PDA

View Full Version : Local Boston question - Ride Studio Cafe

merlinmurph
02-24-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm curious - what is the relationship between RSC and Seven?

Does Seven own it? Own part of it? Financed it?

Again, I'm just curious.
FWIW, I made a visit there asking about an Evergreen, and Patria was fantastic to deal with. I went during a weekday so that it would be quiet there and I could monopolize her time, and it was a very good visit.

sandyrs
02-24-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm curious - what is the relationship between RSC and Seven?

Does Seven own it? Own part of it? Financed it?

Again, I'm just curious.
FWIW, I made a visit there asking about an Evergreen, and Patria was fantastic to deal with. I went during a weekday so that it would be quiet there and I could monopolize her time, and it was a very good visit.

I don't know about the corporate structure- I would assume they are independent- but (co-)owner Rob Vandermark is also the founder and owner of Seven.

benb
02-24-2016, 09:05 AM
I almost just bought a Seven through them... cancelled my deposit due to $$ & family concerns mostly.

Ride Studio Cafe is basically a Seven flagship store that happens to sell Coffee. They are kind of weird about this and don't really come out and say that's what's going on. They also sell plenty of other good stuff with a focus on all weather/all conditions riding.

When they first opened they sold other bikes besides Seven (Cervelo). They just sell Seven (custom) and Honey (stock, manufactured by Seven) right now.

Rob is there quite a bit, particularly on the weekend but is pretty focused on people who have appointments for fitting. If you go for a fitting you have a good chance he's going to do your fitting. (He did mine) He kind of hides who he is.. he's just "Rob the fitter". It's a little strange. He also sometimes leads rides, he knows the roads & trails in the area really well.

The high point of the place is the rides & events.. their rides are a ton of fun, and they do lots of neat stuff like playing big cycling races live on their big screen TV, etc.. all the food/coffee/tea is excellent. If you just walk in and have coffee or something it feels weird but if you go on the rides and start to know people it's a lot of fun.

I haven't quite figured exactly what is going on but there is a crew of people leading the rides who maybe aren't racing but are "sponsored" or something. They wear Seven/RSC clothes and such, some of them do some pretty impressive events particularly in terms of mileage.

eBAUMANN
02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Basically, RSC is a bike/coffee shop that acts as a seven flagship store, as others here have already mentioned, thats about it.

What is it that you find "weird" about it ben? No weirder than any other coffee shop you might stop in, unless you don't like bikes or something haha. I only ever go there on rides when Im already with a group of friends, so its never been a big deal about "knowing people there" or anything like that.

RSC has a team. Its a women team that does "adventure" style gravel/dirt rides/races in NE. Its pretty low-key but it exists. They are sponsored by the shop and maybe a few other local companies, pretty standard stuff.

Beyond that, I would imagine that employees at seven might go on/lead rides out of RSC, because they are being organized by friends of theirs.

Bottom line, its a good shop with a lot to offer, in a great location, run by friendly/knowledgeable folks who make great coffee and bikes.

Bruce K
02-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Probably folks like Matt and Mo Bruno Roy.

Mo raced Honeys for years and Matt used to race and is if into Randoneur/Adventure cycling

BK

FlashUNC
02-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Rob pulled some coffee for The Boss for about a half hour when we visited. I knew Seven basically used it as their flagship store, so I showed her a photo of Rob from the Seven website. No way it was Rob Vandermark right? "That was him!"

So kudos to Rob for distracting The Boss long enough for me to geek out over their bike stuff.

sandyrs
I almost just bought a Seven through them... cancelled my deposit due to $$ & family concerns mostly.

Ride Studio Cafe is basically a Seven flagship store that happens to sell Coffee. They are kind of weird about this and don't really come out and say that's what's going on. They also sell plenty of other good stuff with a focus on all weather/all conditions riding.

When they first opened they sold other bikes besides Seven (Cervelo). They just sell Seven (custom) and Honey (stock, manufactured by Seven) right now.

Rob is there quite a bit, particularly on the weekend but is pretty focused on people who have appointments for fitting. If you go for a fitting you have a good chance he's going to do your fitting. (He did mine) He kind of hides who he is.. he's just "Rob the fitter". It's a little strange. He also sometimes leads rides, he knows the roads & trails in the area really well.

The high point of the place is the rides & events.. their rides are a ton of fun, and they do lots of neat stuff like playing big cycling races live on their big screen TV, etc.. all the food/coffee/tea is excellent. If you just walk in and have coffee or something it feels weird but if you go on the rides and start to know people it's a lot of fun.

I haven't quite figured exactly what is going on but there is a crew of people leading the rides who maybe aren't racing but are "sponsored" or something. They wear Seven/RSC clothes and such, some of them do some pretty impressive events particularly in terms of mileage.

As far as ride leaders go at least some of those people I know (don't want to name them on a public forum) are not sponsored, they are club members who are really enthusiastic about the studio. I haven't been on one of their rides in a while so I can't speak to every ride leader of course.

eBAUMANN
Probably folks like Matt and Mo Bruno Roy.

Mo raced Honeys for years and Matt used to race and is if into Randoneur/Adventure cycling

BK

You mean sevens? Ive never seen either of them on a honey ;)

benb
02-24-2016, 09:38 AM
It may be more like just club members... hard to say though as it doesn't seem like it's an advertised club, and then there are some people who are suddenly in RSC kits. Most of them ride Sevens, but not all IIRC.

I haven't been on any of their rides in a couple months.. I miss them, I'm on a training plan right now and riding like a slave to it and it's hard to say how those rides fit in.. they are super fun.

sandyrs
02-24-2016, 09:42 AM
It may be more like just club members... hard to say though as it doesn't seem like it's an advertised club, and then there are some people who are suddenly in RSC kits. Most of them ride Sevens, but not all IIRC.

I haven't been on any of their rides in a couple months.. I miss them, I'm on a training plan right now and riding like a slave to it and it's hard to say how those rides fit in.. they are super fun.

Yeah, weird. I don't know where the part of the website about the club went. I was in it for a couple years. Maybe they shut down that program.

merlinmurph
02-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't know Rob was a co-owner. I saw Patria is listed as a co-owner in her email footer.

Thanks again,
Murph

tv_vt
02-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Never been in there, but have wanted to visit. Heard they were a Rapha dealer, too, but have either dropped Rapha or were dropped by them.

Ti Designs
02-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Yeah, weird. I don't know where the part of the website about the club went. I was in it for a couple years. Maybe they shut down that program.

In the past, the larger and faster group rides have been run by a group called Keep It Tight or KIT. I can't say enough good things about this group, it's a collection of riders who have kids, mortgages and full time jobs, but also put a priority on getting out on their bikes. As a result the rides they run are, for a lack of a better term, tight. While they understand that fast is fun, and their rides will from time to time pick up the pace, they always have control and bring the group back together when needed.

This past season the RSC took back control of their rides, creating what they call their Red Line rides. There is a tighter control over speeds on these rides, so if you're expecting a 16 - 18 MPH ride, that's pretty much what you'll get.

There is a need for both types of rides, both will continue. The RSC's rides will continue to grow this year, as they do the web site will become more inviting of new riders.

The Ride Studio Cafe is what the large shop a few miles away doesn't know how to be - a part of the cycling community. They have run a series of mixed terrain rides which have picked up momentum and gotten many new riders out on the trails (behind my house). If they are selling a good number of Seven or Honey bikes, it's because they've earned those sales by creating new riders, not just waiting for them to walk in the door.

Starting a club or group ride isn't that easy. Every group ride has it's own set of rules and every rider comes to the ride with their own set of expectations. There are conflicts, and we haven't even gotten to differences in ability yet. Starting up a new ride is also a question of how you fit it into the rider's schedules. On any given Saturday morning there's a ride from Quad cycles, a ride from the CycleLoft, a ride from Harvard square, an early ride from Starbucks in Winchester, a RSC ride and the KIT ride. You almost have to offer cash to get people to come to a new ride...

572cv
02-24-2016, 04:51 PM
I don't know RSC but really, this sounds like a great outreach effort. And if they have to sell stuff to make it work, well, its good stuff.

I was in Nice, France in the fall, and had a chance to go to the Cafe du Cyclistes place of biz, where they sell bikes, rent bikes (highend, very cher), do fittings, sell clothes of nice quality and thought, serve up coffee and some chow, and seem to have a good time doing it. They also put up ride routes on the web all around the area, generally encouraging our great sport on their great terrain.There is a really cool large scale relief map of the area too. I'm pleased to know RSC is onto the concept. Way to go.

Corso
02-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Gotta be honest: I’ve also felt a “weird” vibe at the Studio.

It has ZERO to do with Rob or the staff, as they have all been great (I met Rob way back when he was at Merlin, mountain bike race-scene days.) Rob is ALWAYS a good guy, simply because he is.

It’s more a group of cyclist hanging out, drinking coffee, but all the while, they stare at you as if you entered a private club un-invited. I’ve have always greeted the stares with a “how’s it going”, “what’s up, etc etc…and often it’s returned with silence…and more staring.

I always laugh it off, (it’s happened at least 3 times) but man, grow the hell up folks. I’ve ridden some sweet trails that wind around Lexington near the shop and in between neighborhoods, but why would I want to do a group ride, with the chance of being on the road with this crowd?

Ti Designs
02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
It’s more a group of cyclist hanging out, drinking coffee, but all the while, they stare at you as if you entered a private club un-invited.

Try showing up while wearing the team jacket from another local shop. To be honest, that happens everywhere.

I’ve ridden some sweet trails that wind around Lexington near the shop and in between neighborhoods, but why would I want to do a group ride, with the chance of being on the road with this crowd?

'Cause eventually they'll warm up to you. The Across Lexington trails are sweet, but riding with other people means you get to learn where other trails are.

Bruce K
02-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I guess they were Seven Mud Honeys.....:crap:

BK

guido
02-25-2016, 06:55 AM
I'm generally a lone wolf type and am a whole lot older than most of the folks there but I have never felt in the least bit welcome the several times I have ventured into RSC. So I generally don't bother any more.

superbowlpats
02-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Well they do serve great coffee (George Howell) :)

guido
02-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Well they do serve great coffee (George Howell) :)

So does the Starbuck's or Pete's across the street with a lot less attitude.

sandyrs
02-25-2016, 07:28 AM
This thread is making me realize how crazy it is that there hasn't been a forum ride in a couple years. There are so many of us around here.

sandyrs
02-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Also, I think a lot of the clique mentality being objected to on this thread is a symptom of the cycling community at large, not RSC specifically, but RSC is getting the flak because they're one of the only places that actually facilitates cyclists congregating and socializing.

pinkshogun
02-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Do any of you who feel 'weird' in RSC also feel weird in Harris Cycles?

ptourkin
02-25-2016, 07:40 AM
So does the Starbuck's or Pete's across the street with a lot less attitude.

Starbucks has never served a great cup of coffee.

old fat man
02-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Also, I think a lot of the clique mentality being objected to on this thread is a symptom of the cycling community at large, not RSC specifically, but RSC is getting the flak because they're one of the only places that actually facilitates cyclists congregating and socializing.

Well said. How many of your close friends off the bike are also cyclists? Most cyclists I meet come across as socially awkward until we get to know each other. And getting to know one another is not a 30 second exercise before or during a large group ride.

As for the KIT squad keeping it tight...that is laughable. I applaud their enthusiasm and inclusive nature , but their rides are definitely not tight. Evidence being - RSC has pulled back ownership and responsibility for the rides affiliated with their studio.

guido
02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Do any of you who feel 'weird' in RSC also feel weird in Harris Cycles?
Slightly less so at Harris, but i know Elton fairly well and generally just work with him. But at least at Harris you are generally greeted and purchases are facilitated without too much difficulty. At RSC I had to be pretty pushy just to buy a tube of chain lube... But that was before I found NFS so perhaps that too had a purpose...;)

benb
02-25-2016, 08:00 AM
I bought my All City at Harris.. I haven't been in there since 2014 (I used to work less than a mile away) but it's very hard to compare.

Harris is a straight up bike shop, not a club/coffee shop/whatever.

I only get the weird vibe at RSC if I walk in there in street clothes. Show up for a ride and everyone is super nice.

I had almost completely swore off group rides since I got married and had a child as the previous rides I had been going on when I lived/worked in NH were suicidally bad in terms of ride safety.. not fun at all. Going on a few of the rides out of RSC has really rekindled my faith that a bunch of people can ride together and not be idiots.

Ti Designs
02-25-2016, 08:21 AM
This thread is making me realize how crazy it is that there hasn't been a forum ride in a couple years. There are so many of us around here.

Yeh, what he said...

It's pretty easy to get me on my bike, if there's a ride starting somewhere within a 25 mile radius, I'll ride out and join in. Within 50 miles if we're on the tandem.

I'm a terrible ride leader in that I'm lost almost 100% of the time. I can get places and I know trails and good roads, but nothing is connected in my mind. So I can't organize or lead a ride, but I do love a good group ride.