 miles in 48 hours just isn't that hard, though. I'm more offended that someone was dumb enough to take that bet. I'm 17 years older than he is and I've done that unsupported sub-24, recently.

Louis
04-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Did the bet say he couldn't be towed?

How about riding on a stationary trainer in the back of a van as it drove to Vegas? I bet the rules didn't prohibit that either.

I wouldn't pay a nickel of the amount wagered.

fiamme red
04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
But....it was "more dangerous than SEAL training". :rolleyes:He was photographed at least once during the ride without a helmet. Obviously he didn't think it was dangerous enough to wear one.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/01/the-biggest-jerk-on-instagram-just-won-his-600k-bike-bet/

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/bilzerian2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=720