PDA

View Full Version : OT: Phone Choice Nexus 6P?

metalheart
02-24-2016, 11:54 AM
My AT&T Samsung S4 has a fried mother board and needs to be replaced. After some quick internet searches the Nexus 6P appears to be a reasonable choice for me, even though it seems a bit big for riding. I use my phone more when riding than any other time, so fitting in a jersey pocket or some other storage options while riding is important.

I was going to get an iPhone 6 (not the plus or S models), but an outright buy for that phone is about $750 and the Nexus phone is about $200 less if I understand the pricing. The price difference seems to make the Nexus phone a better option.

Anyone here riding with a Nexus 6P and have any pluses or minuses to add to my hand wringing?

Footnotes: I do not get cell service at my house so I just use my phone when out riding, traveling, or just out and about. I use a few apps (Glympse and some others available on all platforms), do some texting, and use the phone to control my Kickr. Although I don't need a phone with a lot of features, it seems there is some future proofing with the Nexus 6P that is worth paying over some other phones?

bagochips3
02-24-2016, 12:26 PM
I have the Nexus 5x and love it. The 6p is a better phone, but I think the 6p is a bit big to carry in a jersey, but your mileage may vary. The 5x barely fits in the wallet (http://elevengear.com/product/butyl-rubber-clutch-wallet/) I use to carry my phone.

The thing I love best about the 5x/6p is that it works with Project Fi (https://fi.google.com/account?u=0). I am usually on Wifi when I use data, so my bills have been around $23/month ($20 base plus $3 or so for data). Coverage has been great, but coverage depends on where you are; it goes over T-Mobile or Sprint or Wifi (whichever is better at the time). So if you don't have coverage from those carriers, might not be a good solution for you. I have had no issues with coverage and love the low cost.

GScot
02-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Good discussion topic. I have two Verizon unlimited data lines which I have been resisting giving up but Verizon continues to invent new ways to jack the price. Just bumped it $40 a month. I really want to switch to Google Fi and tell Verizon to get bent but I do like having a strong signal everywhere I go and unlimited data. Of course I rarely use much more than 2Gb a month anyway.

I would order a Nexus today if it wasn't so ridiculously large. Even the smaller 5 seems huge. How do people carry around such huge phones. I always buy the smallest available which right now is a Droid Mini and keep it in my front pocket.

deechee
02-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Btw, is the Kickr tested to work with the 6P? Wahoo seems a little slow in the testing (http://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204280464-Android-Device-and-Product-Compatibility-) verification. My wife got me the remote controlled BB8 toy for Christmas, and it didn't work with my Nexus5 (2013) initially. Android has gotten much better since KitKat, but the compatibility issues are still out there which is really aggravating.

If you want smaller, check out the Sony Z3 Compact or Z5 Compact. Plenty of power in the sub 5" screens. I've thought about it since my Nexus5 has the crappiest camera, but anecdotal evidence suggests QC issues and horrible warranty service.

If you want to future proof though, have you looked at Fairphone (https://www.fairphone.com/phone/), the new Galaxy 7, LG G5 and upcoming Google Ara modular smartphone designs?

Btw, WindowsPhones are damn cheap, and maybe not have the Kickr support (use a tablet?), but for phoning and texting, you can easily get a Lumia 550 unlocked for just over 100$, with offline maps & other basics. I love the UI, and it does the basics just fine.

teleguy57
02-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Happy with my Nexus 5. Fits in pants pocket, sport coat pocket, my Waterfield Ride Pouch.

93legendti
02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
I've bought iPhone 5's and 6's from Gazelle on eBay (iPhone 6plus, 64gb with Apple Care for $439 shipped) and iPads from Gazelle's pre certified site.

Never pay full retail.

http://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/catalog/iphones/?search_query=&page=1&limit=12&sort=bestselling&brand=40&category=24&is_category_page=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones-Smartphones-/9355/m.html?_ssn=gazelle-store&Carrier=Unlocked%7CT%252DMobile&_sop=16&hash=item5660cfe4ab&item=370991424683&_geositeid=0&pt=Cell_Phones&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_from=R40&_nkw=iphone+6&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

zmudshark
02-24-2016, 05:08 PM
I've bought iPhone 5's and 6's from Gazelle on eBay (iPhone 6plus, 64gb with Apple Care for $439 shipped) and iPads from Gazelle's pre certified site.

Never pay full retail.

http://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/catalog/iphones/?search_query=&page=1&limit=12&sort=bestselling&brand=40&category=24&is_category_page=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones-Smartphones-/9355/m.html?_ssn=gazelle-store&Carrier=Unlocked%7CT%252DMobile&_sop=16&hash=item5660cfe4ab&item=370991424683&_geositeid=0&pt=Cell_Phones&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_from=R40&_nkw=iphone+6&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

I looked at Gazelle and Ting closely before I bought. I decided I'd rather spend a bit more to not have someone's old toilet phone.

YMMV.

toytech
02-24-2016, 05:09 PM
I love my 6p. bought on amazon. Android - bloat ware = win:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

buckfifty
02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
I have a nexus 6p that I carry in my jersey pocket when riding. Haven't had a problem with it fitting into any of my jerseys' pockets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ceolwulf
02-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Never had an Android phone, but if I were to get one it would be a Sony, for the waterproofness. Something to consider perhaps.

ftf
02-24-2016, 05:48 PM
I switched from a die hard android user, from the original moto droid, various galaxy and Note devices to an apple Iphone 6 Plus and I don't forsee switching back. A new 64gb from Apple is 650, outright, not sure where you are getting 750. The Android phone is 550 for the 64, so 100 apart not 200. The 128 for both is Iphone 750 and Android 650, still 100 apart.

For me the Iphone is far more durable, I've had my Iphone for over a year now, with no sign of wear, and I'd have gone though at least one Samsung device by now. I also think the Iphone is more future proof than Android devices, by now I'd have been wanting a new phone, as the android devices I've used mentioned above slowed quite dramatically in a year or so, but the Tphone feels as fast as the day I bought it. It doesn't sound like you use any of the customization of android devices, so I don't think you are losing out there.

Geeheeb
02-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Never had an Android phone, but if I were to get one it would be a Sony, for the waterproofness. Something to consider perhaps.

I have a cheaper M4 Aqua and its great for a budget phone. Crappy camera but I really don't have to worry about sweating on it or the rain.

93legendti
02-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy 5 Active is waterproof (not sure if there is a 6 active). At least the last 3 Motorola Droids are water resistant.

rnhood
02-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Why do you need such an expensive phone if you don't get cell service at home, nor waste time playing with a lot of apps? A Moto G is waterproof and will do everything you need - and a lot more. I believe they are about $180 new, and unlocked. The Nexus 6P is no doubt a nice phone but, why spend so much for not much more?

metalheart
02-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Why do you need such an expensive phone if you don't get cell service at home, nor waste time playing with a lot of apps? A Moto G is waterproof and will do everything you need - and a lot more. I believe they are about $180 new, and unlocked. The Nexus 6P is no doubt a nice phone but, why spend so much for not much more?

All the above comments are useful and have widened my search. One other footnote that may explain some of what if driving assembling some choices: my Samsung S4 was fried by an issue related to inserting the charging connector wrong and bending the pins and things went south from there. I have done this twice before, once under warranty when the entire phone was replaced and once after when the cost was just to replace the charging port. So, the attraction of the Nexus phones is the USB-C that can be inserted in any orientation: With Type-C, a USB cable's both ends will be the same, allowing for reversible plug orientation. You also don't need to worry about plugging it in upside down. That is also the attraction of the iPhones with lightening connectors. Maybe that should not be an important decision point, but my history is not good with the micro USB connectors. Otherwise, the Moto G, and X Pure Edition look like excellent choices...... And, one of the nice things about my wife's iPhone is the ability to use wifi to make and receive calls and texts: it solves the issue of no reception at home. That wifi feature is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice....

Still thinking.

On another note, I went for a ride today and borrowed my wife's iPhone 6sPlus and it was just fine in my jersey pocket. I can handle a bigger phone, but a smaller one would be just fine too. We also have iPads to control the Kickr, so that is not a big issue.....

93legendti
02-24-2016, 08:20 PM
You can also buy refurbished iPhone 5's and 5s' very cheaply. I just bought one for my son's first phone. Checks a lot of boxes for you and very reasonable.

mgreene888
02-25-2016, 06:36 AM
I too have a Nexus 5x and despite the various problems people post about, mine has been perfect and I really like it. (It's funny that the problems people have with tech items dominate the reviews and interesting that a certain percentage of these items are just lemons. Even though I realize this, I have been paralyzed by the horror stories every time I start shopping for a replacement for my lap top.)

That said, although I like the phone, Project Fi didnt work out for me. It was OK in town but 30mi away where I work, I was not getting coverage, even though the T-mobile/Sprint coverage map showed that I would get LTE.

I had to go back to ATT. If you dont use much data, ATT has a 2gig plan that is $40 a month, when pre-paid - the same as Fi's basic deal for 2 gigs.

Mike

eddief
02-25-2016, 07:28 AM
gets damn high marks across the board for $100 less than Nexus 6.

cdn_bacon
02-25-2016, 07:42 AM
a nexus 5. mine works awesome and it's benchmark competes with the bigger 5x and 6 with a nice clear screen.

and if it gets trashed you're looking at a $150 vs $400.

sitzmark
02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
... And, one of the nice things about my wife's iPhone is the ability to use wifi to make and receive calls and texts: it solves the issue of no reception at home. That wifi feature is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice....

If cellular service at home is of any benefit to you, you can get a network extender (microcell) which basically creates a cell tower in your location when linked (microcell->Cat5/6->router->modem) to a home-based ISP. Microcells are available from your cellular provider or on CL/eBay at significant savings.

I'm with you on smaller form factor for cycling. Now using iP6, but much preferred the size back in the days of iP4. Have VZW unlimited data plans and stream everything, anywhere (almost) - Apple Music, YouTube, vids, FIOS, SlingBox, cloud data, home server data - to my phone. Even with large multimedia use, I'd still like to have a smaller phone for active use (cycling, skiing, etc.). Of course want it to be as or more powerful in the smaller size.

ceolwulf
02-25-2016, 08:48 AM
If you want a smaller phone, Apple will be introducing a 4" iPhone "5se" most likely next month.

metalheart
02-25-2016, 08:56 AM
I have a short-term solution. A friend loaned me his spare phone, a Lumina 928 Windows Phone (8.1) and I can use that for rides and some of the other basics while I sort out a permanent solution. Before my post, I was not aware of the Moto options and I too was given pause by some of the Nexus 5 reviews. I can now sort out what are the deal breaker issues such as charging ports, wireless charging, wifi calling, replaceable battery, etc... I have modest if not basic needs in a phone so I want to avoid paying for features and power I will not use.

Thanks for the education in cell-phones, I love this forum...... Great day here for a ride and looking forward to NAHBS opening day tomorrow!